View Single Post
Old 03-28-2003, 09:53 PM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

What HTML file?

This page is now generated with PHP.

Do you mean the latin names? That is coming very soon.

Do you mean all the dietary/pricing information? I've never put that on the white fish guide before but I suppose we could if there is enough request for it.

The idea with all this PHP stuff is that I can add a fish and with 4 mouseclicks, the fish guide (black bkgnd) is updated and the new print guide (white bkgnd) PDF is generated. It wouldn't be too hard to add another PDF with more info.

Would you guys like to see this PDF spread out to 2 pages to give more info about the fish and produce slightly larger fish photos?

Actually, I spent quite a bit of effort getting these fish to fit on 1 page. I realize with the next fish pack, we will have to split onto 2 pages. FYI, we don't really HAVE to use PDF. By using all GIF files forced to certain sizes (I am doing a 66% scale on all images using width tags), Internet Explorer *does* print the page correctly. Have not tested Netscape though.

More technical info:
The fish are captured at 1600x1024 and then the aspect ratio is corrected. I threw away all the previous work on this page and started fresh, capturing all the fish new. By the time the fish appear in the PHP/PDF, they are being scaled down 66% without lowering the quality (the resolution goes up from 72 to 109dpi).

Also it hasn't been mentioned, but Michael (Jav400) captured all the photos for the Fish Guide page with anti-aliasing turned on and with a black background. We threw out the old pictures and started over. I think it really cleaned up a lot of the pictures.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote