View Single Post
Old 09-21-2001, 07:07 PM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: The joke was on me...

I have no way of undeleting it. I'm sorry that I deleted your post.

I did state that I had every intention of deleting the whole topic just as soon as I had confirmation from Steven that what he got was a hoax (As we pretty much assumed it was).

If you receive an e-mail announcing a virus, check it out at one of these locations (hope this list has at least some of the sites Arnold mentioned):

<font size=+1>Symantec Virus Hoax list
McAfee Virus Hoax list
Urban Legends recent Real Viruses + Hoaxes list
VMyths Virus Hoax List
VMyths How to Spot a Virus Hoax
</font>

<font size=+1 color=DDDD00>Following message should not imply that you shouldn't run a virus checker periodically, especially if you are exposed to data and discs from a variety of sources, some of which might be unsafe. I only describe my own experience and my own situation. Your mileage may vary!</font>

I delete all the virus warnings and hoaxes as they come thru my e-mail. I almost consider it spam. I haven't kept a virus checker on my computer in the 16 years I have been using computers, from the Macintosh days to the PC days. Right now, I have no virus checker installed whatsoever. I don't use Outlook or Outlook Express, and I am always very wary about zip files and never open executables sent to me by e-mail.

Occasionally, I will wonder why my system is running slow and download an up-to-date virus checker to see what the problem is, but the result is always the same. No infections whatsoever. It's typically a configuration issue or a reboot is required (much less often with win2k)

Indeed, prevention and using no-compromise software is the best way to stay virus free.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote