Thread: Where were you?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2002, 05:28 PM   #17
Lightfeather

Oh and this year was great! It smelled like everyone in Gilroy was cooking an Italian dish because the tomato cannery was going and chives were also being harvested and the garlic from the festival of course... Mmmm. I was so permeated with garlic you could smell it on my skin.

I remember one year when I was too young to go to the festival by myself, I got my dad to buy a bunch of soda, water and ice so that I could sell it to the people stuck in their cars behind our house. (The street becomes a virtual parking lot because that is where everyone has to drive to get to the festival parking.) Of course my father made me take my younger sister along, so we filled up a cooler and set up shop. We hired a few of the neighbor boys to run quick as lightning to the cars whose owners were waiving cash out the window, take orders and deliver the refreshment. We were even making money on little bags of ice! Pretty soon all the kids in the neighbor hood were helping.

After it was all done, my father taught me a lesson in business by collecting the money he originally put down to buy the sodas! I was shocked because I took the cost of the drinks for granted. After he had done that we had a little over half the total amount we made left to divide between us. We worked all day, and because I let everyone help who wanted to help, we all ended up with about ten bucks each.

I was so mad that I fired my sister and a few of her friends so the next day I wouldn't feel so gypped since it was my idea in the first place and my parents made me let her help.

Needless to say, I was grounded and had to stay home for the next day while my sister got to go back and sell more sodas.

Poo huh?
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Lightfeather is offline   Reply With Quote