View Single Post
Old 04-13-2002, 09:24 AM   #208
CephaloP
lurking in the shadows...

Lol, looks like I drew in a crowd. "Hey, everyone, come see the guy who's video card is too big!"

SunKing- no worries, I guess I was kind of naive assuming whatever I got would be compatible with my computer. I actually wondered about it for a sec before buying, but I figured if there was that big an element of getting the right card for the right pc, I would see something like a "gateway version card" or something to that effect being offered for sale. You know, something saying "Here I am, this is the one you need, most others wouldn't work for you!" Seems like you make the most profit by selling something everyone can use, not just a few people.

Anyway, Tiny, that picture is VERY helpful. What I'm seeing in my pc is two slots (one already being taken up by the modem I think) that look exactly like the PCI slots in the pic according to color, ect. I see nothing like that AGP slot.

Also, and this is where I'm really going to show my ignorance, since I don't know the proper names for things, on the back of the computer there are little metal doors for components that stick out the back of the case, lining up with the slots inside. The technical term I'm assigning to these is "doors." Each door has a "shelf" which needs to be unscrewed from the case to open the door. The video card, as well as the modem? (it looks shaped to take a phone jack) also have "shelves" which sit on the case's shelves and get screwed in when the component is installed. The thing is, with the card I bought, the shelf is about an inch higher than the case's shelf, and it looks impossible for the back part of the card to even fit through the door. Also, the "gold connector stuff" at the bottom of the card, which is obviously what goes into the slot, seems to be too far from the back of the card to fit into the slot even if the card could fit in the door. This seems to make sense now since the AGP slot in the picture is farther away from the back of the case than the PCI.

So, what I'm guessing is, I got a AGP card when I only have a PCI slot? Does this also tie in to the phenomenon of "card being too tall for door"? Or does that make any sense at all?

If it is just a matter of getting a PCI card, any suggestions?

And thanks for your time and effort. You guys are rather more helpful than Gateway tech support.
CephaloP is offline   Reply With Quote