View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #34
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Ralph:
Okay... moving my play list and the altlogo.png from my \\downloads folder where they have sat and worked for many generations... to C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\Marine Aquarium 3.. and both the music and the alt logo work... SORT OF...

A multi monitor issue.. when in full screen the alt logo does not work on the second screen, strangely the portion that scrolls onto the main screen does change. When in a window the alt logo works just fine.

Still somewhat confused though about the placement of files... through this whole testing process I have kept the updated zip files in my download folder.. unzipped there and over write the existing MA3Beta.scr file.. Then a shortcut on my desktop to this file starts the SS.. Simple and easy.

I guess that I would expect the MA3Beta.scr file to be copied to the new folder as well and possible an offer of placing a short cut on the desktop. If the MA3Beta.scr was zipped with a path would it then not unzip to that location? Keeping it all together seems a logical final goal...

My choice for ultimate destination of all these files would have been in the program folder.. again to keep it all together in a place "most" software goes.. and where one starts looking for software installed  
Programs go in C:\Program Files\.

Data goes in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\ApplicationName. This is Windows 2000/XP/Vista/WM7 going back 9 years now. Unfortunately programs have ended up putting things in wrong folders, Program Files, or worse the Registry.

The Registry is a rat's nest of overlapping nightmare that I'm surprised anyone can sort out.

I would rather have all Settings and Data stored in "Documents and Settings" (go figure?!) but it was not meant to be.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote