Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Simple additions (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5262)

Dale 03-21-2010 02:52 PM

OK since we didn't get back on topic...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjmaddy (Post 119667)
Terry, - IMO, you are neither polite, nor helpful. - If that is what you are attempting, then you are not succeeding.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. What would constitute being polite and helpful?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjmaddy (Post 119667)
If you have established that installing Windows Media Centre corrects your lack-of-sound problem, then a logical step would be to determine what has been added/changed to/with your system/s by adding the WMC that then allows the MA3 .sgt files to be heard.

I've often wondered how to do that (install something on a Windows computer and then determine exactly and completely what has been changed). How do you do it?

That's a serious question and not intended to be impolite. I'm asking for practical help. Thanks.

cjmaddy 03-24-2010 04:27 AM

Meanwhile, - back on Earth again....

How are things coming along, Jim, - with the eye, the concrete, and the background interface? .... in that order.

Jim Sachs 03-24-2010 09:54 AM

The eyelid is a little better, but I'm still not comfortable to be seen in public. It seems that when I look down and try to avoid eye contact, it just makes people all the more prying and curious.

The concrete turned out fine. Maybe I'll set up a link to some pictures and keep it by Invitation-only, to keep out the psychos.

The lighting interface is coming along slowly. Most people would consider it drudgery, but I find this part quite refreshing. I don't have to invent anything, just DO it. But it's a lot more complex than you might imagine. For example, there must be at least one background color-set active. The default is both #1 and #2. Now the user turns on set 3. On the interface, the box around that set, the top color swatch, the bottoms color-swatch, the edit box for the timer, and the word "Sec" must all be set to Active (non-grayed),and a checkmark must be placed in the "On" box. Each of these things have to be done individually, not in a loop, since they are designated by #defined numbers which are set and changed by Dev Studio, and are not necessarily in a particular order.
The reverse scenario is brought into play when the user turns off a color-set. I must make sure that there is always at least one color-set active, so if all of them are turned off, set #1 must pop on. There are a seemingly infinite number of logical threads that have to be accounted for, but it's coming along.

cjmaddy 03-24-2010 11:59 AM

Yes, that does sound far more complex than I'd imagined it would be! - But I'm sure it will be well received. Changing the colours can affect the whole look and mood of the aquarium so much.... And having user change Registry files is perhaps not the ideal way to do it! ;)

BTW, Jean, (my wife), recalls having an eyelid cyst a few years back. It too was treated by using just hot compresses, (as-hot-as-possible, is what she was told). - It eventually cleared up without any other treatment.

Jim Sachs 03-24-2010 01:08 PM

The problem with changing the numbers for the background colors in the Registry is that you can easily change the "ff" at the beginning of the hexidecimal number, with disastrous visual results on the screen. The new system will eliminate that possibility.

rps 03-27-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 119865)
But it's a lot more complex than you might imagine. For example, there must be at least one background color-set active.

Couldn't you solve this by setting the very first one to "on", and then disabling the on/off part of it? That would make it impossible to turn the first one "off". [Alternatively, you could just not have on on/off for the first color set, to reflect the fact that the first one is not "optional".]

~Ralph S.

rps 03-27-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 119387)
I'll consider some enhancements to the clock/logo system.

Would it be possible to make the sweep-second hand optional? (ie: hour & minute hands only)

Thanks,
~Ralph S.

Jim Sachs 03-27-2010 06:35 PM

Re: keeping the first color set on - The user might want to disable that color set, and use (or cycle through) some others.

Re: Disabling second hand - OK.

Dale 03-27-2010 08:21 PM

If we had a "MA3 Beta Test" forum, you could release stuff for testing and suggestions. ;)

Jim Sachs 03-27-2010 10:26 PM

When it's ready.

Jim Sachs 04-01-2010 08:59 AM

Progress Report: I got bogged down for several days with a detail that I had considered trivial, but turned out to be nearly impossible. The new interface uses buttons which show the color you have chosen. Sounds simple, but nooooo... Windows REALLY doesn't like you to change the color of a button. Anyway, the problem is solved, and I'm back to forward progress.

Surferminn 04-01-2010 09:36 AM

Yay! 2 steps forward, 1 step back, cha-cha-cha!! keep going. :)

cjmaddy 04-01-2010 10:29 AM

You are being serious aren't you? .... It is April 1st, you know. ;)

Jim Sachs 04-01-2010 11:11 AM

Sorry, I pay no attention to dates, days of the week, birthdays, holidays, etc. One day is just like any other to me.

Jav400 04-01-2010 11:17 AM

If you forget anniversaries as well maybe now we know how your eye got messed up.

Sleep on the couch much do you? ;) :p :D:D

Jim Sachs 04-01-2010 12:00 PM

Thanks for reminding me, I think it's coming up.

spetro 04-04-2010 05:26 AM

Very interesting stuff indeed. Its a blast learning the way the "nuts and bolts" go together! :cool:

Jim Sachs 04-04-2010 10:02 AM

The new Background Color interface is in testing.

Jim Sachs 04-09-2010 02:07 PM

Progress Report:

The new background color interface has met with approval by the Alpha Testing team. Right now, I'm working on some additions to the Logo/Clock section, and the fading in-and-out of logos. It's proving to be a bit more of a challenge than I thought, but is under control now. A couple more days, and Beta 11 should be ready for testing by the general Forum members.

Dale 04-09-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 120312)
Progress Report:

The new background color interface has met with approval by the Alpha Testing team. Right now, I'm working on some additions to the Logo/Clock section, and the fading in-and-out of logos. It's proving to be a bit more of a challenge than I thought, but is under control now. A couple more days, and Beta 11 should be ready for testing by the general Forum members.

Will there be any bug fixes in Beta 11? Or just new features?