Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Automatic Notification of Updates (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5431)

Dale 06-13-2010 01:25 PM

Automatic Notification of Updates

I am subscribed to the Update Thread. https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=4385

According to the "Update" thread:

Beta 11o was released yesterday (June 12th) at 12:26 AM (CDT). In other words, about 38 hours ago.

I'm not getting email notification of updates any more, it seems.

JohnWho 06-13-2010 01:29 PM

Me too.

Seems like a "glitch".

Jim Sachs 06-13-2010 01:51 PM

With the last few versions, I've just been updating the text in existing messages on the Announcements thread. I don't know how to get it to send emails.

JohnWho 06-13-2010 01:53 PM

Simply posting a new item will trigger the emails.

Evidently, editing the last post does not.

Perhaps you could add the new post and then delete the prior one?

Dale 06-13-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 122693)
With the last few versions, I've just been updating the text in existing messages on the Announcements thread. I don't know how to get it to send emails.

Oh. That also explains:

"Beta 11o was released yesterday (June 12th) at 12:26 AM (CDT). In other words, about 38 hours ago."

Editing the text of an item doesn't change when it says it was posted.

Nor does it change the "Last Post" date/time on the forum main index page.

I guess I should have noticed the tiny "Last edited by Jim Sachs; Today at 01:00 PM.", but the point was really the lack of email notification.

Jim Sachs 06-13-2010 02:44 PM

I'll add a new post for the next one.

feldon34 06-13-2010 04:51 PM

Jim,

Creating a new post sends a notification e-mail. Also, I've gone back and cleaned up the thread.

Once 3.1 is released, I'll be doing some substantial archiving and cleanup of this forum. Going forward, Michael and I will be working together to improve how future Betas are handled. Beta testing is a privilege and has the goal of producing a product that meets the needs of customers. We've strayed from those goals.

Dale 06-13-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon34 (Post 122719)
Also, I've gone back and cleaned up the thread.

The FAQ discussion of Sleep could be revised.

JohnWho 06-14-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon34 (Post 122719)
Beta testing is a privilege and has the goal of producing a product that meets the needs of customers.

Agreed. (Not that you need my agreement.)

Believe I tried to portray that in this t h r e a d.

Quote:

We've strayed from those goals.
I'm curious, in what way(s)?

I believe that those Forum members who downloaded and installed the various betas have provided a lot of very valuable feedback to Jim which has done exactly what I would assume he hoped - provide "a product that meets the needs of customers" with a variety of new features that have been tested including a few minor "clean ups" of the user interface of Marine Aquarium 3.

Some members have even gone so far as to completely remove all traces of previous versions of MA3 in order to facilitate their contribution to the beta testing.

I feel both honored and privileged to have had the opportunity to work with these board members on this.

Dale 06-14-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 122706)
I'll add a new post for the next one.

Worked just fine.

feldon34 06-15-2010 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWho (Post 122795)
Some members have even gone so far as to completely remove all traces of previous versions of MA3 in order to facilitate their contribution to the beta testing.

It takes 5 seconds to download and run MA3Remove.reg.

cjmaddy 06-15-2010 06:03 AM

:)

JohnWho 06-15-2010 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon34 (Post 122864)
It takes 5 seconds to download and run MA3Remove.reg.

Does it delete all the files in all the directories that have been produced by the various installations of all of the versions of Marine Aquarium or is it only a registry clean-up?

Either way, this isn't something that should be contentious. The fact that some users have been willing to wipe out any tank/fish settings, background color sets, music lists, and logo/image playlists, each of which takes a bit of time to create, to contribute to the beta testing should be appreciated.

Also, you didn't answer my question above regarding "straying from goals" with betas.

feldon34 06-15-2010 06:47 AM

You're right, I didn't.

JohnWho 06-15-2010 07:11 AM

Well, in the words of Jar-Jar Binks:

"How wrude!"

I have learned over the years, that when a Forum or Board owner starts being rude and curt to a member, it is time to leave.

Think I'll take a time out.

feldon34 06-15-2010 08:22 AM

When I try to guide the forums in the direction I think they should be run, people quit.

When I ignore the forums and let them run themselves, people quit.

Maybe it's time to choose the path of least resistance and just let people do what they want.

I could appoint Dale, Cliff, and you as moderators and let the sparks fly.

This forum is 10 years old and has about 10 active members. That is a failure rivaled only by British Petroleum.

Dale 06-15-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon34 (Post 122877)
I could appoint Dale, Cliff, and you as moderators and let the sparks fly.

That is clearly a flame and an attack, and clearly violates the forum rules.

Of much more importance, it is a statement that JohnWho, Cliff, and I have not each made net significant contributions to "the goal of producing a product that meets the needs of customers."

Yeah, Cliff and I often disagree. The result has invariably been a decision regarding product improvement.

I personally consider your statement to be insulting.

That does not mean that I have decided (yet) to quit participating.

feldon34 06-15-2010 08:52 AM

So should I quit and turn over the site to you and John?

feldon34 06-15-2010 09:04 AM

I find it interesting that some of the posters in this thread do not have an avatar or profile pic.

cjmaddy 06-15-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon34 (Post 122879)
So should I quit and turn over the site to you and John?

They've already taken over, haven't they?
Whatever I may be considered to be, I am now enjoying MA less and less as each day goes by.
This used to be my favourite forum to visit..... Not any more!