Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Windows 7 & MA3? (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5145)

garybebee 02-25-2010 11:09 AM

i think there must be something weird going on. ma3 desktop shortcut is the only one that does not give me an option to run as admin. when i right click it?????

garybebee 02-25-2010 11:12 AM

sample music tracks also no joy. i tried right clicking shortcut and the option to "run as administrator is missing???

garybebee 02-25-2010 11:14 AM

all other featyres not associated with sound work fine.

Dale 02-25-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garybebee (Post 118980)
all other featyres not associated with sound work fine.

OK, one last shot in the dark:

Delete the following file:

C:\Users\Your Account Name\AppData\Roaming\Marine Aquarium 3\MA3Playlist.lst

Also, if there is a CanonGuitar.sgt file in that same folder, delete it.

Refresh to make absolutely sure that those files are gone.

Now try MA3.

feldon34 02-25-2010 11:58 AM

Try renaming the file to MarineAquarium3.exe. I don't think Screen Savers are allowed to run as Admin.

garybebee 02-25-2010 12:04 PM

i got the music to work from the sample list that came with win7, but still no bubble sound. i am currently trying to find a loop of bubble sound effects to add as mp3 or wav file which i will then add to the music selection. you don't happen to know what sound source jim used do you? that would be the best source. thanks again. gary

Dale 02-25-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garybebee (Post 118984)
i got the music to work from the sample list that came with win7, but still no bubble sound. i am currently trying to find a loop of bubble sound effects to add as mp3 or wav file which i will then add to the music selection. you don't happen to know what sound source jim used do you? that would be the best source. thanks again. gary

Aha! Well, "assumptions" (and reluctance to insult people) got me again. I "assumed" that you had added metallica from some reasonable file format. And didn't insist on saying "tell us exactly, step by step, ...".

OK, what is the file name of the sample that plays properly in MA3?

The problem is fairly clearly something that's unique to your computer/software combination - probably something that was introduced by some application software that you are running, that hijacked something.

Perhaps you could share with us, what other applications you are running.

The following says it can find out and fix some things about .sgt files - I haven't tried it, and of course it could be a virus or something, so ...

http://www.filetypeshelp.com/types/S...FRHyDAod6j9SeQ

garybebee 02-25-2010 06:11 PM

the sound file that is working is in the music folder under win7 sample\sleep away mp3. i went through and removed some older programs i don't use often and have the disks for, but that did not seem to catch the problem. i don't run any what you would consider exotic programs. no cad or music editing or movie editing types of things. the filetype link you recommend won't load on a 64bit system for some reason. pop-up says only x86. i went back and tried another from the sample list and it too works. seems like mp3 are okay for some reason. i searched the internet for bubble sound loops to add into the music list as a substitute but didn't find anything appropriate.

Jim Sachs 02-25-2010 09:27 PM

Make sure your MIDI drivers are installed and working. Use DXDIAG to check the Sound and Music sections. Under Music, tell us what it says about MIDI.

The default MA3 music is an SGT (segment) file, which is a stripped-down MIDI file. All the fancy proprietary stuff is removed, so it should be very simple for the DirectX drivers to play. The sound card doesn't even need any built-in sounds, since I provide them in the file. The Microsoft DirectMusic Producer tool saves its output as SGT files.

Dale 02-25-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garybebee (Post 119000)
the sound file that is working is in the music folder under win7 sample\sleep away mp3. ...
... i went back and tried another from the sample list and it too works. seems like mp3 are okay for some reason..

I suggest that you find a midi (.mid or .midi extension) somewhere and try it as a diagnostic. I probably won't play - which would confirm the problem.

The good news is that we've finally identified the problem; it's not a bug in MA3.

The bad news is that there is now very little we can do to help you find and fix the reason that your computer won't play those files.

garybebee 02-26-2010 06:14 AM

i typed midi samples in my search engine and then listened to "sabre dance , quite entertaining. i'm not sure how to interpret the dxdiag file i ran. what should i look for?

feldon34 02-26-2010 06:38 AM

You can actually copy and paste the dxdiag file here.

garybebee 02-26-2010 07:26 AM

Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_103C2A86&REV_1002
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5910 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 8/4/2009 09:50:58, 1973792 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Description: Realtek HDMI Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_103C2A86&REV_1002
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
Driver Version: 6.00.0001.5910 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 8/4/2009 09:50:58, 1973792 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No hope you can make something out of all this. looks like greek to me i'm afraid.

Dale 02-26-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garybebee (Post 119014)
i typed midi samples in my search engine and then listened to "sabre dance , quite entertaining.

To be complete, was this file extension .mid or .midi? And please find and try the "other" extension to see if it is handled differently. There is not supposed to be any difference, but.....

OK, so to summarize (if I'm reading this stuff correctly):

Your system plays .mp3 files OK.
Your system plays .mid files OK.
Your system does not play sound that is in .sgt format.

Please confirm that last statement by clicking on the file:

C:\Users\Your Account Name\AppData\Roaming\Marine Aquarium 3\CanonGuitar.sgt

and reporting the results here. (That file usually exists, but may not in some cases).

I have no depth of expertise in how sound stuff works, so I'm just trying to clearly isolate the symptoms so that other folks can help.

Vinz Clortho 02-26-2010 10:48 AM

I agree with Dale. Probably some other piece of software has altered the file association setting for .sgt files. Uninstalling the software doesn't necessarily reset those settings, and I've not been able to find a fix online. There is a way to do it through the folder options in Windows explorer, but I have no idea how.

Jav400 02-26-2010 10:49 AM

Not to be presumptuous, I haven't had time to go back and read through all this, but did you ever try Morgan's suggestion and change to an .exe file and make sure it wasn't just a permissions problem?

garybebee 02-26-2010 12:59 PM

i did rename it .exe but it didn't help.

garybebee 02-26-2010 01:04 PM

i never got the .sgt file to play. the canon guitar it was called i think.

Dale 02-26-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garybebee (Post 119029)
i did rename it .exe but it didn't help.

The suggestion was to rename it .exe, and then right-click it and run as administrator. Just for completeness, did you do that?

[My guess is that it wouldn't change anything, but I'm trying to make sure we dot all the i's and cross all the t's]

Dale 02-26-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garybebee (Post 119030)
i never got the .sgt file to play. the canon guitar it was called i think.

Did you try it directly, by clicking on the file?