Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Names of the Corals? (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4499)

jleslie 11-03-2008 08:13 AM

Can I just say how cool this is - and thanks a lot, I always wondered what a lot of them were...
John

ESHIREY 11-03-2008 09:12 AM

Yes, Thank You. It did help me too.

clifdene 11-03-2008 12:47 PM

Many thanks again. I'm glad I raised the question originally.

simico 11-03-2008 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clifdene (Post 106947)
Many thanks again. I'm glad I raised the question originally.

No worries, my pleasure. Thanks all.

Jav400 11-03-2008 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go, the higher res version.

Surferminn 11-21-2008 05:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, so in the latest beta version, this piece of crystal crashes into the aquarium like a meteor landing on poor Lobophytum and pretty much squishes it good. However, it still managed to maintain it's green color. So is the new green coral under/in front of the crystal still called Lobophytum or is it something else? Is it dead now or still alive?

Jim Sachs 11-21-2008 10:53 AM

It's a Leathar Coral.

G600 11-22-2008 05:57 PM

Leather Coral?
In post #2 of this forum simico has identified the brown mushroomlike coral on the right as a Leather Coral(as second option Vase Coral). In another thread it was called an Elephant Ear Coral.
Can you explain that? :confused:

Jim Sachs 11-22-2008 06:53 PM

Some Forum members have offered their best guesses, but even the experts are inconsistant in the names of coral. If I put in names, I'll make every effort to find the proper ones.

feldon34 11-24-2008 01:04 PM

The improvements in the pink bubble coral are very nice. Thanks!

simico 01-03-2009 04:26 AM

Thanks for the correction Jim! - Just to clarify, the large mushroom like corals next to the new green one is Rhodactis mussoides - Elephant Ear Mushroom Coral. (My previous best guess was Sarkofytun, common name leather coral). It really is very hard to ID these corals 100% without physically having it in front of you, as visually many are so similar. Also latin names have to be used when labeling IDs', as common names, overlap multiple corals, and mean different things to different people, so this could get confusing!

I'm not going to hazard a guess at the new one, (as I have to admit), I wouldn't have guessed it as a leather coral as a contender for my best guess! Again, the form of corals can depend on enviromental factors. i.e. Current strength can cause identical corals to either grow in a branching formation, or in a boulder formation, or flattened out. Obviously lighting conditions, light intensity, the lights colour temperature, duration, etc. also affect growth, but also colour. Corals colour is also altered, (sometimes dramatically), by water conditions (e.g. polutants) and trace element parameters.

f4ewcsjs 04-24-2009 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 106913)
Yes, it's an Open Brain coral.

Jim your work speaks of determination and pride,
Thank you for sharing it with us. As always we'll be waiting the next installment.

James