Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Music - Guitar or Piano or both... (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4432)

Surferminn 10-11-2008 11:32 PM

Music - Guitar or Piano or both...

Okay, a friend and I are having a "discussion" about your CanonGuitar music. I say some parts of it really sounds like piano while other parts guitar. My friend insists it's all guitar. Then, trying to be diplomatic, I say it's all academic because both the piano and guitar are string instruments so the sound is coming from metal strings, where the piano strings are being hammered and the guitar is being plucked or strummed. My friend thinks little of my diplomacy and now less of my logic. So can you please confirm if it's both piano and guitar or if it is 100% guitar? Love the piece, either way.

Jim Sachs 10-11-2008 11:52 PM

It's 100% acoustic nylon-string guitar. The part that sounds a bit like piano is a section where I play the notes in the chords exactly simultaneously, which is virtually impossible on a guitar, but not on a piano. In most areas of the piece, I delay each higher note, to give a strumming effect. I'll probably tune up the timing a bit, but that's a job near the end of a very long list.

Surferminn 10-12-2008 12:18 AM

Oh noooo... I'll have to eat my words now. lol.... Thanks for the answer.

Tiny Turtle 10-12-2008 01:49 PM

Busted! :D

Surferminn 10-13-2008 09:16 AM

Yeah, but Jim gave me an out when he said "which is virtually impossible on a guitar, but not on a piano". I can speak to my good ears picking this up. :p

Jim Sachs 10-13-2008 11:05 AM

I'm just glad that I was able to find a good guitar wave sample that's only 120k. Some of them are 10 megs!

Surferminn 10-13-2008 11:43 AM

Ok, I'm a little confused here. You played this song on a real live nylon string guitar and recorded it over a wave sample file, right? Not that it matters since I like it nonetheless.

Jim Sachs 10-13-2008 12:06 PM

Nope, it's a MIDI instrument with separate waveforms for almost every note. Recording a .WAV file for 5 1/2 minutes of music would make for an incredibly large file. But this way, the MIDI data and the instrument together are only about the size of the texture file for one fish.

For a long time I tried to create a full orchestral version of the Canon, but whenever I got one which sounded good on my Soundblaster Audigy card, it would sound terrible on other machines. This is because a MIDI file is at the mercy of whatever instrument waveforms are packaged with that card or machine. So I needed to package my own waveforms with the file, but soon found out that with so much cheap RAM available these days, no one seems to care that these instruments are HUGE.

So, I scaled back to a single high-quality quitar sound for the default music. Even Cliff doesn't seem to mind it, and he's the world's toughest critic with anything musical. Anyone wishing a full-orchestral version of the Canon can simply download an MP3 file and use that in their Playlist.

cjmaddy 10-19-2008 08:00 AM

:) .... Wow!

I also thought it sounded like there was a piano in there somewhere, at times, (the notes in the centre section sound so percussive).... But there's nothing wrong in that, - is there? ... :)

Jim Sachs 10-19-2008 10:31 AM

Welcome back, Cliff - a bit of catching up to do.

cjmaddy 10-19-2008 03:13 PM

Yes! :rolleyes: ...... When I switched on my computer yesterday, I was confronted with....
Quote:

You last visited: 10-11-2008 at 09:19 AM
811 new posts in 109 topics since your last visit!

Marian Nichols 10-19-2008 04:00 PM

Doesn't pay to miss a day! ;)

ESHIREY 10-19-2008 05:40 PM

I know that feeling. I have over 1400 to catch up on.

Jim Sachs 10-19-2008 06:01 PM

Don't miss any - there will be a test! :)

ESHIREY 10-19-2008 06:07 PM

hahahahaha I bet.

Marian Nichols 10-20-2008 03:32 AM

Hi Ed, you have been missed. (((also on my site,;) )))

ESHIREY 10-20-2008 03:23 PM

Well believe me I missed you and everyone else too. I still have so much to do on here yet. I just now got done with all my e-mail. I started this afternoon at 1pm and just got done. Now it's time to eat and rest my eyes for a little bit before I start reading on here next.