Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Beta11f discussion (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5322)

Jim Sachs 05-03-2010 06:15 PM

JamesGraystone - Are you able to switch the monitor between the two inputs? If so, does it show two different views of the MA3 tank? I'm assuming that the lack of panning is from the system thinking it's already showing the whole width of the tank. (Though it seems like this should have also been happening with XP.)

Dale 05-03-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 121287)
JamesGraystone - Are you able to switch the monitor between the two inputs? If so, does it show two different views of the MA3 tank? I'm assuming that the lack of panning is from the system thinking it's already showing the whole width of the tank. (Though it seems like this should have also been happening with XP.)

If all of the hardware was the same, including having two cables connected at both ends, the same monitor, and the same monitor resolution settings. [Or at least the two resolution settings adding up to full tank width].

Otherwise, he could have been seeing just a little panning, and thinking that's all there was.

cjmaddy 05-04-2010 03:24 AM

James, - I would definitely suggest that you should remove the analog cable, both connections are not needed, and the DVI connection will normally always give far better quality. - The analog option is provided for use with older analog monitors.

I think this analog/digital dual-cable situation has been at the root of your current problem, though why it didn't show with XP may remain a mystery. - I would also suggest always using the latest ATI drivers that work for you on your equipment, (and that are designed for the OS in use).

If as you say, disconnecting the Analog cable results in MA3 not showing the dialog box for multiple monitors, (and MA3 then scrolls as intended), then consider that you have just solved your own problem! :TU:

Dale 05-04-2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjmaddy (Post 121297)
..., then consider that you have just solved your own problem! :TU:

I think there was a bit of assistance from you and some other folks here.

JamesGreystone 05-04-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 121286)
OK, underlying problem fixed. And, for those who jumped at conclusions, it's not a MA3 problem with Windows 7.

[There was this guy who jumped at the conclusion of a mule ... but I digress]

Same hardware (computer, video card, etc.) - just upgraded from XP to W7? Same monitor? Same two cables connected on both ends?

Yes to all questions, except you can't upgrade xp to win 7 so it was a new install on a new hard drive.

JamesGreystone 05-04-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 121287)

Hi Jim I tested what you asked and am able to switch from analog to DVI and you are correct it shows 2 different views left and right.

So it thinks I have 2 monitors set up, it was okay in XP so I think Win 7 must just be more sophisticated.

I played with some settings, under multiple monitors(because win 7 thinks I have 2 becuase of analog and DVI inputs), and there is a setting called duplicate displays which basically tells it that it is one monitor. After doing this MA3 box to render same image on all monitors dissapeared.

Win 7 is the culprit in this case.

Thanks Jim.

JamesGreystone 05-04-2010 10:06 AM

Thanks to all for getiing my MA3 looking so pretty once again.
If only Microsoft and Apple support were so helpful.

Cheers :):):):):)

Dale 05-04-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 121288)
If all of the hardware was the same, including having two cables connected at both ends, the same monitor, and the same monitor resolution settings. [Or at least the two resolution settings adding up to full tank width].

... but it worked differently in XP...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesGreystone (Post 121309)
Hi Jim I tested what you asked and am able to switch from analog to DVI and you are correct it shows 2 different views left and right.

So it thinks I have 2 monitors set up, it was okay in XP so I think Win 7 must just be more sophisticated.

Win 7 is the culprit in this case.

Not that it makes a real difference here, but it's more likely that there is some difference in the behavior of the ATI drivers, rather than than Windows 7. [I'm not defending W7 - but it's sometimes helpful to precisely identify where the difference lies]

JohnWho 05-04-2010 02:32 PM

I agree with Dale -

it appears that Win 7 is more "sophisticated", as JamesGreystone points out, so it is able to handle more sophisticated installations.

Personally, based on what I've read in this thread, the "culprit" really is/was the setup. I suspect the manual or instructions for that video card may mention something about not using both outputs/cables on the same monitor at the same time.

Perhaps someone can come up with a logical reason to do it?

Jav400 05-04-2010 02:36 PM

AFAIK there isn't one

Dale 05-04-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWho (Post 121318)
Perhaps someone can come up with a logical reason to do it?

OK, stretching things a little.

If I had an application that would only work at a lower resolution setting, I could run that application on the "analog" screen, set up at a lower resolution. Then I could use the monitor controls to switch between that input and the normal, higher-resolution DVI input.

I've actually seen such technical cases - they were always run with two monitors, to avoid having to toggle the inputs on one monitor. But if you could only afford one monitor......

Wizwad 05-04-2010 02:46 PM

I keep feeling there's something missing here. Maybe something along the lines of "You're welcome!" or "Pleased to be able to help!" :p :D

JohnWho 05-04-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 121322)
OK, stretching things a little.

If I had an application that would only work at a lower resolution setting, I could run that application on the "analog" screen, set up at a lower resolution. Then I could use the monitor controls to switch between that input and the normal, higher-resolution DVI input.

I've actually seen such technical cases - they were always run with two monitors, to avoid having to toggle the inputs on one monitor. But if you could only afford one monitor......

Ah, ha -

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4493/bowdown2.gif

Dale 05-04-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesGreystone (Post 121310)
Thanks to all for getiing my MA3 looking so pretty once again.

Cheers :):):):):)

Most of us enjoy troubleshooting - and the tougher the problem, the better. It's particularly satisfying when we can resolve a problem in an initially-unexpected way.

Those who are just reading along are learning a lot, along with us.

So, thanks for participating in our education and entertainment.

:TU:

JohnWho 05-04-2010 06:01 PM

Back to beta 11f for a moment -

Jim, regarding the colors for the digital clock and calendar, I see 15 color selections including white and black. Are they the final choices or are you going to "tweak" them a bit? Some are very similar.

Just wondering.

ESHIREY 05-04-2010 06:26 PM

I'm glad you got it working.
I really like that we can change the color of the background. The light blue was ok but not for me. I love having the darker blue. That's how I have the background on 2 of my tanks here. Thanks Jim.

Jim Sachs 05-04-2010 07:32 PM

JohnWho - I'm still open to suggestions at this point.

JohnWho 05-04-2010 08:25 PM

Jim - I only mentioned it because some of the colors are very similar.

Sliders, like with the background would obviously provide the most flexibility. Multiple selections, also similar to the background would add the ability to have the colors change, too.

But, as Rick Nelson sang, "you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."

ESHIREY 05-04-2010 08:32 PM

You got that right.

Jim Sachs 05-04-2010 09:56 PM

I'm not going to spend time on anything fancy, but I could change individual colors if you have a suggestion. They may seem close on some monitors, but the RGB values of these colors are really quite far apart. When I was first adding the digital clock, I was experimenting with a blue-green color that closeley matched a digital clock I had. Everyone absolutely hated the color. So I added a but more blue, and suddenly stopped getting complaints. Yet these two colors are probably the closest together of any in the current selections.