Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Latest nVidia Drivers (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3060)

Jav400 05-08-2005 06:53 PM

Latest nVidia Drivers

I recently updated to the latest WHQL drivers from nVidia, 71.89. I seem to have developed the "speedy bubbles" effect again after the computer runs for awhile. Has anyone else noticed this?

2K Pro
5900XT
Latest Drivers
DX 9c

Jim Sachs 05-08-2005 10:30 PM

How long is a while?

Jav400 05-08-2005 10:50 PM

24-36 hours

vochore 05-09-2005 01:22 PM

try using the extreme 76.45 from guru3d.com,have been using them since they came out and have had no problems,they actualy have differant set ups for particular nvidia cards.

yes i know these are considered beta but they work great

jonazen 05-21-2005 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vochore
try using the extreme 76.45 from guru3d.com,have been using them since they came out and have had no problems,they actualy have differant set ups for particular nvidia cards.

yes i know these are considered beta but they work great

I've got an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 hooked up to two flat panel monitors (NEC LCD1765's) - normally a great setup, but it doesn't work properly with MA 2 or with MA 2 MD.

I've been a fan of the drivers on Guru3d for some time now. Per your suggestion, I tried downloading and installing the latest, which is actually 76.45b (a bug fix to the original). Unfortunately, I still have the same problem (btw: I went through the whole suggested routine - uninstalling and cleaning out debris from the old drivers, rebooting, installing the new drivers, rebooting, configuring). Specifically:

My monitors are each designed to operate at 1280 x 1024, so I have my spanned desktop set to operate at 2560 x 1024. As mentioned above, this works beautifully - until now with MA2 (and MA2 MD). Regardless of the settings I plug into MA2 regarding resolution (either default system resolution or explicitly setting 2560 x 1024 x 32), when I try previewing the screen saver, it always reverts back to 2048 x 768. Among other things, this causes problems because 1) it doesn't look as good onscreen as it should, and 2) my monitors have this annoying habit of displaying a configuration message warning me that (since they're LCD displays) the resolution should be set properly (to 1024 x 768 for each monitor).

Also: a BIG WARNING to anyone trying these drivers: I turned off my antivirus monitoring during the installation, as generally recommended for low level stuff like this - but turned it back on immediately afterward, and scanned the files installed by the Xtreme drivers - and this is what I saw:

"5/21/2005 17:56:50 PM - AMON - File system monitor Program Virus Alert triggered on ZENMASTER: C:\Program Files\XTreme-G Drivers\uninst.exe infected with Win32/Adware.LinkMaker application."

:mad:

Not something I like to see!

Anyway - I deleted the infected uninstall pgm, so that's not a worry.

But I WOULD like to figure out why MA2 (and MA2 MD) cannot properly display in 2560 x 1024 on my machine.

Any ideas?

BTW - I'm editing this to add some more info and save some questions:
- I initially installed MA2 from a CD I purchased today
- Then downloaded and installed MA2 MD from the website
- Then thought that perhaps MA2 MD and MA2 might somehow conflict, so I uninstalled MA2, and left MA2 MD on the machine.
- MA2 MD is version 2.01
- I've tried this in both 16-bit and 32-bit mode
- I've tried checking the Widescreen option - it makes NO difference, even if I play with various Anamorphic factors.

Also:
- Win/XP Pro SP2, all updates applied
- Phoenix Award BIOS v6.00PG
- This is a 1.9 ghz Athlon machine with 1 gb RAM and loads of HD space.
- The video card is an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 with 128 MB RAM, current drivers and current BIOS
- The card is opeating in AGP 8X mode
- I'm running DirectX version 9.0C (4.09.0000.0904)

Am I missing something ?

Thx,
Jon

Edgar 05-21-2005 05:07 PM

The MA2 or MA2MD version is not designed to run on a span display, however if you chose a resolution on the screensaver that is less than or equal to 2048, it will probably work.

Marian Nichols 05-21-2005 05:08 PM

I can't answer your question, but I would like to welcome you to the forum.
I’m sure either Jim or Morgan will have suggestions for you. I hope you get it worked out.

And thanks for the heads up on the virus installing while your anti virus program was disabled. That shows that they are always lurking in the shadows really to pounce at the first opportunity.

jonazen 05-21-2005 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgar
The MA2 or MA2MD version is not designed to run on a span display, however if you chose a resolution on the screensaver that is less than or equal to 2048, it will probably work.

Thx for the quick reply Edgar - but I'm a bit confused now. Isn't MD designed specifically to display one large tank across my two monitors? Or does it only do this in "dual view" mode (that's NVidia's term for it) as opposed to spanned? Wouldn't make a lot of sense, though, would it? Spanned is the only way I can get a single large desktop across both monitors...

- Jon

jonazen 05-21-2005 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marian Nichols
I can't answer your question, but I would like to welcome you to the forum.
I’m sure either Jim or Morgan will have suggestions for you. I hope you get it worked out.

And thanks for the heads up on the virus installing while your anti virus program was disabled. That shows that they are always lurking in the shadows really to pounce at the first opportunity.

Thx Marian. I'm hoping to get this working at full resolution across both monitors. Even in it's "compromised" mode, it really is great to look at. I've also found out how to turn of the warning msg from the NEC monitors, so that part of the problem is resolved.

Looking forward to more info.

Thx again,
Jon