Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Serial number not sticking? (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25951)

Willabong 03-17-2018 02:31 AM

Serial number not sticking?

I enter the Aquarium version 3+ serial code, select the fish I want to see (16 in all), then run the screensaver and all works correctly for several days (sometimes a couple of weeks.
Then afer a week or two of running normally, the program reverts to a demo, and I have to re-enter the serial number and re-select the fish? This happens regularly!
I am running Windows 10 home edition with an AMD Radion high definition graphics card and 32 gig of ram on dual 24 inch monitors with 3 hard drives, two internal (1 ter and 2 ter) and one external 2 ter.:(

Jim Sachs 03-17-2018 10:13 PM

When did you buy the Key Code? Send me a private message with your info, and I'll see what I can find out.

GLS432 10-17-2018 06:57 PM

There doesn't seem to be any resolution on this. I just wanted to add that I have the same problem. Every now and then, the program forgets that it's registered and returns to the defaults. I have to re-enter the registration code and recreate the fish selection. Running Windows 10 Home (1803).

Scandy 10-21-2018 01:04 PM

I had that problem too, My serial number would only last about a week, and I had to keep re-entering it. It has been a long time since I fixed the problem, but I think it was related to installing the screen saver with administrator privileges.

Uninstall the screen saver. Re-boot your computer (not sure if necessary, but why not). Right click on the MarineAquarium3.exe install file and select 'Run as administrator'. After installation enter your serial number (if it is not already registered).

Jim Sachs 10-21-2018 09:46 PM

Thanks for the info, Scandy.

GLS432 10-23-2018 05:37 PM

Scandy: Thanks for the reply. I've reinstalled as you suggested. Since the problem is sporadic and unpredictable, there's no way to tell whether the fix worked unless the serial number is lost again. I'll post back if it fails again, and if my increasingly porous memory allows, if it doesn't fail over a sufficiently long period.

Vinz Clortho 11-05-2018 11:06 AM

Uninstalling and reinstalling with administrator privileges has not worked for me.

Vish 12-14-2018 02:05 AM

I am also running into the same issue....the serial number is not sticking...I have to enter it everytime it kicks in!!

The only thing that is new for me is that I upgraded to Windows 10.
I installed my goldfish screensaver as well...that had the same issue...

On a side note, I noticed I have been owner of this screen saver for over 16 years now! :)

DH13127 12-16-2018 08:13 AM

Same problem

Hello, I bought it today, and I have the same problem, even if I install it in administrator mode... :(

Jim Sachs 12-21-2018 11:31 AM

Are you absolutely positive you entered the Key Code correctly? Did you enter it manually, or cut and paste it from the confirmation email?

s.winterstein 01-11-2019 07:03 AM

Same issue here: the keycode would not stick after I installed the new 3.3 version.

Keycode is correct (from my user account a Prolific Publishing) and pasted.

Jim Sachs 01-11-2019 11:03 PM

Make sure that an extra [space] didn't get picked up with the cut-and-paste.

This symptom (running normally a few times, then requiring the Key Code again) is what happens with a bad Key Code. The theory being that if someone uses a bootleg Key Generator, it will seem to work for a random number of tries, then start requiring a Key again.

The only other thing I can think of is that Microsoft might have changed something in the Registry format so that the Aquarium is looking in the wrong place. The last few updates to Win 10 have broken several of the programs on my older computer.

Tiki 01-12-2019 02:35 PM

Fix ... for me. (Windows 10)

Concerning the Re-entry of key issues. Today I purchased v3.3 for windows and installed it as admin with antivirus turned off and rebooted. I also had the same issues. Upon a quick look at the registry, it appears that the regcode is copied to 3 locations, but one of the locations is not updating the regcode. This is a design flaw in the program and not a Windows thing. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with all the updates - today is 1/12/2019.

Regedit keys go here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SereneScreen\MarineAqua rium3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\SereneScre en\MarineAquarium3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1*********-16********-********6-**00\Software\SereneScreen\MarineAquarium3

...but the regcode is not getting written to the HLM (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) section.

I copied it there from HCU and all is working fine now.

Hope this gets fixed on v3.4

Cheers!

-Galo :TU:

feldon34 01-13-2019 12:09 PM

The Aquarium is supposed to write to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SereneScren\MarineAqua rium3 key and then Windows automagically stores it in the WOW6432Node and reads from that when talking to 32-bit applications.

If the Aquarium is not using the correct C++ programming, this could explain the problem.

The folks who are having problems -- are you on 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 10?

Ralph 01-14-2019 07:44 AM

Interesting on my Widows 7 machine there is nothing at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SereneScren\MarineAqua rium3 (Typos noted) but instead find mine at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SereneScre en\MarineAquarium3 but the RegCode just shows 0000 00 . The data between the 00 and "." is hidden.:D

Vinz Clortho 01-18-2019 10:27 AM

I have entered the data into the relevant key and I will let you know if it gives me any further problems. It is working so far. Thanks Tiki.

StuDisney 01-19-2019 08:20 PM

Keycode

are any of you who are having this probum runing Cclener , maybe it is removing the key code

Jav400 01-21-2019 06:44 AM

I use C Cleaner all the time and it doesn't bother mine, so I would guess that would be a special case.

GLS432 02-20-2019 07:47 PM

Since the reinstall on 10/28, the serial number has stuck, even through the update from 1803 to 1809. This is a 64-bit Windows 10 installation.

Jim Sachs 02-22-2019 10:35 AM

Glad to hear it. :)

Ralph 02-24-2019 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Time for me to add to the frustrations of Windows 10. New laptop with Windows 10 Home installed 2018-12-08 with OS build 17763.316
So first "issue".. It came as a surprise that there is NO link to download the SS from this forum (that I could find). So ran to the Google and searched for Serene Screen.. Wow.. you get a lot of hits. picked one that seemed legit and downloaded the program.

Installed it as one would.. added my key code.. all seems well. Shut it off.. turned it back on.. and.. needed to add my code again. Several times, including logging off altogether.

Okay.. uninstall and install as an administrator. Now get an error message. Try again.. same error.. ignore and SS installs and appears to work.. but is still asks for my code every time I start it.

To be continued...

Jim Sachs 02-26-2019 09:39 AM

Win 10 has been nothing but a headache for me too. It took me literally months to get the latest update to install and run in any sort of stable fashion, and now it sometimes doesn't recognize that I have Administrator privileges.

The unrecognized Key Code problem is probably only going to get worse. I'm wondering if it isn't time to get rid of Keys entirely, and go with a Shareware business model, with a suggested donation of $10.

Ralph 02-26-2019 06:00 PM

I would vote to get rid of the keys.. or change it to phone home periodically. Shareware "might" work but there has to be a way for nagging messages to be turned off once a donation has been made.
But, I think the days of computer screen savers are kind of past.. :sad:

Jim Sachs 02-26-2019 11:47 PM

Well, turning off nagging messages once a donation has been made is...a Key Code. :)
You are right about screen savers being a thing of the past, though - sales have been near zero for several years. I've been paying $250 per month for a Facebook ad campaign for the past 6 months with no effect whatsoever.

Jav400 02-27-2019 06:38 AM

Most of the things that sell today are made for everyone's phones. The downside for Jim is that running his phone version takes battery time, and unfortunately that's the one thing most phones need more of and everyone is trying to conserve it, not just let it run so they can watch something nice.

IMHO Jim you would need to redo some aspects with more interaction by users to have a decent shot with that. ie. make it more "game like" in some respects to get more attention.

Jim Sachs 02-27-2019 08:09 AM

Yes, that would be the plan for the Unity version. A VR interactive tank that you could walk all the way around.

CJreef 03-17-2019 01:48 PM

Key code problem limited to eel

I too have to reenter my key code periodically. The difference is that the screen saver works except for the eel. When I reenter the key code the eel shows up again till I need to reenter the code again.

Ralph 03-19-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJreef (Post 158319)
I too have to reenter my key code periodically. The difference is that the screen saver works except for the eel. When I reenter the key code the eel shows up again till I need to reenter the code again.

My eel shows every time.. but I need to type in the key code each time I engage the SS. The code never sticks..

Oddly.. it is installed in two places C:\Windows\System32 and in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 There are also two references to the SS
MarineAquarium3.scr.26020.dmp (9.8 MB) and MarineAquarium3.scr.1584.dmp (1.1 MB) in C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\CrashDumps

And a reference to the icon for both users on this laptop. C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.Wi ndows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\AppIconCach e

Activating the SS by clicking on either MarineAquarium3.scr files make no difference to requiring using the key code.. nor changing the extension to an exe. All very strange.. but this is Windows 10 and lots of things are confusing to me and resolving the SS key issue is way down on my list of things to fix.

dtomega 04-24-2019 02:04 AM

had the same issue, just bought today. quick registry check and was aslo missing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SereneScre en\MarineAquarium3 registry entry. added manually and viola :)

Ralph 05-08-2019 09:12 PM

A post at https://feldoncentral.com/forums/sho...359#post158359
This worked fine for me:

You will find MarineAquarium3.scr here:
C:\Windows\System32\MarineAquarium3.scr

Make a copy of MarineAquarium3.scr to your desktop and rename it MarineAquarium3.exe.

Now right click on the MarineAquarium3.exe that copied earlier and select "Run as administrator"

Enter a valid keycode. Then you can delete the desktop exe and your short cuts will work without asking anymore reg entry

I thought I had tried this but not from a copy on the desktop.. Anyway worked for me.. so far.

otisjenn1@gmail.com 05-17-2019 10:28 PM

Me Too!!

Hi, I am having the same problem except mine wants me to re-enter my code every time the screen saver comes back on. The colors, clock, and calendar stay at the same settings I use but the fish are changed to the original fish. I have tried to make new sets of fish and the same thing happens then when I click on the set I chose it shows the original fish set and not my fish set. I paid 14.95 for this and it is really annoying.

Jim Sachs 06-03-2019 11:15 PM

Have you tried following Ralph's suggestions?

Ralph 06-04-2019 05:58 AM

Really strange that by installing (as administrator) from a desktop copy (renamed to MarineAquarium3.exe) should work.. where none of the other attempts I tried did. But that is Windows 10 for you.
Credit goes to Alex Themelis for this information.

F34R 07-16-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph (Post 158360)
A post at https://feldoncentral.com/forums/sho...359#post158359
This worked fine for me:

You will find MarineAquarium3.scr here:
C:\Windows\System32\MarineAquarium3.scr

Make a copy of MarineAquarium3.scr to your desktop and rename it MarineAquarium3.exe.

Now right click on the MarineAquarium3.exe that copied earlier and select "Run as administrator"

Enter a valid keycode. Then you can delete the desktop exe and your short cuts will work without asking anymore reg entry

I thought I had tried this but not from a copy on the desktop.. Anyway worked for me.. so far.

This worked for me. Win 10 64bit 1903.

Just wanted to again thank Jim for the absolute best screen saver I've ever owned. I've used this for so long, and it's the only one I do use.