Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Mac OS X (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   MA3 Pre-Release chitchat (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4399)

kenmeier 10-12-2009 10:20 AM

It's been almost two weeks now that Nova has had this availbe to purchase but still zero from serenescreen. It seems like they don't give a dam about their mac users and I'm about to give up on them all together and forever.

DrNemoJr 10-12-2009 11:26 AM

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that SereneScreen updates their site very often; the latest "news" was posted in February!

indigo222 10-12-2009 07:03 PM

New Features etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 112415)
The program changes rapidly because people keep asking for features, and I keep putting them in :)

Hi Jim-

Well, there's always the option of releasing the LONG awaiting 3.0 and add whatever features are important in 3.1, 3.2, and so on.

We've been waiting for a couple of years for the new Mac version that I hope will run on PPC and Intel Macs.

We hope that version 3.0 for the Mac will be out in time for the holidays (pick your holiday - Thanksgiving or Christmas?)

Duke 10-12-2009 07:17 PM

"We hope that version 3.0 for the Mac will be out in time for the holidays (pick your holiday - Thanksgiving or Christmas?)"

How about Columbus Day...:rolleyes:

JimO'Connor 10-12-2009 08:22 PM

Indigo222,
PPC -- yes, if you have a strong video card (My 1GHz 17" PowerBook G4 doesn't get shaders, but it squeaks by otherwise)
Intel Macs -- yes, early low-end machines won't get shaders
Holiday -- I know I'll rejoice when it shows up. :)

glenng6 10-12-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimO'Connor (Post 116161)
Marine Aquarium 3.0 for Mac doesn't do monitor spanning. That was something we had to prune to get done in time.

Hey Jim,

I got your email, but get a delivery failure when I reply. I would like to take you up on your offer. :D

Thanks, Glenn

JonathansCorner.com 10-13-2009 09:25 AM

Status?

What's the status? Do we have an ETA? -Jonathan

JimO'Connor 10-13-2009 06:09 PM

They're working on it. I'm not going to make projections, but this is getting cycles. Updating a running e-commerce site without breaking it is a pain.

JimO'Connor 10-13-2009 10:50 PM

It is tough to plan when there is such a long and variable dependency chain. I need Jim Sachs to get to a certain point before I can do anything (and I have to be free to do it), then after I'm done the right people at Prolific have to have time to do their thing.

A simple update to handle a compatibility fix isn't a big change to the site, so that can be done pretty quick. A new release involves a lot more steps.

BuckyBadger 10-14-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robrob (Post 115993)
In the meantime, I imagine, many of your old, established, and faithful customers will get disgusted and take the attitude of, "I'll miss it, but I really don't need a stinking aquarium from a company that doesn't really care about their established customer base."

Sad to say, that has certainly become my attitude! :TD:

Adios

No kidding. I'm just tired of hearing how hard everything is going to be and how people have to be available, etc. FYI, everybody works hard and needs to make time to do work!

Just do your work and charge us for an update already. Years have gone by.

feldon34 10-14-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimO'Connor (Post 116221)
It is tough to plan when there is such a long and variable dependency chain. I need Jim Sachs to get to a certain point before I can do anything (and I have to be free to do it), then after I'm done the right people at Prolific have to have time to do their thing.

Unless Prolific made a last-minute deal with Nova, then Prolific has known that there would need to be a MA3 SKU and MA3 UPGRADE SKU for about a month now. They do not need the final download to set that up. Once the product is in the database and the site is setup to handle orders, they can just plugin whatever DMG file you give them. I think really it could have been setup a while back as many folks would pay a pre-order.

JonathansCorner.com 10-15-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimO'Connor (Post 116219)
They're working on it. I'm not going to make projections, but this is getting cycles. Updating a running e-commerce site without breaking it is a pain.

Which is to say that your e-commerce site is a real liability and has cost you some offended customers; you are fortunate that people like your product enough to tolerate such difficulties, and in many cases honor your pleas to not buy your product from Nova.

Have you looked at other solutions? Speaking as a web developer who works in e-commerce, your website is offering you quite dubious service if you run it at this cost, and ecommerce solutions need not be so bad.

This isn't costing you so much money as reputation among customers, and that really costs worse.

-Jonathan

JimO'Connor 10-15-2009 02:41 PM

Hi Jonathan,

It is the publisher's job to publish. It is my job to write the Mac code. I work for them.

JimO'Connor 10-15-2009 02:45 PM

The main advantage for the customer of buying from SereneScreen is a 50% savings. So my plea is to their advantage, assuming that they value the money more than the time (not always a valid assumption). It is to my advantage, too. No doubt about that.

Wizwad 10-16-2009 05:38 AM

That's true - as long as there's a product available to make a 50% saving on. If there isn't then your point becomes moot.

Sorry Jim, not having a go at you. It's just that someone somewhere needs a kick in the ass.

Duke 10-16-2009 06:59 AM

How much longer?

The delay in adding the Mac 3.0 version to the website is starting to border on the ridiculous....

peace 10-18-2009 09:13 AM

Tip for everyone that is frustrated: I have a previous version of MA, but instead of waiting for it to appear on the serene screen website and use the upgrade option I decided to buy from the Nova development site using a 30% off coupon that I found online (NOVAREG30). That way the price is only $3 or so more than the upgrade price and you can get it NOW! Love the screensaver...

Duke 10-18-2009 10:04 AM

Great suggestion. Thanks for passing along the code.

Duke

JimO'Connor 10-18-2009 12:04 PM

Thanks, Peace, for telling us about a good alternative for waiting!

Ralph 10-18-2009 10:02 PM

Meanwhile, the dithering continues... Makes me wish I had a Mac so I could play.