Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sea Turtle is on the list... (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=992)

drfish 07-29-2002 10:05 AM

Sea Turtle is on the list...

Quote:

From Friday's chat log:
[Jim Sachs] There's a company in Bora Bora that has promised to buy a large number of units if I'll add a sea turtle.
[grape_jellyfish] wow, a sea turtle would be cool
[EddieWan] there has been people asking for a turtle before, so there is interest.
[Jim Sachs] Yes, it's on the list.
Just in case you didn't read it. :)

Socrates 07-29-2002 11:50 AM

This is fantastic news. :)

feldon34 07-29-2002 11:50 AM

Quick. Someone find me a picture! :)

Socrates 07-29-2002 01:00 PM

http://www.turtle.ky/

I've been to this place.

And yes, Turtle Soup IS on the menu at the cafeteria.

IXNAY 07-30-2002 01:38 PM

Hey jim can't you make the turtle quick to release an update for the saltwater aquarium and then continue on the freshwater one?
I just want to see something new :/
would make me sooo happy :D

drfish 07-30-2002 02:22 PM

I imagine the turtle would be quite a bit harder to do than the lionfish, it can't just glide through the water it has to fly though it. The movement of the flippers would have to match its speed for it to look realistic enough to fit in with the rest of the aquarium. It would also need a completely different algorthim to define its movement, again, it can't swim like a fish. I'll be very happy to see it in a creature pack though, I have a wonderful image of it flying around in the tank now, a little baby one seems like it would fit right in. :)

IXNAY 07-31-2002 08:40 AM

Yeah, you're right, has to be really difficult, but Jim can do that job, I know :D

Jim Sachs 07-31-2002 10:23 AM

I don't see any real problem with doing a turtle, I'll just need to do some more research on sizes etc.

On a related topic, I studied jellyfish extensively yesterday at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and they probably won't be quite as difficult as I thought.

just some guy 07-31-2002 11:47 AM

sheech...

a JELLYFISH?

puuhlezzze...
The only thing a jellyfish is good for is feeding the sea turtle -
HEY! There's an idea for ya!
(lol)

I've watched the big boys (loggerheads as big as the bed of a pickup truck) come in close to the end of the pier for years gobble up those jellyballs just as fast as they can. Anyone have an idea as to how old one of those guys would be when they are that big? It has something to do with the shell pattern, right?

There is no contest - the turtle is by FAR a better endeavour if you are going to be working on a creature package that is going to be released before the freshwater tank. I love the idea of a baby turtle zipping around. I've lived in MB for 10 years and in all that time, I've only witnessed them hustling their little butts toward the ocean right after hatching one time. I was totally amazed at how quickly they scooted down the beach toward the ocean... Neato.

Jim, I know EVERYONE is asking this, and I don't really expect a definitive answer, but when IS the new creature package going to be released? Can we just get a ballpark idea? 30 days? 90 days? Throw us a bone.

(offtopic)
I found another really cool program that may or may not have been mentioned here before called DREAMRENDER.
It's similar to DESKTOP DREAMSCAPES, but you can change "dreams" and options within the program - a REALLY slick interface.

Tim (JSG)

EVERRET 07-31-2002 06:24 PM

MONTEREY

Hi , Jim glad to see you made it to the aquarium in monterey, if that place doesn't motivate you to work on your aquarium nothing will. That's where I got so exited about the Leopard shark, was there any particular fish there that interested you besides the jellyfish? I can hardly wait to see what you come up with now. :TU:

BlueWinterWaves 07-31-2002 07:46 PM

I disagree with "just some guy" about the jellyfish. I think it would really be an interesting addition to have a jellyfish, even if it is incongruous with a real-life reef tank. (And as far as that goes, a sea turtle would really be incongruous. )

I'm hoping for a comb jelly (which is not actually a true jellyfish) or a similar jelly that puts on a dazzling light show with its bioluminescence. If you've ever seen these things "in person," they are amazing, mesmerizing even. They would look really cool when the lights in the aquarium go dim.

Although, I imagine they'd be a lot harder to do than a moon jelly or some other regular jellyfish. You'd probably have to implement vertex or pixel shaders or something to that effect to get the "light show" to look right.

Jav400 07-31-2002 09:03 PM

Well, some of the other creatures planned, and already in the aquarium are not exactly "tankmates" in real life. The planned Eel would eat the planned Octopus outright. So I don't see any real discrepancies with including a jellyfish or a turtle either one. Basically I would enjoy watching both.:)

handimannbob 07-31-2002 09:47 PM

sea turtle on wishlist

1 Attachment(s)
hi,
is this a baby sea turtle ? nice turtle

patscarr 07-31-2002 11:57 PM

Don't forget, Jim has said that the first creature pack will probably include several different species, so a turtle, jelly fish, octopus, leopard shark, and eel may all be included together.

Tiny Turtle 08-01-2002 02:52 AM

Bob, I like that picture too (not to mention the actual animal – what a beauty!). If I remember my little friends correctly, it's a Green Turtle (Chelonia mydas)a few months old or so. A "Green" would be my personal recommendation for the tank as it's the archetypical (sp?) sea turtle. A baby turtle is the only one that would fit the tank as a mature Green weighs in at around 300 lbs...

Tiny

IXNAY 08-01-2002 11:40 AM

Hey handimannbob, that picture is great. I would like to see such a turtel not a green one, sorry tiny...

Jim, will you do the freshwater tank first or a creature pack or just a new version including the turtle, just end this speculations here :D

nreimer 08-01-2002 02:22 PM

The green turtle, or honu as we call it in Hawaii, is named "green" because it has green fat. They are actually quite brown on the outside. Now I've never cut one open and would never even consider it but this is what I've been told by the researchers here that work with turtles.

feldon34 08-01-2002 03:50 PM

Quote:

Jim, will you do the freshwater tank first or a creature pack or just a new version including the turtle, just end this speculations here
I don't think anything has changed.

Freshwater Aquarium this fall.

3D Background for the Marine Aquarium later on.

Creature Pack well into 2003.

All vague date estimates subject to change. :)

Socrates 08-02-2002 12:22 AM

Re: sea turtle on wishlist

Quote:

Originally posted by handimannbob
hi,
is this a baby sea turtle ? nice turtle

Te problem I think is that one is a little older. The baby ones are practically black:

http://www.turtle.ky/images/gallery/hand.jpg

I wonder which one is closest to the scale in the tank.

Digital Lungfish 08-02-2002 12:30 AM

Quote:

I wonder which one is closest to the scale in the tank.
I would imagine somewhere in between the two. What do you think Jim? I think the colors on the larger/older one are far more appealing than the tiny baby. Besides, the baby looks too young.