Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   MA3 and LCD burn-in (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4520)

Splashy 10-21-2008 04:02 AM

MA3 and LCD burn-in

I'm running MA3 beta on my new LG 26" LCD TV.
In MA2.6 there were features that helped against burn-in.
In MA3, the aquarium moves slowly from side to side which I think helps, but the blue remains the same color.
Should I be worried about burn-in if I'm running MA3 on my LCD TV during the day?
TIA,
Splashy.

Jav400 10-21-2008 04:28 AM

Generally speaking because of their technology and the way they work, LCD's do not suffer from "burn in" in the way you mean it. They call it "image persistance" in LCD's and it is extremely rare and difficult to have happen. If it does you are told to either leave your monitor/tv off for a couple of days and this will reset the image crystals, or to display a bright white image on for a day or so and this is supposed to reset the crystals. Either way I wouldn't worry to much about it happening.

Splashy 10-21-2008 06:09 AM

Great, then I can run MA3 with no worry :)
Thanks for explaining!

Jim Sachs 10-21-2008 10:47 AM

One of the items to be added is an "automatic lights" feature, similar to the old program. Michael is right, LCDs aren't prone to burn-in. Even on other types of monitor, it's sharply-defined static images that cause a noticeable "ghost", not smooth washes like the background colors.

Splashy 10-21-2008 11:52 AM

Thanks for the reply, Jim!
I was wondering, I also have a plasma TV in the living room and I thought about hooking it up to my laptop and running MA3, but I read online that plasma is prone to burn-in.
If that's the case, I'll settle for running it on my LCD, but it would be cool to have a virtual aquarium in my living room :)

Jav400 10-21-2008 12:15 PM

Plasma is indeed prone to burn in and must be taken care of in that regard. That's one of the reasons why I prefer LCD's to plasma sets.

Shinsa 10-21-2008 06:56 PM

Not a good idea to run it on a plasma screen. It only takes a relatively short time to burn an image into a plasma display. I have heard from friends first hand, that ruined their brand new plasma TV by playing PS games on it. Burn in took less than an hour, and was permanent. I think it was GTA3, and the little health and weapom icons could still be seen.

Socrates 10-21-2008 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinsa (Post 106596)
Not a good idea to run it on a plasma screen. It only takes a relatively short time to burn an image into a plasma display. I have heard from friends first hand, that ruined their brand new plasma TV by playing PS games on it. Burn in took less than an hour, and was permanent. I think it was GTA3, and the little health and weapom icons could still be seen.

Better not watch any 24 hours cable news channels then. Or any cable channel with a logo in the bottom right.

Jim Sachs 10-21-2008 07:20 PM

Do any channels NOT have a logo on the screen any more? It's my understanding that Plasma burn-in can often be cured by displaying a pure white screen for an hour or so.

Tiny Turtle 10-21-2008 08:06 PM

TTBOMK plasmas are more susceptible to burn-in when brand new and even then it can be "washed" by leaving the TV on with no input letting it "snow" so to speak.

Have a look here.