Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Simple additions (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5262)

cjmaddy 03-14-2010 04:09 PM

No.

You just have to look at what happens to this if you spell colour correctly....

[colour=yellow]You just have to look at what happens to this if you spell colour correctly[/colour]....

:)

Nicki 03-14-2010 04:51 PM

What really grated my cheese was having my spelling in high school criticized by my English teacher because I didn't use American spelling. I knew what country I was in, apparantly she didn't.

Actually I'm fine with Jim using American spelling since he's an American writing software in America. I just like being a troublemaker. :D

Wizwad 03-14-2010 05:16 PM

Nicki - I agree (and me too!) :D When I was in Frankfurt for a school exchange, the German English teacher (she was German, the subject was English) refused to accept that 'smart' means anything other than 'intelligent'. Any attempts on my part to explain that in England 'smart' means 'well dressed' rather than 'bright' met with scathing contempt.

Of course, since then we've become homogonised through US TV shows to such a degree that these days I wonder if the kids realise that 'smart' can be used in other ways than to denote IQ or cunning.

And to get back to the subject at hand - nice job on the Colour interface, Jim! :TU: :TU:

(Cliff, I think the others were teasing you over the excessive use of capitals rather than missing letters - check the title bar of the original screen shot!) :)

cjmaddy 03-14-2010 05:47 PM

I'm not blind. - :p - I was teasing about spelling! :).... Capitals? - some don't even know that those exist! :D

patscarr 03-14-2010 07:48 PM

I like Rick's suggestions.

Ralph 03-14-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjmaddy (Post 119606)
Ralph and Nicki,

By now, I've become reluctantly conditioned to accepting that there are two ways that we are forced to spell 'colour'.....(a) The correct way! - and (b) The way that's necessary, if we wish a computer program to work!....... And yes, that also, should be, "programme"!... ;);)

In Canada we speak the queens English as well.. my "picky" point was that Jim was not fast enough with the shift key when he typed COlors:D

Wizwad 03-15-2010 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjmaddy (Post 119611)
I'm not blind. - :p - I was teasing about spelling! :).... Capitals? - some don't even know that those exist! :D

Well, as an aging person myself, I know that you vintage people can sometimes overlook these things. I just wanted to make sure!

:p

[runs value="fast"/]

Jav400 03-15-2010 06:42 AM

ROFL

MadBob 03-15-2010 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizwad (Post 119610)
Nicki - I agree (and me too!) :D When I was in Frankfurt for a school exchange, the German English teacher (she was German, the subject was English) refused to accept that 'smart' means anything other than 'intelligent'. Any attempts on my part to explain that in England 'smart' means 'well dressed' rather than 'bright' met with scathing contempt.

Of course, since then we've become homogonised through US TV shows to such a degree that these days I wonder if the kids realise that 'smart' can be used in other ways than to denote IQ or cunning.

And to get back to the subject at hand - nice job on the Colour interface, Jim! :TU: :TU:

(Cliff, I think the others were teasing you over the excessive use of capitals rather than missing letters - check the title bar of the original screen shot!) :)

I bet that smarts

jleslie 03-15-2010 12:54 PM

Back on the subject of the coleur picker (um, that isn't any better) can I say making colours by choosing RGB values is hard and perhaps there needs to be some choice of starting point? Anyone want to say what RGB of 35,107,142 makes? (Steel Blue, anyone want to try Khaki without using Google?)
Also, how about some internationalisation? (That's internationalization for those in the U.S.)
John

feldon34 03-15-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleslie (Post 119632)
can I say making colours by choosing RGB values is hard

You can.
Quote:

perhaps there needs to be some choice of starting point?

Please see the mockup.
Quote:

Anyone want to say what RGB of 35,107,142 makes? (Steel Blue, anyone want to try Khaki without using Google?)

Use the sliders and you instantly see the resulting color.

Quote:

Also, how about some internationalisation? (That's internationalization for those in the U.S.)

Internationalisation for 1 character (the u in colour)?

Jim Sachs 03-15-2010 02:35 PM

The rgb sliders are the easiest way I can think of to choose a color. You are directly setting the very numbers that DirectX will be using. As Morgan says, you'll see the color in the rectangle change as you move the sliders. I've always found all those other interfaces for picking colors to be confusing. They obfiscate what is really happening.

As far as internationalization, it's the very reason why MA3 updates must be so few and far between. When I turn in a release candidate, an army of translatiors and programmers go to work making versions in German, French, Korean, Japanese, etc.

JohnWho 03-15-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 119634)
The rgb sliders are the easiest way I can think of to choose a color. You are directly setting the very numbers that DirectX will be using. As Morgan says, you'll see the color in the rectangle change as you move the sliders ...

Yep, I think it works well, too (or will once it's completed and released).

I especially like that we'll be able to give the aquarium background realistic, natural colors like shades of red, orange, and yellow.

:)

Dale 03-15-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 119634)
As far as internationalization, it's the very reason why MA3 updates must be so few and far between. When I turn in a release candidate, an army of translatiors and programmers go to work making versions in German, French, Korean, Japanese, etc.

I18N translation is usually only necessary for documentation, and for features that change the wording on settings panels.

Translation would not normally be required for things like bug fixes, and "look and feel" improvements. So, in those cases, I don't see why "few and far between" would apply.

Terry Kennedy 03-16-2010 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 119556)
I view this as a MA3 support issue. Folks in this forum tracked it down to the extent that we could (actually farther than might be expected). So, unless I have a personal need to solve it, it's up to Jim/Prolific.

Since I was able to play MP3 sounds successfully from within the MA3 "Music Playlist" box, even on the systems that were/are having the problem, why not change the bubbles to be in MP3 format? The software already knows how to play MP3's. For extra points, the CanonGuitar could also be changed, but I expect more people would benefit from the bubble change.

feldon34 03-16-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 119639)
Translation would not normally be required for things like bug fixes, and "look and feel" improvements. So, in those cases, I don't see why "few and far between" would apply.

Why does Jim even bother posting anymore, if you are going to "correct" him on facts about his own product in every thread?

Jim Sachs 03-16-2010 02:01 AM

MP3s are hundreds of times bigger than MIDI files. I've always tried to keep the Marine Aquarium compact and efficient. It's a small download which treads lightly on bandwidth, and I plan to keep it that way.

feldon34 03-16-2010 02:48 AM

Jim,

If you would like to provide an optional downloadable content as an mp3 or mp3s here on the forums, please let me know. We have 1,500GB of available monthly bandwidth and we use less than 10%.

Terry Kennedy 03-16-2010 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 119646)
MP3s are hundreds of times bigger than MIDI files. I've always tried to keep the Marine Aquarium compact and efficient. It's a small download which treads lightly on bandwidth, and I plan to keep it that way.

True. But you did say "The bubble sound is a simple looping wave (.wav) file.". That's why I said that the bubbles were the primary issue.

Of course, it would be better if the underlying problem was addressed, but it doesn't sound like that's likely to happen.

Jim Sachs 03-16-2010 09:10 AM

On the contrary, I think it's very likely to happen. Some day, someone will be messing around with their drivers or tweaking their Windows settings, and the MIDI files will just start playing. The hard part is getting them to come back here to the Forum and report what they did.

MP3 is an extremely complex proprietary system, and I'm positive that switching to it would break far more systems than it would fix.