Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Marine Aquarium Time LOGO Support (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3438)

feldon34 02-23-2006 01:34 PM

Marine Aquarium Time LOGO Support

Since the Time/Logo/Crystal feature is now going to be built into the main Aquarium product, can we PLEASE see this feature cleaned up?

I know that Prolific added the ability to import monochrome BMP files of just about any size and the Aquarium resizes the logo and lets the user place the logo on the crystal. But there are many many problems:
  • Poor to average logo quality
  • Most users don't understand that monochrome and black and white refer to a 2-color BMP. Most people equate this with an RGB file with no color or a greyscale image. I get more e-mails about people trying to use the Import Logo button than any other issue with the Aquarium.
  • Unable to remove/uninstall the logo (must find and delete a file named MA_Ext.p1p -- couldn't this at LEAST be named logo.bmp?)
Marine Aquarium Time supports the excellent PNG-24 file format and I have published logos in this format. However users have trouble using them because they first try (and often fail) to get the results they want with a BMP and then the Aquarium is stuck displaying the BMP and won't display the superior PNG logos they subsequently try to use.

At the very least I would like to see a Remove Logo button. 3 levels of difficulty here:
1) Delete the BMP logo if one exists or send a shell request to open the Program Files\Marine Aquarium Time\ folder so users can manage their logos.
2) Display the filename of the last displayed logo (BMP or multi-PNG) and prompt to delete the file.
3) Create a logo picker.

I think choice 2 is a good compromise in programming difficulty.

I would like the functionality of the Import Logo button extended to include PNG files. It would simply check the dimensions of the image to make sure it is a valid PNG and then copy them to the appropriate dir. And it would automatically delete the built-in BMP logo.

feldon34 02-24-2006 02:53 PM

Came up again today. I created some logos for someone and it takes 2-3 e-mails for me to explain to them that the [Import Logo] button doesn't work for the purpose of loading PNG logos. I appreciate the effort that Prolific put into supporting BMP logos, but PNG is really where it's at quality-wise.

Tiny Turtle 02-24-2006 02:57 PM

I hear you. People really have problems discerning between 1-bit/2-color black & white and greyscale.

Dale 02-24-2006 11:19 PM

It would be logical...

You mean it isn't completely explained in the documentation, and in the online help?

feldon34 02-25-2006 03:10 PM

What documentation? What online help?

hayc59 03-01-2006 12:07 AM

How do you remove the Prolific logo??
Is it possible?
thanks

feldon34 03-01-2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayc59
How do you remove the Prolific logo??
Is it possible?
thanks

Add your own logo.

Edgar 03-01-2006 09:34 AM

F12 toggles the showing of all logos if registered.

hayc59 03-02-2006 01:11 AM

Thank you

Scott 04-01-2006 03:11 PM

I have read the tutorial and am trying things. When the time clock first came out, I'm positive I was able to put in a colour image, but I don't remember how I did it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Scott

Scott 04-01-2006 03:13 PM

Forget above post, I just realized it had to do with desaturating the image.

Thanks.

scott

louismo 04-03-2006 11:44 AM

Finally works

[IMG]h:\DOWNLOAD\LaraLegend.jpg[/IMG]

Divo 04-03-2006 03:47 PM

can anyone inform me of where the file, MA_Ext.p1p is located. Or if anyone has figured out hoe to remove the prolific logo and replace it with their furnished custom logo???????????????????????????????????????
thanks Divo

feldon34 04-09-2006 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louismo

A link to a file on your hard drive won't work for the rest of us.

Either use the Attachment system (click Go Advanced and scroll down to 'Manage Attachments') or put the file up on your website and link to it from there.

feldon34 04-09-2006 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Divo
can anyone inform me of where the file, MA_Ext.p1p is located. Or if anyone has figured out hoe to remove the prolific logo and replace it with their furnished custom logo???????????????????????????????????????
thanks Divo

MA_Ext.p1p only exists IF you have successfully gotten a black-and-white BMP logo to work using the Import Logo button.

The Prolific logo will remain until you successfully add a logo to Marine Aquarium in one of these 2 methods:

1. Click Import Logo in the Aquarium and feed it a black-and-white (not greyscale, not color, not half-toned, but a 2 COLOR: black & white image) BMP file. The results are fair at best.

2. Create a 256 x 256 24-bit (not Indexed) with 8-bit transparency (32-bit) color, greyscale, etc. PNG file and place it in
C:\Program Files\SereneScreen\Marine Aquarium ******.

The ****** is whichever version of the Aquarium that supports logos (Time, MA 2.6, etc.).

louismo 04-09-2006 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by louismo

Sorry for that.
It was because my previous profile can't post attachment.

The Lara Legend Logo file can be downloaded at:
http://wttfcweb02.netvigator.com/fil...oan%2FLogo.dat

After downloading, replace the file at
c:\Program Files\Marine Aquarium 2.6\Logo.dat

Hope anyone likes Lara as I do.
BTW, It's really hard to make a logo in 2.6.

feldon34 04-09-2006 09:31 PM

So you gave up on doing a PNG?

msaudinaitis 05-08-2006 02:04 PM

Hi,

New member here. I'm trying to create a custom logo for MA2.6 but continually get the error message stating that the logo must be in a black and white .BMP file. I have successfully created logos in MA2 using the instructions where the logo is saved as a .PNG file and uploaded them into the application, but MA2.6 won't let me do that. I'm using PS6 and would appreciate a workaround to accomplish this. Thanks.

feldon34 05-12-2006 12:23 PM

What I don't understand is why this question comes up so often.

The Import Logo button DOES NOT WORK.

Somewhere I must be failing to make this point. What instructions did you use?

feldon34 05-12-2006 01:04 PM

I'm significantly revising the Logo Download page as well as the Logo Creation Guide. But something tells me I will always receive these e-mails. That "Import Logo" button is so tempting.