Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Help with MA new "readme" file... (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5357)

JohnWho 06-05-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 122318)
JohnWho, while searching for other people who had reported about the multi-monitor things, I found the following which isn't in the readme, and perhaps should be (edited, of course). I had forgotten this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs
Just to be clear - the freezing of the animation when the left mouse button is held down (when in Window mode) is not a bug or a test. Holding down the left button took the place of the titlebar when it's turned off, so that the window can be dragged by clicking anywhere within it. The action is frozen to avoid frame-buffer ugliness while the window is being dragged.

Only applies in windowed mode, with the title bar off.

Got it.

In Windowed Mode, you can left click on the title bar and move the Window around.

Thanks. It's being added even as we "speak".

:TU:

Dale 06-05-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWho (Post 122330)
In Windowed Mode, you can left click on the title bar and move the Window around.
:TU:

That's kinda "Windows standard". The kicker is that MA3 has an option to not have the title bar on the window. So, now what? Left-click in the window, of course.

That's undoubtedly what you meant to type.

JohnWho 06-05-2010 03:35 PM

Yeah, that's what you should have understood that you thought I said!

Ralph 06-05-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 122318)
Ralph, do you see the same windowed-mode frame-rate syndrome that Cliff sees?

Yes, the instant a single line of pixels shows on the second monitor the fps drop to ~16 ish. The "frame" around the windowed MA3 can be in the second monitor without affecting the frame rate.

Ralph 06-05-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 122317)
C:\Program Files\SereneScreen\Marine Aquarium 3\readme.txt

And obviously, if you can't find it, then the "visibility" needs to be improved. :)

Thanks, JohnWho!

I guess that because I have not run an installer version for some time I do not have a read me file. I have no entry under Program Files for MA3. But.. just a comment if this is in fact where the read me lives..:erm: Is this folder not hidden for most users? Not the first place one would look..

Just a suggestion... but I would make the read me (lets call it a user manual) into a html web page and either embed it into the program or as a separate file but in either case a button on the Marine Aquarium settings page to display it. Perhaps next to the "Visit Website" or the trial equivalent.

Dale 06-05-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph (Post 122334)
I guess that because I have not run an installer version for some time I do not have a read me file. I have no entry under Program Files for MA3. But.. just a comment if this is in fact where the read me lives..:erm: Is this folder not hidden for most users? Not the first place one would look..

I'm guessing that you UNinstalled MA3 at some point. The Uninstaller deletes the C:\Program Files\SereneScreen\Marine Aquarium 3\ folder (3 or 4 files), and also deletes MarineAquarium3.scr from the \Windows\System32\ folder - and that's about all that it does.

The 10d Installer asks (the normal install dialog) where to "install" MA3, and by default puts the readme.txt, the 2 Uninstaller files, and one or two other non-essential things there. Of course, you can tell the installer to "install the program" wherever you please.

Dale 06-11-2010 08:10 PM

JohnWho, is there a section in the guide to describe what CTRL-R does?

JohnWho 06-11-2010 08:17 PM

Yes.

So far I've got:

MouseExit = FALSE;
AlwaysTop = FALSE;
TitleBar = TRUE;
ShowCrystal = TRUE;
Autopan = TRUE;
PanSpeed = 0.3;
CurrentBGSet = 0;
TopColor = default color;
BottomColor = default color;
BubbleSound =FALSE;
Music =TRUE;
Volume =1500;
MusicVolume =1500;
CurrentFishSet = 0;
NumFishSets = 1;
CycleFishSets = FALSE;
Drawbubbles = TRUE;
EyePt = 3.6, 1.01, -20.0;
CurrentLogo =0;
FrameRate = 60
LimitFrameRate = FALSE

Dale 06-11-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWho (Post 122531)
CurrentFishSet = 0;
NumFishSets = 1;
CycleFishSets = FALSE;

CurrentFishSet=0 means "Whatever fish set is the first in your list of fish sets"
I have no idea what NumFishSets does. Jim?
Comments: (1) I don't understand why CycleFishSets should be set to False; (2) Ctrk-R is "Reset all to default settings", and just changing CurrentFishSet and NumFishSets really isn't setting the fish to "default". If it doesn't change the actuall fish selections/settings, then I suggest not messing with it at all.

Quote:

FrameRate = 60
LimitFrameRate = FALSE

That's incorrect for 11k. Neither of those are changed by CTRL-R.

AKcrab 06-12-2010 01:41 AM

Quote:

Yes.

So far I've got:

MouseExit = FALSE;
AlwaysTop = FALSE;
TitleBar = TRUE;
ShowCrystal = TRUE;
Autopan = TRUE;
PanSpeed = 0.3;
CurrentBGSet = 0;
BubbleSound =FALSE;
Music =TRUE;
Volume =1500;
MusicVolume =1500;
CurrentFishSet = 0;
NumFishSets = 1;
CycleFishSets = FALSE;
Drawbubbles = TRUE;
CurrentLogo =0;
FrameRate = 60
LimitFrameRate = FALSE

LOL! That's the explanation in the "readme"? Isn't the readme supposed to be for my grandma?

Jim Sachs 06-12-2010 05:53 AM

Yes, it should probably be something like, "CTRL-R resets most of the options to their default state."

JohnWho 06-12-2010 06:29 AM

@ AKcrab -

Either you or your grandma are welcome to develop and submit what you feel is appropriate as a "readme". Then I'll sit back and pick it apart and "LOL" at you.

All I provided was the list which I believe is complete regarding what is "reset".

@Jim -

FWIW, this is the entire "CTRL-R" section which follows the descriptions of the Hotkeys where CTRL-R is described "CTRL-R - Restore default settings":

• TECH NOTE - Be careful. "CTRL-R" Restores Marine Aquarium to essentially the same as it was the first time you installed it. You will not lose your saved Fish "tanks", Background Color Sets, Music Playlist, or clock/Logo Playlist. The following values are reset to their default settings:

MouseExit = FALSE;
AlwaysTop = FALSE;
TitleBar = TRUE;
ShowCrystal = TRUE;
Autopan = TRUE;
PanSpeed = 0.3;
CurrentBGSet = 0;
BubbleSound =FALSE;
Music =TRUE;
Volume =1500;
MusicVolume =1500;
CurrentFishSet = 0;
NumFishSets = 1;
CycleFishSets = FALSE;
Drawbubbles = TRUE;
CurrentLogo =0;
FrameRate = 60
LimitFrameRate = FALSE

I believe by mentioning this as a "TECH" note, those people with technically inclined grandmas will appreciate the additional information.

It is not my intention to submit the entire Readme file on this board for evaluation. If that is what Jim chooses to do, that's up to him.

Dale 06-12-2010 08:30 AM

Fair enough - I wasn't intending to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm rather sure you can't fix the documentation for every unannounced (and perhaps unintentional) change in behavior.

FrameRate = 60
LimitFrameRate = FALSE

Both of those are incorrect for the current version (11k). That's all I can say about them.

Other items may also be incorrect (or may deliberately change based on comments, or inadvertantly due to code changes).

Jim Sachs 06-16-2010 01:31 PM

John has turned in the readme file, so I'll be going through it and making wahtever minor changes are necessary. It's good to have such a complete document to start with.

JohnWho 06-16-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 122555)
Fair enough - I wasn't intending to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm rather sure you can't fix the documentation for every unannounced (and perhaps unintentional) change in behavior.

FrameRate = 60
LimitFrameRate = FALSE

Both of those are incorrect for the current version (11k). That's all I can say about them.

Other items may also be incorrect (or may deliberately change based on comments, or inadvertantly due to code changes).

Correct.

That was accurate when I posted it, but since then it changed.

Those are some of the things that Jim will need to check.

FWIW - I was changing something in the Readme almost every day during the last week or so.

JohnWho 06-16-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 122983)
John has turned in the readme file, so I'll be going through it and making wahtever minor changes are necessary. It's good to have such a complete document to start with.

Ah ha!

Now we can't say nobody ever reads the Readme!

:lol:

As an aside, I know this isn't a pleasant read for Jim. First, there are absolutely no pictures. The character development is very weak, and the narrative is somewhat tedious with often boring repetition. Also, he pretty much knows the plot and the ending won't come as a surprise at all.

On the other hand, it does imply it is from Prolific, so he can always say "wasn't me" and blame them.

Wizwad 06-17-2010 02:45 AM

Do you think there'll be a sequel? Maybe introduce some new characters, a plot twist, that sort of thing?

JohnWho 06-17-2010 06:09 AM

Yes, definitely!

Working titles: "Three Two" and "Four Oh"

:)

Jim Sachs 06-17-2010 10:08 AM

The Readme file, with some editing, has been sent to Prolific. My thanks to John for taking on this tedious task.

JohnWho 06-17-2010 11:53 AM

You are most welcome. Jim.

I'm glad to hear what I provided made it a little easier for you overall.

Now, when can we expect MA 4.0?

Just kidding.

:)