Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   [Fixed:Beta 6] Sound starts loud, goes down without changing volume (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4394)

Racer-X 10-10-2008 07:00 PM

Sound starts loud, goes down without changing volume

My system:
Dell XPS410
Vista
4 GB ram
GeForce 8600GT
Sound card: none. It's just whatever integrated stuff Dell gave me.

I preview the screensaver, and the volume starts pretty high. I press spacebar to bring up the options, click program settings, then just click on (not change) the volume slider, and the volume drops dramatically. The slider is set at about 50%, but when I start the screensaver, the volume equals that of about 100%.

Glenn

Jim Sachs 10-10-2008 07:02 PM

Darn, I thought I fixed that. Back to the drawing board.

Are you talking about the bubble sound or the music?

F34R 10-10-2008 07:26 PM

I'm using a gateway FX6860 laptop with IDT HD Audio and don't experience the OP's problem at all; not with the music, or bubbles.

Surferminn 10-10-2008 10:37 PM

Same thing happened to me. I turned on the bubbles and it was loud so I went to the controls and lowered it even tho it was already in the middle. Then when I turned the beta on again, it was realllly loud again and when I clicked on the volume to lower it, it lowered itself before I could move the slider to lower it. But that happened only once as described above. I've turned it on a few more times and it didn't go loud anymore... so far.

Computer: Dell Dimension 4600, ATI Radeon 9600, 1.5GB ram, Pentium 4, 2.4ghz, Windows XP Home

Jim Sachs 10-10-2008 10:39 PM

These intermittant problems are the most difficult, because you never know if you've actually fixed it or if it just isn't causing trouble at the moment.

Racer-X 10-10-2008 11:05 PM

It's not intermittent with me. It happens every time.

Glenn

troyb 10-11-2008 09:26 AM

I have a creative sound blaster X-fi sound card and there is no problem with the sound it stays the same if this helps you Mr. Sachs

Jim Sachs 10-11-2008 10:16 AM

It's a timing thing, which is different for each system. A different thread is started for the sound system, and if another thread gets ahead of it, then the volume gets set before the sound system is ready for it.

Racer-X 10-11-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 105442)
Are you talking about the bubble sound or the music?

Bubbles only. The music volume stays the same, even when I click on the bubble volume and it goes down.

Glenn

jroseone 10-11-2008 10:12 PM

Jim they both seem to get lower if you toggle them on and off, they start out loud but if you turn them off and then on again they are much lower.

Great work by the way, can't wait to see the finished product. :)

Jim Sachs 10-11-2008 10:23 PM

It's a timing thing with the bubble sound. I haven't had anyone else report the music coming up at a louder volume than the slider indicates. Are you positive that's the case?

jroseone 10-11-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 105728)
It's a timing thing with the bubble sound. I haven't had anyone else report the music coming up at a louder volume than the slider indicates. Are you positive that's the case?

I thought they both got lower, not louder.

They seem to be much louder at the start up, but then lower if you turn them off and then back on.

The bubbles definately do, it sounds like the music gets slightly lower but it's not nearly as noticable as the bubbles if in fact it is getting lower.

Jim Sachs 10-11-2008 11:03 PM

That's what I meant - the sound comes up at full volume when the program is started, then snaps back to its set volume when any sound controls are touched. If it's just the bubble sound there are some things I can try, but the music is a whole separate system, that I really don't want to spend days tearing apart if the problem isn't real.

Racer-X 10-11-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jroseone (Post 105731)
The bubbles definately do, it sounds like the music gets slightly lower but it's not nearly as noticable as the bubbles if in fact it is getting lower.

I thought it was the music as well, but after listening to it carefully I realized that the music isn't changing. The volume of the song gets slightly louder as it progresses, so if you turn it off and on, it starts at the beginning again which is quieter.

For me, it's just the bubble issue. The music is fine.

Just FYI, the music starts immediately, but the bubbles don't start until the screensaver has been running for 5 seconds or so.

Glenn

Jim Sachs 10-11-2008 11:54 PM

Good, then it's the same bug I've been chasing.

jroseone 10-11-2008 11:56 PM

Yes that sounds right, sorry for the confusion.

henemly 10-12-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer-X (Post 105744)
Just FYI, the music starts immediately, but the bubbles don't start until the screensaver has been running for 5 seconds or so.
Glenn

Using Realtek audio on my sys and it does the same. (8 second delay)
ps- using custom mp3 for the music too.

DaleArden 10-16-2008 04:39 PM

I can't help but wonder if this is related to what I posted earlier at https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=4482 , since the disturbance I hear is only in the bubble sound and I've had the 5 second delay as well .

Jim Sachs 10-16-2008 05:34 PM

Yes, it's the same problem.

Racer-X 11-12-2008 07:06 PM

Beta 6 fixes this issue for me!