Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ** SereneScreen Marine Aquarium 2.01 !! ** (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2269)

Coinperson 04-08-2004 10:52 AM

Dual Screen

I was so happy when the dual screen support came out. I installed it and then found that they were mirrored images. I wanted the fist to swim from one screen to the other!

Jim Sachs 04-08-2004 11:16 AM

In order to do that, a lot more artwork would have to be created to carry the background onto another screen.

feldon34 04-08-2004 11:22 AM

It can't be identical tanks that fish swim between?

Sprintmick 04-08-2004 12:10 PM

Hi all, I've downloaded the latest version and all seems to be running very well.But after reading most of your posts on here i have a couple of questions if anyone would like to answer for me.

1:Do i need to delete my earlier version which is still running ok if i want to use it?

2:How do i find out the cpu% of use while the program is running?

3:Is it best to run with fpm on or off as i got a bit confused in the end after reading all your post's on that one.

My machine seems to be able to run the program at any setting but i just wondered which would be your advised setup.

If it helps for an answer my machine has Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06 Ghz ,512 mb of ram, 256mb card'160 Gbt hard disk.
I am using windows xp.

Once again thanks to Jim for a great program that i get many hours of enjoyment from.

Mike

feldon34 04-08-2004 12:20 PM

2. hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and bring up task manager and go to the Performance tab. Then run the Aquarium. Then close the Aquarium and look and see how the CPU Usage bar graph responded.

3. The fps readout uses a lot of CPU. Turn it off if you don't need it.

Using the "Limit FPS" and running the Aquarium in 16-bit are the best ways to keep CPU usage at 10-15%.

Sprintmick 04-08-2004 01:38 PM

Thanks Morgan. Now have everthing under control and can find what i wanted to know.

Mike

Raj 04-24-2004 06:15 PM

Using with Roku?

Hi - First off, terrific program! I purchased a couple of weeks ago and my three year old loves to watch on my laptop.

I have a plasma that I would like to display the aquarium on, but my computer for this purpose is in the basement. I purchased a Roku (without any of their artwork, after reading the posts here) that will stream audio and video to the plasma.

Is there a way to stream the aquarium program, or convert to a looping video or something. Or, something different to be purchased? Last weekend, I saw a store that had an aquarium program on their large screen playing from a DVD. Didn't look nearly as nice as Serene Screen.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

drfish 04-24-2004 08:00 PM

For less than the price of the Roku you could have built a HTPC that could run the real aquarium and dedicated it to the plasma... Personally I'd return it and try to do that...

feldon34 04-24-2004 08:50 PM

You can build an HTPC for $299?

Raj 04-25-2004 05:08 AM

drfish ---

I thought about having a HTPC in my living room. I really didn't want a PC in my equipment cabinet and more importantly it's serving a couple of other purposes (home automation, cameras, whole house music), so it's better in the basement.

I also didn't want to chance a PC locking up and locking a static image on my plasma.......

The Roku is actually a pretty slick unit meeting all of my needs and at $299, you couldn't touch the price vs. a HTPC. The Dell I purchased for my basement was $349 with a P4.

So, does anyone have advice how to do this beyond buying the $69 aquarium program from Roku?

Thx.

drfish 04-25-2004 08:26 AM

$299? If you went real cheap, ebay, and refurb, then yes, no problem...

A little more and you could have a very nice HTPC...

1.6Ghz Duron - $39
MicroATX nForce2 Mobo - $53
256MB DDR Kit - $68
AIW 9000 Pro - $135
40GB HD - $66
16x DVD - $29
Stylish MicroATX case - $37
Total - $427

That's a pretty nice setup IMHO, the AIW is what makes it really great, it comes with an RF remote and nice software like EASYLOOK to make using you HTPC realy easy (as in my wife uses it and doesn't complain). And for $30 bucks more you could add the DVI -> component adapter to get HDTV out of it... If you have and old hard drive or optical drive laying around it could be even cheaper, and you don't need to get the nForce2 mobo, or the dual channel kit, that could save you a few bucks too...

BTW, I'm not critizing your purchase, if it works for you that's great, I'm just saying that if you want the aquarium to run on your plasma, this is what I would do... Well, have done I guess... Except for the plasma part... I've had the aquarium running on a very similar setup to the one above for months now, and I've never had one lockup...

Lastly, you might want to try FRAPS to capture video of the MA... I'm not sure about looping, but if you have a couple hour long video it probably won't be a big deal if it resets every 120 minutes...

wetmonkey 05-02-2004 10:11 AM

With the duron 1.6 you can convert it pretty easily to and athlonXP and increase it to a 2.0ghz athlonxp as well as open the cache. Half the price of a 2400xp!! There are a couple methods to do this and some mobo's that offer easy unlocking from within the bios, though youll need to do a little more work for the cache. Also for $66 bones you can easily pick up an 80 gig HD. Check out pricewatch.com for pricing. You can easily pick up brand name 256meg pc2700 for $48 or even cheaper generics. Check you area for suppliers so you can save on freight. check out
http://forums.pcper.com/ for methods

Xylem 05-04-2004 11:46 PM

Well, I guess I've been away longer than I thought. Would someone be kind enough to bring me up to date on this v2.01?

I bought MA2 in the box at CompUSA about a year ago (I think). At that time everyone here was talking about new fish and new 3d backgrounds, etc. Is that what is featured in v2.01?

Is this an addendum to v2.0? A replacement? Is it available for everyone? Do I need to search through my study for the MA2 disc? Is it required for this updare? Is there a charge for this, or is it a 'demo' ?

And also; what does "MD" stand for?

Anything else an illiterate might need to know?

Thanks folks :)

feldon34 05-05-2004 07:43 AM

Jim re-did the 5 new fish in MA2 so that all 26 fish are by Jim Sachs in MA2.0.1. MA2.0.1 also has dual monitor and widescreen support.

New background, fish, etc. are still off in the future.

Generally, with software versions X.Y.Z, X is major features, Y is minor features, Z is bug fixes.

Tiny Turtle 05-05-2004 10:49 AM

...and "MD" would be "Multi Display".

Xylem 05-07-2004 10:54 AM

Thanks, guys.

cincy-gal 05-20-2004 04:16 PM

I have a question (that's probably in the many pages of this thread but......), I purchased MA 2.0 on the website a few days ago. Am I right in that the 2.01 is different that what I just purchased and I need to buy another upgrade?

Thanks guys, cool forum!
CG

Jim Sachs 05-20-2004 09:04 PM

You are right that it is different, but wrong about needing to buy it. It's a free upgrade.

aj58 05-23-2004 05:59 AM

Feature request:

It'd be wonderful to have an option to feed the fish [d: dinner]. Of course, there'd have to be some way to stop us over-feeding them too :).

Yeah, I know, a whole new rule set for fish movements at feeding time, so I suspect it'd be very low priority - but thought I'd ask anyway.

Jim Sachs 05-23-2004 11:35 AM

It's been on the to-do list since Day1.

cincy-gal 05-24-2004 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
You are right that it is different, but wrong about needing to buy it. It's a free upgrade.
cool! sometimes I just get confused :confused: :D
ever think of a virtual desktop for MA??
[/hint]

Jim Sachs 05-24-2004 10:00 PM

Sure. War, pestilence, famine, my work covered in grafitti - there is never a shortage of unpleasant things to think about.

hero1117 07-05-2004 08:35 AM

2.01 Wisescreen and Time

1 Attachment(s)
Will 2.01 Have the time Function ability with Widescreen?

Edgar 07-05-2004 10:01 AM

Marine Aquarium Time 2.0 MD is available. That has the same Widescreen feature of MA2.01. You should be able to download it from here.

skypx 07-05-2004 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Edgar
Marine Aquarium Time 2.0 MD is available. That has the same Widescreen feature of MA2.01. You should be able to download it from here.
Cool. Thanks for the update. :)

kyeoj 07-09-2004 11:25 AM

Percula clownfish slow in v2.01?

The percula clownfish is my love fish in MA all the times. Tonight, I just found v2.01 available for upgrade and I have downloaded and installed it over v2.0.

After running the v2.01, I found the percula clownfish swim slow than before and sometimes just inactive (as slow as the lion fish).

How about other percula clownfish fans and do you have the same feeling?

Thanks.

Surferminn 07-09-2004 11:51 AM

Hi Kyeoj -- Well, it seems to me that the speed of the fishes vary according to the combination of fishes. some combination they seem to all move faster, some other combos, they all swim slower. I keep mine at random so they get to surprise me. I get a freeze pause now and again and then they keep moving. I been meaning to ask if anybody has mapped out the combos or know which fishes take up more whatever it is that makes the whole lot move a bit slower... I haven't exactly checked percula which is easy enuf -- if I recall, just uncheck the widescreen option and the screen reverts back to original background pic with bigger fishes. The older screen's fishes were also bigger too. My favorite has shifted from one fish to another as time passes... But I'm sure the official technical guys will be along soon enuf with the official scoop on this.

_________
Minn:cowboy:

feldon34 07-09-2004 12:18 PM

kyeoj + surferminn,

If only wishing made it so. All of the fish except the Lionfish use the same swimming model. If you see one fish swimming slower than others, it is a temporary fluke which can be credited to Jim's random behavior engine.

Marine_Aquarium_Guy 07-17-2004 09:58 PM

Sorry guys if this is a dumb queston but is there anything I can do or is there a patch for the selected fish turning to random all the time?

Thanks.

Surferminn 07-18-2004 12:04 AM

Hi Marine Aquarium Guy. Welcome to the forum. Somebody will be along to answer your question. In the meantime, make yourself at home and feel free to browse our threads and post if you feel up to it.

_________
Minn:cowboy:

patscarr 07-18-2004 12:19 AM

Hi Marine_Aquarium_Guy

Next time the aquarium is running, hit the space bar, that will bring up the fish settings panel. Then just drag and drop the fish you want from the right side to the slots in the upper left box. A question mark means random while an x means off.

Hope that helps.

Edgar 07-18-2004 08:25 AM

Marine_Aquarium_Guy,

Telss us what system you have.
Have you downloaded the most recent version from www.SereneScreen.com? I thought that bug was fixed.

Marine_Aquarium_Guy 07-19-2004 12:17 AM

Thanks for the welcomes and responses they are much appreciated. The latest version I have is the download at the begining of this post (MD 2.01)?

Thanks,
Daryl.

Surferminn 07-19-2004 12:53 AM

Hi Daryl -- You forget to say the system you are running on, windows 98, 2000, xp? and any other info you can add like graphics card, etc.. Thanks.

Minn

Marine_Aquarium_Guy 07-19-2004 02:25 AM

I'm running Win98, Pent4, Geforce4 MX600 128MB ummmm... thats bout it.

Edgar 07-19-2004 08:09 AM

I don't think you have the most recent version. Please go to http://www.serenescreen.com/product/aquarium/, at the bottom of the page is the link to the most recent version.

patscarr 07-19-2004 09:45 AM

Be sure to uninstall the older version first and keep your keycode handy.

Marine_Aquarium_Guy 07-20-2004 01:03 AM

Exellent, thanks ppl that worked.

Thanks,
Daryl.

fishey 08-25-2004 06:31 PM

Is there a way to

I was just wondering if there was a way to have more than 7 fish at any one time? Iam not one for docs may have missed something.

Oh and i think I have the record with respect to

http://www.gatesofgaia.plus.com/gates/fish.jpg

patscarr 08-25-2004 08:35 PM

:) Photoshop is amazing! :)