Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Screen Saver mode running at lower FPS (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4729)

CheriePie 01-27-2009 01:12 PM

Screen Saver mode running at lower FPS

I'm running build 8K. Is it normal for it to run at only 30 fps when it kicks in as a screen saver, as opposed to the default 110 fps that it usually runs at when I start it up manually?

I actually don't mind if it drops down to a lower frame rate in screen saver mode because that might be when I'm away from the screen for awhile. The card in my laptop is an NVIDIA GeForce 8700M GT running at 32 bit 1920 x 1200. (MA picks this up fine, it's just the frame rate that's working differently in this case.)

Also, while running, it didn't let my laptop (a Dell XPS M1730) go into sleep or hibernate mode. I assume that's because it kept the CPU busy... however, I'm also a user of Goldfish Aquarium 2.0 and that one does let the system go into sleep at it's scheduled time.

It could be that all this is because it's still beta, or maybe not. Just thought I'd ask and get the scoop so I know what is the expected behavior.

Thanks!

Jim Sachs 01-27-2009 02:59 PM

I can't think of any reason why the frame rate should be different depending on how it's started.

All of my computers go into sleep mode with no trouble.

Edgar 01-27-2009 03:53 PM

When you start it manually, is it also in fullscreen mode or window mode?

CheriePie 01-27-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgar (Post 109801)
When you start it manually, is it also in fullscreen mode or window mode?

Fullscreen in both instances.
I'll often switch to windows mode if I'm actively working in another window and want to watch the fish in a corner of my desktop, but even in those cases, whether full screen or window, when started manually, it's always been the 110 fps.

Jim, okay, well I'm not too concerned about it not going into sleep mode. Since I know it's supposed to, I'll look at other reasons or other things I might've installed around that time. I think I put a bluetooth module in a week or so before I started playing around with MA so that could be the cause as well. On the other hand, if you'd told me that yeah you've seen this a lot and it's not been worked on yet (going into sleep) I wouldn't bother investigating other avenues since I have to play the time juggling game. (So much to do, but not enough hours in the day! LOL)

Edgar, I'll try to catch it sometime at the very beginning of the screensaver kicking in and check the frame rate. This was after it had run all night so perhaps it more had something to do with it running for 6-8 hours in kicking down the frame rate.

Thanks for the replies guys! :)

Edgar 01-27-2009 05:48 PM

Also make sure there is no other beta version of screensaver somewhere.
If you hit the space bar, there is a version there, something likeT126.3.0.1603. Please check that they are the same.