Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Mac OS X (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Enhancement requests (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2562)

drfish 10-12-2004 07:31 PM

They know of Leor, I pointed them in the direction of his pigeon thread... :TU:

Jav400 10-12-2004 08:37 PM

getting a little off topic here :)

johnblommers 10-12-2004 09:29 PM

Whoops

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Jav400
getting a little off topic here :)
Honorable Administrator,

Apologies, we are not a wee bit off topic, we are way off topic. We'll take further discussions to the folding forums :contract:

Best regards ...

- John

PS What are these fish looking for? Answer - their shadows (hint to Jim)

Polcamilla 10-12-2004 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by drfish
...poor Freida... She gets no respect...
Hey---I like Freida. She's very much in my tank by choice! But she does look like a feeder fish (also, I always forget the fish have names, which is dumb since every goldfish I ever owned had a name).

edaniels 10-13-2004 08:06 AM

At the risk of both A) sounding ignorant and B) starting up a discussion that belongs elsewhere... could someone give me a one-sentence description of what the heck "folding" is? I assume it has something to do with molecules, but... teams!? I'm lost.

drfish 10-13-2004 08:58 AM

*cracks knuckles*

Here it goes:
Folding@Home is a distributed computing project run by Standford University with the goal of discovering how protiens assemble or fold as part of an effort to cure various diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson’s which occur when protiens assemble incorrectly or misfold.

Not bad for a first draft... Check out this thread for more info, I won't post anymore here...

Tiny Turtle 10-13-2004 09:50 AM

Quote:

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project run by Standford University with the goal of discovering how protiens assemble or fold as part of an effort to cure various diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson’s which occur when protiens assemble incorrectly or misfold...
..and the teams mentioned are groups of people competing with other groups over who can crunch the most data.

Surferminn 10-13-2004 09:57 AM

that helps clarify things (sometimes the most obvious zips by my radar). :) maybe the admin can move these last 4 posts over to the spare cpu folding thread and add "Folding" to the thread title if doc agrees -- just a suggestion, would never think of hijacking/rewriting someone's thread title... ;)

johnblommers 10-15-2004 01:58 PM

Contact me

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

*cracks knuckles*

Here it goes:
Folding@Home is a distributed computing project run by Standford University with the goal of discovering how protiens assemble or fold as part of an effort to cure various diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson’s which occur when protiens assemble incorrectly or misfold.

Not bad for a first draft... Check out this thread for more info, I won't post anymore here...

OK drfish we need to talk. Please email me at johnblommers AT mac DOT com so we can avoid further off topic posts here, because .....

I've marshalled my hardware (500Mhz G4 Mac, DP 800Mhz QuickSilver Mac, 2.63Mhz HP Pavilion Red Hat 9 box, and my DP 2Ghz G5 Mac) to the folding project and managed to claw my way to postion 822 with 155 work units.

But Judas H Priest! You, drfish, are in position 3 with 9516 work units! TheJuggernaught is in first place with 16447 WU.

Please email me on how I can improve my rank on the team and how to participate in team 2630's discussions.

And Oh Most Honorable and Patient Moderator thank you for your continued indulgence with us Folders :TU:

PS to Jim, these fish are still looking for their shadows

Jav400 10-15-2004 03:39 PM

John check the coffee house, drfish started a thread there about folding, discussions are more than welcome there. :TU:

feldon34 10-15-2004 11:24 PM

They can look all the want. No shadows in these fishtanks.

johnblommers 10-16-2004 12:16 AM

That's what I told them!

Quote:

Originally posted by feldon28
They can look all the want. No shadows in these fishtanks.
Well, these fish are really nice looking, but they're not very bright:dunce: I mean if the shadow is not right beneath 'em, then it's not anywhere! Are they Hollywood fish maybe?:artist:

You can tell a fish, but you can't tell 'em much.

To the fish :cheers:

Robarmo 01-06-2005 04:37 PM

Feature request

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to repeat the request to be able to get a random tank out of those that are checked each time the screensaver is activated.

But what I really wanted to ask is if it would be possible to add a "Petrified Wood - Medium Planting" tank, like there is with the rocks? I really like the "Petrified Wood with Plants" tank but my Mac seems to struggle with all those plants!

By the way, just updated to Mac OS X 10.3.7 and have noticed better frame rates with GA!

Cheers.

Rob.

JimO'Connor 01-06-2005 06:09 PM

Goldfish will get some attention again soon, and I'll see about these two things.

johnblommers 01-06-2005 06:45 PM

That's good to hear

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by JimO'Connor
Goldfish will get some attention again soon ...
Hi Jim, I miss the excitement that surrounded the initial GA release! It's good to hear that GA will get more attention soon.

Happy New Year!

drfish 01-07-2005 07:55 AM

Release it just like that, I'd buy it. ;)

kona001 01-11-2005 12:51 AM

I don't have a mac, but since the Goldfish thread for windows hasn't moved since my last post ages ago, I'll make some requests.

I have to say, shadows over pebbles will look really good if done correctly. And if a fish passes over another fish, a shadow would also have to be created on that fish underneath as well.

However shadows to me aren't as important as "more fish". The jagged edges on the plants that sway should be corrected.

Mouth movement is one of the only things which doesn't look realistic yet.

Have the larger goldfish pick up or try to eat pebbles and spit them back out.

Have the fish rest more often.

Also, goldfish tend to follow each other around constantly. Maybe have some chase each other for a few seconds making that a random occurrence.

My last suggestion includes some pre-programmed events which occur randomly to surprise the viewer as did the Johnny Castaway screensaver long ago. OK, maybe that is asking too much. But it would be fun.

I know I can think of more, and more will come.

You have a great product. And it is the most realistic fish screensaver so far next to Jim Sachs.

Keep up the good work. :)

raven 01-11-2005 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kona001
The jagged edges on the plants that sway should be corrected.

It has been posted before but I can't find it right now: the jagged edges will completely disappear if you enable Anisotropic (Texture) Filtering.
Most 'modern' graphics cards and chipsets support this without it having a big impact on your systems performance.
In my case (ATI 9100 IGP chipset) all I had to do is open the Desktop control panel, click on the Direct3D tab, set AF to 4x and remove a checkmark so it would be the standard setting. It's probably a bit different on NVIDIA cards but shouldn't be that hard to find.

Tiny Turtle 01-11-2005 07:22 AM

Interesting with a PC features discussion in the Mac thread. Moderation?

Jav400 01-11-2005 07:37 AM

Turn about is fair play. :) As long as it doesn't get too bad.