Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Marine Aquarium 3 Comments & Appreciation (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4382)

feldon34 10-18-2008 08:26 AM

clif, moved your "names of the corals" to a separate thread:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=4499

clifdene 10-18-2008 09:05 AM

Many thanks. Hope someone has the answer.

kona001 10-18-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surferminn (Post 106335)
LeeC22 -- Thank you for posting your frank comments above prompting Jim and Morgan's responses giving me more understanding of what it takes to create one of these things. To me there are currently varying levels or degrees of 3D effects in MA3. Some parts distinctly look more 3D than others. But as you said, this is a work in progress not yet final and more is coming.

I have to say that one has to slow down and watch how the scrolling contributes to the 3D effect by slowly opening up different views and angles of the corals which is a good and healthy thing I think (to slow down) in this fast track world.

Thank you for taking the time to create and put this out here for us to enjoy, Jim, amidst your many other concurrent projects. Not to mention for such reasonable price too. In my opinion there is a level of quality in your work that closely reflects the real thing which I have still not yet seen met or match by others. This is one of the advantage I guess of working as an individual for yourself on a project, that you can take the time it take to produce such quality. Keep up the good work. :TU:

It is very true what Surferminn is saying above. There is a quality that your screensaver has that no other can claim as you are doing this because it is your passion, what you love to do and not only to make a quick buck or meet a dealine so you have to rush things compromising place of quality. I will look forward to seeing the fish swim into the little cave and perhaps have one or two of them just sit in there as they sometimes like to do.

EVERRET 10-19-2008 11:32 PM

MA 3

Just downloaded MA 3.......... Wow, I love it !!

It's taken a while but it is worth the wait.

I have not had any problems running it yet, although when i first started it up it kept going off as soon as it came up. My laser Mouse is so sensitive it was shutting off the aquarium as fast as it started, I finally figured it out and hit the spacebar in time to turn off the Exit on mouse move tab.

I'm not sure I like the bubbles in the front... I think they looked better farther back ?

Jav400 10-20-2008 04:42 AM

Before it's over Jim wants to have about 10 options for bubbles placement. I'm hoping for some kind of semi-bubble curtain option for the back of the tank. That would depend on the fps hit I would guess.............

Surferminn 10-20-2008 05:29 AM

Instead of (or in addition to) the steady stream of bubbles, how about random burps of tiny bubbles here and there now and again throughout the aquarium rising to the top?

cjmaddy 10-20-2008 06:14 AM

Yes, :TU: - something like the 'Bubbles: Random' setting in Dream Aquarium? - Only with smaller bubbles, not the larger DA ones.

PaulsPics 10-20-2008 10:50 AM

Hey Jim , I have tried out your M3 in the first trial and again it was looking great in the second issue until today when it Died out ( timed out ? ) I can report that it all worked without any problem but I missed seeing my Logo Crystal with smiley face "Pauls Pics" .
I trialed it with upm to 30 fish laded up, no problems, just a run of the mill computer at 3200 Mgbs , One thing I noticed is that you have missed putting your 'signature' in the sand. Is it possible to keep this last trial running till the next is issued ?? Pretty Please !! its quite stunning and I was glad to see that lovely large Coral again. the one that was on the orignal version 1 way back in 2002. Great work . Thanks Paul in Sydney.

Jav400 10-20-2008 11:01 AM

The Beta's are set to time out automatically after a certain amount of time. This makes sure that versions don't overlap each other and that everyone is testing the appropriate one at the right time. I am sure Jim will have another version out soon.

Jeremy Bruce 10-21-2008 07:58 AM

I have been quietly watching these forums for the past few years. I would like to thank you, Jim for your work and thank the forum regulars who have been so encouraging. Thanks for letting us play with the beta! BTW, it works beautifully on my standard out of the box HP with onboard video.

Splashy 10-21-2008 11:48 AM

Just wanted to say I'm new here and I'm now addicted to this screen saver :)
I loved MA2.6 but MA3 is even better, much improved.
I'm running it on my new LG 26" LCD TV and enjoying every minute.
ATI HD 4850, 111 fps at 1280x1024x32
Vista Ultimate 32 bit on 2 monitors (LCD monitor & LCD TV) with UltraMon.
Great job Jim, keep up the good work!

Jim Sachs 10-21-2008 11:51 AM

Thanks, Splashy.

meerupps 10-24-2008 09:53 AM

Amazing!!! Just one Question...(Isn't there always?)

Jim, with all the people you have encountered , you likely won't remember us, except my wifes maiden name is also Sachs and she hailed from San Diego...

Ok, I am running a Quad core twin monitor system (Soon to be 3 or 4) and all is perfect!

No Bugs to report, 120fps (approx) on both monitors, simply perfect.

The one question, and I MAY be jumping the Gun, but am very curious...

Will the Clocks be coming back? Clocks / Logos?

I ask because we have always used yours as our default since day one.
I even programmed my business logo into the crystal for all of my clients to see.

No hurry, just curious. And by the way, even unfinished - It was worth the wait.

Abundant Thanks for the effort.

Brian & Kathy

Brian & Kathy Sachs Stevens
Stevens Design Ltd
85 Dean Road
Marlborough, MA 01752
508-251-1410

Jav400 10-24-2008 10:14 AM

That will be returning in a later update.

Simple Steve 10-24-2008 11:24 AM

I'm just curious if Mr. Sachs has the new fish behavior and movement models and all of that set to go and is just waiting to fix operational bugs before adding them in, or is he waiting to write that code until after he's sure of a stable environment?

Jim Sachs 10-24-2008 02:46 PM

Brian and Kathy - welcome back.

Steve - I still have to write that code. After we get out of Beta testing, my first job will be to bring the simplest background objects to life - the ones which simply sway in the current. The new fish behavior will be the second task.

Falz 10-28-2008 02:56 AM

Can I enable vsync? Can't find the registry key that was present in 2.6.

I could force it in the driver but would prefer it was in the aquarium (with triple buffering for older machines ideally).

Jim Sachs 10-28-2008 07:20 PM

I haven't looked into putting vsync into the program yet.

Falz 10-30-2008 01:16 AM

You've got a panning background now, you'd probably want vsync lol.

Jim Sachs 10-30-2008 08:14 AM

Anyone can just turn it on in their driver sheet.

Mith 10-31-2008 03:57 AM

WHEW! I just read this whole thread from the beginning! One thing that impresses me is how much attention Jim pays to people who post stuff. Not only does he reply, but he in one case, mentioned the topic was in another thread, YET he still answered again. Now that, considering all that's invovled (time wise) in making the screensaver, is amazing. Talk about customer care!!!!

Anyway, I got 2.6 tonight so I'd have the key for MA3. Also, it's incredibly fun to see the developement of the screensaver as it progresses! Listening to Jim talk about the furture endeavors he's going to be adding to the tank... whoa... talk about anticipation!

Anywho... that's it. ARE WE HAVING FUN YET!!!!

Jim Sachs 10-31-2008 07:46 AM

Thanks, Mith. We're on a quick vacation right now but I try to log on at least once a day. Driving from Boston to Montreal today.

Ex_Brit 10-31-2008 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 106882)
Thanks, Mith. We're on a quick vacation right now but I try to log on at least once a day. Driving from Boston to Montreal today.

Enjoy the trip to Canada Jim and take a well earned rest.

Jim Sachs 10-31-2008 08:08 AM

Hard to relax on the road here. I thought it would be all laid-back / Martha Stewart / antique-shopping drivers, but noooo. The speed limit's 35, I'm going 70, and there's always a car glued to my bumper. Seriously - so close I can't even see their headlights in my mirror because they are below my trunk. That's how it's been about 80% of the time. And when there's a yellow light a half-block ahead, which will be red LONG before I get there, these soccar-moms on my bumper swoop around me to run the red light, causing cross-traffic hyper-caffienated group to slam on their brakes. If I ever need to be reminded why I live in Southern Oregon, I just need to take a trip like this.

Ex_Brit 10-31-2008 08:13 AM

..and you are typing that as you drive...? LOL

Good luck, especially with the French-Canadians, they drive fast.

feldon34 10-31-2008 10:06 AM

I haven't been to Montreal in 20 years. It's where my mother, father, and 2 brothers were born.

Ex_Brit 10-31-2008 11:02 AM

It's been years since I was there too. Enjoy!

Mith 10-31-2008 06:52 PM

For poop sakes Jim... ENJOY YOUR VACATION AND FORGET OUT US FOR A WHILE!... LOL

We'll be just fine amongst ourselves!!!! If you're reading this... YOUR VIOLATING MY ORDERS!

Hope you have fun and hopefully you only read this when you return. Gonna post pictures of your trip??? Hmmm:????

Jim Sachs 10-31-2008 08:07 PM

I'm in Montreal now, typing with difficulty on a French keyboard. Couldn't buy the replacement Casio Exilim before we left, so no pictures on this trip. Weather is good.

Ex_Brit 11-01-2008 04:58 AM

You can buy throw away cameras at just about any milk/drug store, if you really want to take pictures.

cjmaddy 11-01-2008 06:47 AM

I can't quite get my head around that.... The developer of the SereneScreen screensavers, buying throw-away cameras at a milk store. :erm: - :)

Ex_Brit 11-01-2008 06:53 AM

LOL. I know it does sound a bit in the "how the mighty have fallen" department, but it was only a suggestion.:lol::D

StuDisney 11-02-2008 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex_Brit (Post 106908)
You can buy throw away cameras at just about any milk/drug store, if you really want to take pictures.

CVS caries a throw away Digital Camera

ROBinLA 11-02-2008 08:43 PM

You ever make it to NYC Jim?

Tiny Turtle 11-03-2008 08:14 AM

Shouldn't you be ROBinNYC? :)

Jim Sachs 11-03-2008 09:15 PM

We're at the Ramada at JFK airport tonight. Flying home at 7 a.m.

sooty 11-03-2008 10:51 PM

feedback for the good!

I run 4 x 20" widescreen monitors 1680x1050. Two monitors operate from a XFX Nvidia 9800GT and the other two run from a Nvidia 9600GT. The system is Vista SP1 3.1ghz overclocked to 4.2Ghz. Both GPU cards are clocked.
the saver FPS is 87

the screens are setup into a rectangle shape, 2 above 2 below.

the screensaver so far works fantastic so add those 2 graphic setups to your ok list.

great work. my kids love it.

Edgar 11-03-2008 11:58 PM

Wow! I would love to see a picture of that setup.

Tiny Turtle 11-04-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooty (Post 106968)
I run 4 x 20" widescreen monitors 1680x1050. Two monitors operate from a XFX Nvidia 9800GT and the other two run from a Nvidia 9600GT. The system is Vista SP1 3.1ghz overclocked to 4.2Ghz. Both GPU cards are clocked.
the saver FPS is 87

the screens are setup into a rectangle shape, 2 above 2 below.

the screensaver so far works fantastic so add those 2 graphic setups to your ok list.

great work. my kids love it.

PICTURES! (Preferably with someone standing next to that beast of a setup for size comparison) :)

Mith 11-05-2008 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 106887)
The speed limit's 35, I'm going 70, and there's always a car glued to my bumper.

Jim.... you'd better look real closely just to make sure what exactly kind of vehicle it is!!!!!! http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9...cargoodwp5.gif

:eek: