Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   new to board (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2172)

bartholomew 01-15-2004 12:42 PM

new to board

hey all..
my name is jess, im 17 and just got both goldfish and salt water... i <3 them both and cant figure out which one ot use as my screen saver right now, such a tough choice! in rl, i have 2 betta fish, Bartholomew, the oldest is coming on 3 yrs, and socrates, who is about a year.
I have a q for anyone into rl fish...
Socrates is in a 3.5 gal tank.. first of all, is that to big, and second, can i add anything to the tank fishy wise? Ive read that goldfish are a bad idea.. but that its possible to introduce more fish into a bettas environment. W. a 3.5 gal, i know it cant be anything large, and cant be more than one fish.. but is there anything i can add?
Also, currently i grow bamboo shoots in the tanks, is this ok?

jess

klyntun 01-15-2004 07:48 PM

Welcome to the forum. Personally I wouldn't add anymore fish to a tank that small, unless it is a catfish or algae eater (or a plecostomus). I don't know how you have it landscaped, but a couple of nice rocks or some bogwood, and some plants should complete it. Of course, you could add a female Betta. That shouldn't cause any problems.

Jav400 01-15-2004 08:39 PM

I know someone that has a Pleco in with a Beta, it seems to work ok so far, about 6 months or so. Its a risk any way you look at it though. Good Luck with whatever you try, and Welcome to the Forum. :)

Panthera 01-15-2004 09:08 PM

I have one of my Bettas with my Tiger Barbs and Pleco, no problem there.

drfish 01-15-2004 10:04 PM

I thought tiger barbs are fin nippers... You must have some friendly ones...

Personally I think a female Betta might work out, but I wouldn't do anything else... Plecos grow too large to put in a tank that size (the ones commonly found in stores anyway) and any kind of cory or otto really needs to be kept in a group of 4 or more to thrive... You might want to consider ghost shrimp or maybe a large snail... Maybe a couple guppies...

Panthera 01-15-2004 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by drfish
I thought tiger barbs are fin nippers... You must have some friendly ones...
I thought so too, but they are all fine together.. no fin nipping happening here. I must've raised'em right. :D

klyntun 01-16-2004 12:13 AM

Being a Tigress yourself, you probably know how to keep them in line. ;)

Panthera 01-16-2004 01:25 AM

Hehe yeaaa.. they know whos King.. err Queen. ;)

Tiny Turtle 01-16-2004 01:30 AM

If Plecos grow too big, then an Ancistrus might be a better choice. I've never seen one above four inches long. Also, they are better at eating algae than Plecos.

/Tiny Alternative

nreimer 01-16-2004 11:53 AM

I would not recommend putting a female Beta in with him, especially in a 3.5 gal tank. He will chase her and harrass her. If you do put them together she needs a refuge to hide in. Of course, when they are ready to mate you can put her in with him for a short time, but she will often be trashed by him in the process. All of this from my limited experience raising Betas.

-Neil

ESHIREY 01-16-2004 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nreimer
I would not recommend putting a female Beta in with him, especially in a 3.5 gal tank. He will chase her and harrass her. If you do put them together she needs a refuge to hide in. Of course, when they are ready to mate you can put her in with him for a short time, but she will often be trashed by him in the process. All of this from my limited experience raising Betas.

-Neil

WOW This sounds like some people I know :D

But you are right . The male will do that .

IXNAY 01-16-2004 05:24 PM

WELCOME JESS
*BIG HUG*

Marian Nichols 01-16-2004 06:37 PM

Welcome to the forum and I see you have been given excellent advice thus far for keeping betas, I can add no more. Might be time for you to branch out a little bit, for if you are like the other fish freaks here on the forum, you are going to want a bigger aquarium.:TU:

Calenna 01-31-2004 11:30 AM

Hi Everyone

Hi Everone! I wanted to say Hi to everyone and hope to talk to you soon. I just purchased Goldfish Aquarium screensaver. It is so beautiful! I just love it. I hope to purchase Marine Aquarium 2 sometime soon also. I love Aquariums but don't really have the patience to do all that is necessary to keep a real aquarium. So I really love it on my computer. ;)

ESHIREY 01-31-2004 11:36 AM

Hello to you too Calenna . A big WELCOME to the forums . You will love it here . Your right , if you can't have a fish tank of your own for any reason this is the next best thing . All the programs are great . Plus you can get a lot of help here for just about anything . Check out the coffee house .

Again Welcome :)

patscarr 01-31-2004 12:48 PM

That is one of the best parts about these aquarium programs, low maintenance. :)

Marian Nichols 01-31-2004 01:22 PM

Yes, welcome aboard. I have both screen savers, and I love the goldfish one, I actually do keep goldfish. There are many plans in the works for both of them and we really enjoying discussing what may come in the future. Jim has a great plan for a creature pack for the M2 aquarium, and this we anticipate with impatient.

Calenna 01-31-2004 03:19 PM

WOW, it all sounds so wonderful! Thank you all for the great welcome! I'll check out the coffee house! Can't wait to see the creature pack for the M2 aquarium. The main reason for not having live fish is my little fish catchers! LOL I have 4 cats!

Jav400 01-31-2004 09:30 PM

calenna,

Welcome to our little corner of the universe, glad you got a warm reception. :)

IXNAY 02-01-2004 11:44 AM

WELCOME