Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   any news on upcoming additions to marine aquarium 3? (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16075)

patscarr 03-29-2013 10:01 AM

Awesome! Can't wait to start beta testing!

hillover 03-29-2013 10:37 AM

Perhaps you've already taken care of this, Jim.

Otherwise, I suggest that a good backup and recovery strategy should come before work on additions to MA3.

Jim Sachs 03-29-2013 11:19 AM

Recovering the programs wasn't the real problem - it was installing them on a new machine. When you buy programs from private parties on eBay (the only way I can afford something like Lightwave or Visual Studio or Dreamweaver), you download them and really only have one shot at a license. If your hard drive fails and you have to install the program on a different machine, the company shows you as being over your license limit.

hillover 03-29-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 146878)
Recovering the programs wasn't the real problem - it was installing them on a new machine. When you buy programs from private parties on eBay (the only way I can afford something like Lightwave or Visual Studio or Dreamweaver), you download them and really only have one shot at a license. If your hard drive fails and you have to install the program on a different machine, the company shows you as being over your license limit.

There are several backup and recovery solutions available, that do not require re-"installation". The solutions that will "restore" a new disk drive to the same contents as a failed drive usually work seamlessly. Those that will completely restore the contents of a failed PC to an entirely new PC often work OK, depending on the licensing schema - and if they require a new license, the vendor will almost always respond positively to a phone call describing the situation.

Don't I recall that this situation has caused you great grief and much work and delay several times in the past? (Sorry if this is a sore subject). I'm just suggesting that you might consider investing now, in something that might prevent that cost in the future.

harris 03-29-2013 12:01 PM

Great news, Jim.

It will be nice to have some new options/features again, but please don't wear yourself down like you did in the past by pulling all-nighters. :)

Also, looking forward to spending some money for a creature pack or two if you decide to continue that development path too.

Jav400 03-29-2013 01:48 PM

So what time tomorrow will you have all this ready?

Bet, you didn't miss that part huh? ;) :lol::lol:

Jim Sachs 03-29-2013 02:14 PM

hillover - I actually did buy and use one of the PC Clone programs, but all my major software always detected that they were now installed on a different hard drive, and required re-registration. The manufacturers were not the least bit sympathetic, since I did not buy the software from them at retail. In fact, they were downright nasty about it. (Especially Adobe - I never did get Dreamweaver running again.)

We're talking about a lot of money to buy new versions of these programs. Just the latest Lightwave UPGRADE is $750.

hillover 03-29-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 146888)
hillover - I actually did buy and use one of the PC Clone programs, but all my major software always detected that they were now installed on a different hard drive, and required re-registration. The manufacturers were not the least bit sympathetic, since I did not buy the software from them at retail. In fact, they were downright nasty about it. (Especially Adobe - I never did get Dreamweaver running again.)

We're talking about a lot of money to buy new versions of these programs. Just the latest Lightwave UPGRADE is $750.

OK, looks like you've studied the situation, and decided that 6 months to "recover" is the right tradeoff. Your call, of course. Sorry I re-opened the question.

Jim Sachs 03-29-2013 04:19 PM

I'm sure that there's an insult in there somewhere, but I'm too busy to deal with it right now.

hillover 03-29-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 146899)
I'm sure that there's an insult in there somewhere, but I'm too busy to deal with it right now.

Sorry - no insult was intended. I apologize that it looked that way. And again apologize for opening what is clearly a settled issue, thus wasting everyone's time.

andym107 11-15-2014 02:57 AM

Hi, sure you're fed up with being asked, but are there any plans for a major new release of Serenescreen? Not that 3 isn't great, of course!

Jim Sachs 11-15-2014 10:45 PM

A lot of people haven't even downloaded v3.3 yet!

pcunite 10-09-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 153680)

Well, serenescreen still mentions the latest version as 3.2.

Jim Sachs 10-10-2015 12:15 AM

Prolific is hard at work on the new Android version.

hillover 10-10-2015 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 153680)

Just out of curiosity - how is that statistic measured/monitored?

Jim Sachs 10-10-2015 09:52 PM

Measured by the small number of downloads compared to the billion-or-so copies of earlier versions out there.

Bectile 11-22-2015 10:16 PM

I downloaded mine today! I am doing a fresh install on a new laptop and went looking for the latest version, and there it was! :) It looks as beautiful as it ever did.

Jim Sachs 11-27-2015 10:10 PM

Glad to hear it!