Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   MA3 shuts down laptop (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5321)

tomicjr 04-22-2010 10:10 PM

MA3 shuts down laptop

I purchased a license and installed MA3 with no problem. I can access the settings, but as soon as I try Preview or allow the screen saver to activate - the laptop SHUTS DOWN right after the splash screen!

Dell Precision M4300
Windows XP SP3 (32-bit)
4GB RAM
nVidia Quadro FX360M (ForceWare 175.75)
dual monitor - laptop panel / external LCD panel

I have the latest BIOS and graphics drivers, and do not have an issue with any other applications. This is reproducible EVERY time! I have tried several different combinations of settings, even a single monitor at various resolutions and color depths. Very frustrating!

Any suggestions?? :confused:

Jim Sachs 04-23-2010 12:18 AM

tomicjr - So it just started doing this after you entered a Key Code, and not when you tested it before purchasing?

Are we talking about the official download version (10d), or the test version (11e)?

feldon34 04-23-2010 01:32 AM

Are those nVidia drivers compatible with your laptop? Very often, laptops will not accept (or run reliably) with desktop graphics drivers. Did you have to use any tricks or workarounds to get those drivers to install?

tomicjr 04-23-2010 01:37 PM

MA3 shuts down laptop

Thank you for the quick reply! I actually upgraded from MA 2 and 2.6 + Time that I used in the past, and purchased the upgrade before using TESTFISH mode...

The video drivers are the latest from the Dell Support site, which I have been running for well over a year with several high-end graphics applications. I have never had an application corrupt the display, let alone shutdown the laptop! Very bizarre...

Different advanced adapter settings have made no difference. It is very frustrating since it takes ~10 minutes between attempts! :(

I have to believe that there are other customers with nVidia Quadro-based systems...

Also, I have the latest BIOS and Video BIOS...and have also tried various resolutions and color depths...

Dale 04-23-2010 01:47 PM

For one diagnostic, please try:
A. Disconnect your external monitor and run MA3.
B. Reconnect the external monitor, turn off your built-in monitor, and run MA3.

Also, have you looked at the event log to see if there are any clues?

tomicjr 04-23-2010 02:55 PM

I have tried that, and it makes no difference...

Which event log - there is nothing in the Windows Event Viewer. Is there one for MA?

JohnWho 04-23-2010 03:37 PM

In the Settings, Display Settings screen in MA3 change the "wait for vertical sync" setting and let us know if it makes any difference.

Also, in the same MA3 screen, are you set for "automatic" in "Display mode for this adapter" setting? Maybe trying one of the appropriate other settings will make a difference?

Dale 04-23-2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomicjr (Post 120896)
Which event log - there is nothing in the Windows Event Viewer. Is there one for MA?

Nope. Thanks for checking that.

What does your system do when it's re-starting? That is, is there a "Windows was not shut down properly" (or whatever that says), and an opportunity to choose whether to start XP normally or some other way?

feldon34 04-24-2010 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomicjr (Post 120896)
Which event log - there is nothing in the Windows Event Viewer

1. Right-click My Computer.
2. Choose Properties.
3. Click the Advanced tab.
4. Click the Settings button next to Startup and Recovery.
5. Under the System Failure group, make sure the 3 checkboxes are enabled, and the 2 boxes below are set to Small memory dump (64KB) and %SYSTEMROOT%\Minidump

Next time you crash, can you examine the file C:\Minidump in Wordpad or Notepad and see what it says?

Derrek 04-24-2010 05:59 AM

Is the computer actually powering down or is it getting stuck on a black screen and you are having to do a hard restart?

tomicjr 04-28-2010 07:36 PM

MA3 shuts down laptop

The splash screen appears, then the screen goes black for a fraction of a second like it will render the screen saver...then the laptop POWERS OFF.

There is no minidump file created, no BSOD.

I recall one other time this happened...it was with iTunes and the visualizer. It didn't happen everytime like it does with MA3.

I will try it on another desktop system with an nVidia chipset.

Weird...

Thanks for your assistance and suggestions!

JohnWho 04-28-2010 07:44 PM

Did you try those suggestions in my post #7, above?

tomicjr 04-28-2010 08:03 PM

MA3 shuts down laptop

Yes, I did try the suggestions in #7.

I tried using Automatic, as well as several other resolutions and color depths.

Same problem every time...

I installed it another desktop system with a similar nVidia video adapter, and it seems to work fine...

Dale 04-28-2010 08:03 PM

As I asked in Post #8:

What does your system do when it's re-starting? That is, is there a "Windows was not shut down properly" (or whatever that says), and an opportunity to choose whether to start XP normally or some other way?

tomicjr 04-28-2010 08:12 PM

The system doesn't restart on it's own. It powers completely off. After pressing the power on button, it starts up normally with no errors or indication that it was shutdown improperly!

These threads describe a similar issue with iTunes:

http://discussions.apple.com/message...sageID=6992994
http://discussions.apple.com/message...sageID=7202206

It is not a thermal issue.

JohnWho 04-28-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomicjr (Post 121139)
Yes, I did try the suggestions in #7.

OK, thanks. Just trying to eliminate possibilities.

Quote:

I installed it another desktop system with a similar nVidia video adapter, and it seems to work fine...
Similar? Can they both run the same drivers? If so, are they both running the same drivers?

JohnWho 04-28-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomicjr (Post 121141)

We can't be sure, since the poster replaced Vista with XP, but it looks like the second problem was with Spybot.

The first one, at least the beginning poster, is using an ATI video card, so that makes that person's iTune problem very much different from yours.

I wouldn't waste a lot of time expecting the iTune discussions to be relevant to your problem other than it possibly being a video card/video driver issue.

Dale 04-28-2010 10:16 PM

OK, if you're sure it's not a thermal issue.

First, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555541 - to enable the Shutdown Event Tracker.

Look at a few other articles like http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx and https://www.microsoft.com/resources/....mspx?mfr=true

See if that provides a clue, the next time it shuts down.

I would suggest drastically reducing the frame rate, to see if that helps -- but I can't think how to do that in your situation. Perhaps somebody else can think of a way.

Rick Simon 04-29-2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 121145)
I would suggest drastically reducing the frame rate, to see if that helps -- but I can't think how to do that in your situation. Perhaps somebody else can think of a way.

If Tomicjr is comfortable using regedit, he might try the following keys:

HKCU\Software\SereneScreen\ MarineAquarium3\StartWindowed
Set DWORD value to 1 to start MA3 in Windowed mode, 0 in full screen mode.

HKCU\Software\SereneScreen\ MarineAquarium3\FrameSleepTime
Set Binary data to 1e 00 00 00 to set Sleep Rate to 30 (lowest frame rate)

The usual caveats about editing one's registry apply. Namely, if you are not comfortable editing the registry directly, you probably shouldn't do so at all. It is not a good place to tinker around in since making a mistake in there can result in serious problems with your computer.

Dale 04-29-2010 10:06 AM

Thanks, Rick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomicjr (Post 120851)

Dell Precision M4300

nVidia Quadro FX360M (ForceWare 175.75)

Any suggestions?? :confused:

Just checking - I presume you are aware that Dell has had problems with M4300s with NVidia GPUs, and has extended the warranty.

Also - what is your networking connection? If you are just using wireless, there's a suspected issue with power settings. Not applicable with wired networks, of course.

Yes, we're grasping at straws here.