Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   *** Marine Aquarium for iPhone & iPad *** (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5298)

Dale 04-04-2010 08:29 PM

60 ppi versus 132 ppi would make quite a difference. But I presume every other full-screen application developer is facing the same problem.

AKcrab 04-04-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 120132)
Correct. So you can picture 480x320 images stretched to 1024x768. By the way, 1024x768 is the MA2.6 native res on the PC and Mac, so it may be possible to get it to run in that res on the iPad.

To market this product as "designed for both iPhone and iPad" seems a bit disingenuous to me. If it is "designed for the iPad" that means (to me) that it has been (re)coded to fit the iPad native resolution.

If I'm reading you right, it is basically running the iPhone app at 2X.

Jim Sachs 04-04-2010 09:22 PM

The conversion was done by Jim O'Connor's team. Like all other iPad developers, they only had an emulation program on the Mac. MA2.6 was selected by Apple as an official iPad app. Jim O's iPad hasn't arrived yet, but Mike Babin's has. Mike was able to get full-resolution of Ma2.6 on the iPad, despite severe programming constraints.

feldon34 04-05-2010 08:54 AM

Marine Aquarium 2.6 is $0.99. That's LESS THAN ONE DOLLAR.

So I'm going to have limited patience allusions to this somehow being a ripoff. I'm not saying criticism and suggestions are not welcome, but please consider the price of the product.

Note: Because of the way the App Store works, customers will get a notification that a new version is available.

Jim Sachs 04-05-2010 09:22 AM

A couple of people have reported that MA2.6 actually looks very good on the iPad.

Jim Sachs 04-05-2010 10:21 AM

Mike Babin was able to get MA2.6 to use full resolution. You can even stretch and zoom in, using fingertip control.

Michael Babin 04-05-2010 10:33 AM

Yes, full resolution on the iPad. No pixel doubling, stretching, scaling, etc.

Submitting the final binary before receiving the actual hardware was a bit nerve-wracking, to say the least. Since Apple reviews all the software before putting it up for sale on the App Store, I was almost entirely certain users wouldn't encounter any major flaws if the app made it through review. Still, first thing I did with my new iPad was test MA.

Jim Sachs 04-05-2010 11:01 AM

Yay, Mike!

Dale 04-05-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Babin (Post 120158)
Yes, full resolution on the iPad. No pixel doubling, stretching, scaling, etc.

Submitting the final binary before receiving the actual hardware was a bit nerve-wracking, to say the least. Since Apple reviews all the software before putting it up for sale on the App Store, I was almost entirely certain users wouldn't encounter any major flaws if the app made it through review. Still, first thing I did with my new iPad was test MA.

Congratulations.

And please don't interpret my posts as criticism - I was just quoting the numbers, and it didn't surprise me that there might have been restrictions.

Glad you got full resolution, and of course on the slightly-smaller-than-monitor screen with the same number of pixels, it should look even better.

feldon34 04-05-2010 12:21 PM

I've gone back and edited Jim's posts to indicate that Marine Aquarium 2.6 in fact displays on the iPad with no resolution issues.

But I'm considering closing the thread, since I'd rather folks not find this thread or reference this thread and somehow come to the conclusion that the iPad version is compromised in some way.

Jim Sachs 04-05-2010 12:39 PM

Thanks, Morgan, but I don't think closing the thread is necessary. The iPhone/iPad version is working as we hoped, and feedback is welcome.

Dathomir 04-07-2010 08:04 AM

Downloaded and installed on my iPhone and works a treat.

Now I can carry my aquarium around with me! (and annoy people with the bubble sound on high volume! :) )

Jim Sachs 04-07-2010 09:31 AM

Thanks, Dathomir!

Anyone who has downloaded and likes MA2.6 is encouraged to give it a positive rating in the App Store. At 99 cents (20 cents for me), we have to sell an awful lot of these things to make it worth the trouble. Right now, it buys my lunch. At least I can afford jelly with the peanut butter.

henemly 04-07-2010 03:49 PM

Them 20¢ add up. One million buyers is $200,000 bucks :D

Nicki 04-07-2010 04:54 PM

A lot of these apps do actually sell into the millions, so I'm told. If only Jim had invented Farmville.

Jim Sachs 04-07-2010 06:39 PM

The Koi app was the biggest seller on the iPhone, and sold in the millions. We seem to be stuck at 126 per day.

MikeL 04-07-2010 06:41 PM

Droid Eris?

Will there be an Android version too? Fingers crossed. I'm in tech school doing web design and everyone loves the screensaver on my laptop.

AKcrab 04-07-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon34 (Post 120153)
So I'm going to have limited patience allusions to the idea that this is somehow a ripoff. I'm not saying criticism and suggestions are not welcome, but please consider the price of the product.

I was merely concerned about what the product actually was. I bought it for my iPhone.

I sell/repair macs for a living, so you might say I live and breathe Apple. I was immediately worried having seen iPhone apps running at 2x on the iPad. The apps work fine, but they look likecrap.

Feedback from iPad owners has been that they are deleting iPhone versions of apps the second an iPad version is offered.

I'm extremely pleased that the iPad version is rendered natively for the iPad. I bet it looks stunning. Maybe I'll spend $2.97 and install it on our 3 demo iPad units. :D

feldon34 04-07-2010 10:09 PM

I updated the fan site with mocked up pictures of the Aquarium on iPhone and iPad.

rhildinger 04-08-2010 03:56 PM

Purchased and now running on my iPad, and it works great! Unfortunately since this is the MA2.6 version, the low resolution background texture is pretty obvious and could really use some improvement. Mostly it makes me immediately wish for an MA3 port.

-Robert