Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Future: Freshwater Aquarium (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   YT's Tank (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2912)

Yellow Tang 02-15-2005 02:19 PM

YT's Tank

1 Attachment(s)
Hmm.. let me say, it's a little bit late, but without a good camera it wasn't easy to get some nice pictures of my tank...
It is running since Oct. 2004 and of course, I still have a little algea problem. Basically it is (will be) an east-african cichlid tank with fishes of lake Malawi.
At the moment there are only 3 adult 'Pseudotropheus elongatus' in it, together with some little 'Danio rerio' (the number of them is constantly decreasing, depending on the appetite or the cichlids :D )
I will keep you updated with the progress, there are more fishies to come!

drfish 02-15-2005 02:25 PM

Very pretty, of course I would have gone with Tangs myself... ;)

feldon34 02-15-2005 02:47 PM

Very nice photograph. Rarely do I see such detail in photos of aquariums.

Marian Nichols 02-15-2005 02:53 PM

Looks good to me,

Surferminn 02-15-2005 02:58 PM

YT- Very nice picture, love the black and pink rocks. was this photo take by your brand new Canon digital camera?

patscarr 02-15-2005 04:31 PM

Yes, it looks great. A little algae is a good thing.

klyntun 02-15-2005 07:32 PM

Nice! Are those plants anubias? I'm guessing you must have some strong support under it with all those rocks in it.

IXNAY 02-16-2005 01:32 AM

Cool tank man, but the white wall behind it doesn't look good.

Yellow Tang 02-16-2005 03:22 AM

Doc,
I know, Malawian are a little easier to keep so I started with them, but maybe somewhen I will switch to Tangs, I love those Tropheus.

Minn,
If you like pink rocks, go to south-west sweden, they use such rocks as gravel besides sidewalks (I took them with me at a trip last year). Of course it was my new cam.

Pat,
Yes, for the fishies, they like (and eat) it! But I would prefer to get rid of them.

Clint,
Yes, the plants are anubias, those are one of the species which doesn't get ripped by cichlids, at least so far! It's only a 200l (55 gal) tank, so it's not that heavy.

Ix,
Yes, I'm still looking for a nice background picture, maybe I will paint one by myself. Could also be just plain blue, any ideas? :confused:

Tiny Turtle 02-16-2005 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow Tang
Minn,
If you like pink rocks, go to south-west sweden, they use such rocks as gravel besides sidewalks (I took them with me at a trip last year). Of course it was my new cam.

Minnie,
I'd mail you some pink granite, but I fear the postage may not be to your liking...

YT,
I think the background looks ok. The crystal clear water looks even clearer like that.

Marian Nichols 02-16-2005 05:23 AM

I once installed a mirror on the back glass, and it looked really good. At two other times I painted the back glass blue and once black.

I do not like those painted backgrounds myself,

drfish 02-16-2005 05:56 AM

YT,
I've never had any trouble with them at all, as far as I'm concerened they are as easy to keep as Mollies or something, and they breed like Mollies too... :eek: Give them a try, at least try to find yourself some shell dwellers... :D

Tiny Turtle 02-16-2005 06:32 AM

NOTHING breeds like Mollies – Except maybe Guppies, and...um, wait... – oh forget I said anything! :D

Marian Nichols 02-16-2005 07:12 AM

"What?!"

drfish 02-16-2005 07:16 AM

The funny thing is that I've never gotten any of the livebearers I've kept to breed, but the first Brichardi I ever had made more babies than... Uh, better stop there... ;)

Liath 02-16-2005 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow Tang
Doc,
Yes, I'm still looking for a nice background picture, maybe I will paint one by myself. Could also be just plain blue, any ideas? :confused:

I like a plain black or dark blue background. That's what I use for my big tank. For smaller tanks I just keep lots of plants so you can't really see the back anyways.

drfish 02-16-2005 08:49 AM

He said that to me? ;)

I guess I'll comment anyway, both of my tanks just have a plain black background...

Yellow Tang 02-16-2005 11:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, I'll probably give that black a try.

Speaking of breeding... those Malawian cichlids are very productive.
Every 5 weeks the females have their mouth full of eggs, 3 weks later 20 little fishies more... :eek:
At first I thought the newbies wouldn't have a chance to survive (that's why I have this little breeding box inside) but fortunately they have also no problems in the tank. If anyone would like to have some of them, no problem. ;)
The 1st pic is from the breeding box, the 2nd inside the big tank.

drfish 02-16-2005 11:25 AM

Awww, they're sooo cute!!! :heart:

Liath 02-16-2005 03:17 PM

oh my goodness. They're so tiny :D :heart: