Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Future: Freshwater Aquarium (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   multiple fish (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2194)

aiaman 01-31-2004 12:58 PM

multiple fish

I would like to see an option to choose the number of fish per species. I always wanted to have a tank of schooling neons. Is this possible?

Jav400 01-31-2004 09:33 PM

You can choose multiples of the same fish already. But if you mean actually schooling fish, those hope to be included, but it will be a schooling species that you choose as one choice, not that you can make any fish in the aquarium school.

patscarr 02-01-2004 01:26 AM

When the aquarium is running, hit the A key, that will bring up the options menu, then hit the Fish tab and you can choose which fish you want to see, select which fish you want, then hit OK.

Jim Sachs 02-01-2004 10:32 AM

Neons will school in groups of 3 (which count as 1 fish).

Tiny Turtle 02-02-2004 04:16 AM

Sorry to constantly be asking for more, Jim, – but will we be able to choose more than one trio of neons which then will form a larger school?

/Tiny Envelope-pusher

Jim Sachs 02-02-2004 08:47 AM

Maybe. I'll see how well the anti-collision algorithm works.

Tiny Turtle 02-02-2004 10:05 AM

That's good enough for me (heck, your school of three probably is just fine too).

/Tiny Confidence Boost

IXNAY 02-03-2004 03:39 PM

Nice :)
what are you currently working on Jim, are you still redoing the fish for MA?

Jim Sachs 02-03-2004 04:29 PM

Yes, still working on the darn Squarespot. I've tried several chanes to the texture, but the fish still doesn't look real to me.

The Rock Beauty, Blue-ring, and Emperor Angel turned out pretty well. The RedFin is weak.

klyntun 02-03-2004 07:38 PM

Jim,
The Square Spot is the one that I never select for my tank. I'm glad to know that you didn't design the first one. I'm sure your version will be more real. Also glad to hear the Cardinal Tetras may be able to form a larger school than just three; though three schools of three would also be fine as even in a school the fish still remain individuals and do their own thing. And what's this about a butterfly tank? I can't wait!

aiaman 02-03-2004 08:23 PM

multiple fish

yes I know that even fish are individuals but to get fish in a group or to even function as a group is the desired outcome.

I do not understand as to why there can not be more than 7 fish at any one time in the tank. The resolution or operation of the tank, as in real life, is directly related to the tank size, etc. Since my tank size is a P4 w/2.5Ghz I should have no issue in having more fish? Isn't there a way that we can select the number of fish per species? if the fish are friendly then we can have more than seven seperate fish with duplicates of chosen ones. Or provide an option to duplicate a randomly occuring number of he selected variety.

klyntun 02-03-2004 09:04 PM

I think it has something to do with collision detection, as in the fish running into and through each other. However, Jim is the one to answer this.

Jav400 02-03-2004 09:05 PM

this has been explained in another thread long ago. But alot of it has to do with the collision avoidance routines used to keep the fish from causing each other problems. Imagine a bubble around each fish that moves with each fish. No bubble can touch another one, or cause a movement that looks unreal by its presence. It takes more space than you think it does. Its not just your video card that sets the limit.

Jim Sachs 02-03-2004 10:40 PM

aiaman - If you run across a good collision-avoidance algorithm that would keep that many fish from passing through each other, let me know. As things stand now, even 7 fish can get into trouble, and pass-throughs do happen when two fish are nose-to-nose and blocked from behind by another fish.

feldon34 02-04-2004 12:49 PM

I know it won't be a popular opinion, but I do think the Squarespot Anthias looks *realistic*. That said, it's not a fish I particularly favor. I much prefer the subtlety of a Green Chromis or Honey Damsel.

ESHIREY 02-04-2004 01:36 PM

I have to agree with you . I never did care much about that one , But I did have him in, just because he was different .

Yellow Tang 02-05-2004 03:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The purple square of the current version doesn't look real to me at all. It looks painted on it.
This picture looks great (Jim can you do that?):

ESHIREY 02-05-2004 10:28 AM

wow . Look at all the colors . I like that guy a lot better .

Jim Sachs 02-05-2004 10:57 AM

That's the picture that I used to derive the latest experiment from. Because of the second light source which is illuminating the underside, it is't working very well.

feldon34 02-05-2004 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope this helps.