Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Future: Freshwater Aquarium (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   beta????? (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965)

Submariner 09-26-2003 05:19 PM

beta?????

I hate to sound so ignorant but what is this
beta or beta version that I read about?

Thanks

klyntun 09-26-2003 06:50 PM

The Goldfish Aquarium is still in development, so the version available at www.lifeglobe.com is called a "beta" version. The finished version is soon to be released ("alpha", I think). If you purchase the beta version, you can upgrade to the finished version free. The finished version will be better than the beta, though it is debatable what will be furnished in the finished version. I bought the beta, and it just keeps getting better and better.

Racer-X 09-26-2003 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by klyntun
The finished version is soon to be released ("alpha", I think).
"Alpha" versions usually come before "beta". I don't know if there is a special word used to specify a released product other than "released".

Glenn

fishbowl 09-27-2003 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Racer-X
"Alpha" versions usually come before "beta". I don't know if there is a special word used to specify a released product other than "released".

Glenn

True. In my experience Alpha versions of software always come before the Beta versions. Beta versions are generally less buggy then there Alpha counterparts.

I don't know if there is an official term used to describe a product that is ready to be released to the public, but some of the common terms used would be Stable/Final/Final Release or Version 1.0. Version 1.0 usually means the author(s) of the product usually deem it stable enough to be released to the public & consider it no longer in alpha/beta stage. Any new versions released after Version 1.0 are considered updates/totally new products.

klyntun 09-27-2003 12:07 AM

Whatever works (pun intended). ;)

Socrates 09-27-2003 12:11 AM

I always thought it was pretty much universal to use Alpha, Beta, and Gold.

MS also likes to use "Release Candidate" to lure more suckers...er...uh...people into the final beta versions. (It's actually kind of safe to assume that aything MS that does not have a SP1 yet is pretty much still in de facto beta testing. whatever they call it.) ;)

feldon34 10-02-2003 07:23 AM

Re: beta?????

Quote:

Originally posted by Submariner
I hate to sound so ignorant but what is this
beta or beta version that I read about?

Thanks

I'd like to know where you read that there's a beta of the Freshwater. Would love to read this posting/e-mail.

feldon34 10-02-2003 07:24 AM

Alpha -- missing features that will be in the final version
Beta -- feature complete but known bugs and untested features
Gamma -- release candidate; if no major bugs are found, this version will go 'Gold' and be released

And of course Jim's betas exceed the quality of most developer's final versions.

Submariner 10-02-2003 09:48 AM

I didn't read about a beta freshwater I just
meant that I read about beta versions and
posted here. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks