Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Developer Notes (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4421)

cjmaddy 01-21-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgar (Post 109460)
I forgot that in Beta mode, we use the MA2.6 registry settings.
Playlist and AltLogo will be in the install folder of MA2.6. ....

I don't understand. - In all versions upto and including 8b, we have had AltLogo.png and MA3Playlist.lst in the same folder as MA3Beta.scr

With 8e, even if I add AltLogo.png, the 'L' key still doesn't work.

Jim Sachs 01-21-2009 11:24 AM

Edgar has been experimenting with file paths. We're still deciding where to put items like logos and playlists. When the real installer is built it will probably create a folder like C:Program Files/Marine Aquarium 3, and put everything in it.

cjmaddy 01-21-2009 11:33 AM

So where do we put AltLogo.png for 8e ?

Edgar 01-21-2009 11:44 AM

There is a bug in how I appended the filepath. Hopefully will be fixed on the next build.

There will be a registry entry that will decide where the MA3 files will reside if installed by an installer.

Edgar 01-21-2009 11:47 AM

The next Beta test build will use MA26 installed folder if it was installed by an installer. It will read a registry entry, "PluginDir" to know where that installed folder is.
If that entry is not found, it will use the current directory that MA3 gets when it runs which was the case before the last 2 builds.

Jim Sachs 01-21-2009 11:59 AM

Beta 8f is now up: http://www.fish-byte.com/MA3Beta.zip

This one includes Edgar's new fix for the Website security issue.

Dale 01-21-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgar (Post 109473)
The next Beta test build will use MA26 installed folder if it was installed by an installer. It will read a registry entry, "PluginDir" to know where that installed folder is.
If that entry is not found, it will use the current directory that MA3 gets when it runs which was the case before the last 2 builds.

That's cool - but shouldn't you (now) tell us where the MA3 installer "installed folder" will be? [Of course, if the MA3 installer will use the MA26 installed folder if that exists, then OK]

And isn't there a Vista decision (about Program Files) in there, too?

So we (Beta testers) can get it right, now, rather than having to change it when the production version comes out?

[And, of course, so that the Beta testers can test whether it works right).

Edgar 01-21-2009 12:04 PM

MA3 installer will use its own folder.
I can't tell you right now since I don't even know where that folder is, that is why it is in the registry entry. We won't know until it is installed.

Eventually, the plan is to have a folder per user instead of per machine.

Dale 01-21-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 109465)
Edgar has been experimenting with file paths. We're still deciding where to put items like logos and playlists. When the real installer is built it will probably create a folder like C:Program Files/Marine Aquarium 3, and put everything in it.

Opinion: that is a key decision.

With Vista, putting things in C:/Program Files/ carries advantages and disadvantages. Sometimes big disadvantages.

A careful and thoughtful decision needs to be made - including considerations of Vista UAC, as well as "per-user settings" for MA3, registry considerations, etc.

Dale 01-21-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgar (Post 109477)
MA3 installer will use its own folder.
I can't tell you right now since I don't even know where that folder is, that is why it is in the registry entry. We won't know until it is installed.

Eventually, the plan is to have a folder per user instead of per machine.

Apologies for multiple, overlapping posts.

"the plan is to have a folder per user"

So, if I'm reading that correctly, MA3 will have a different installation folder per user? Meaning that MA3 will have to be installed multiple times (once for each user)?

"MA3 installer will use its own folder.
I can't tell you right now since I don't even know where that folder is, that is why it is in the registry entry. We won't know until it is installed."

Sorry, I'm confused by that statement.

I understand that it's a lot more fun to write code. However, some fundamental decisions about top-level design might prevent a lot of re-design or re-coding later.

Perhaps you've already done that, and I'm just confused by (or am personally unable to correctly parse) the explanation. If so, I again apologize.

Jim Sachs 01-21-2009 12:29 PM

Yes, the decisions are important. Those of us sitting around writing code have very limited systems which are tailor-made to writing and compiling code. That's why we're trying different ideas, and getting comments and opinions from you guys with a wide variety of systems.

Edgar 01-21-2009 12:31 PM

When people install software, they have the choice where to install. It is not always Program Files.
The folder per user is later because of the exactly that problem of having to install per user. Until we figure out a simple method to have their own folder without reinstalling per user, the current method will be in place.

cjmaddy 01-21-2009 12:32 PM

'Meaningless error message', now fixed in 8f. Thanks! (I run in Win2k BTW, not Vista! - Just to set the record straight, this bug was not confined to Vista only!) - However, to save any confusion, is it correct that until a future update, there will be no alternate logo possible in the current versions of '8'? - ie, the 'L' key is not currently functioning?

Edgar 01-21-2009 12:38 PM

Cliff,
I think you have MA26 installed so try putting the alternate log in the MA26 install folder. Then it will work.

I am glad the website button works on your Win2K. That was a platform we needed to test.

Nicki 01-21-2009 12:53 PM

Website button working for me with XP and 8f , and logo too .

cjmaddy 01-21-2009 12:55 PM

Done! .... It would have saved a lot of confusion if someone had clearly said that that is where we must now move AltLogo.png to!

Jim Sachs 01-21-2009 12:59 PM

We didn't actually know it until we started looking into the problem.

Edgar 01-21-2009 01:05 PM

When MA3 with installer version comes, the folder will change again to the installed folder of MA3.

Dale 01-21-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgar (Post 109482)
When people install software, they have the choice where to install. It is not always Program Files.
The folder per user is later because of the exactly that problem of having to install per user. Until we figure out a simple method to have their own folder without reinstalling per user, the current method will be in place.

OK. If I may suggest:

Default for "per system" stuff == folder in wherever the "Program Files" is defined for that system (usually but not always C:\Program Files\whatever-you-pick.

REQUIRED per user (created the first time MA3 is run by that user) == folder in wherever "My Documents" is defined for that user. (often BUT OFTEN NOT C:\Documents and Settings\User Account Name\My Documents

Note that this would be a REQUIRED folder location.

Folder for "changeable system defaults" == C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\My Documents (actually, should probably be wherever "My Documents" is defined for the default user)

For Vista, substitute "Users" for "Documents and Settings" above. But the important point is that there are easy (symbolic) ways to determine where "Program Files" and individual "My Documents" folders are located.

In general, Windows will take care of changes, if you properly use logical symbols (called by various things: junction points, symbolic links (in Vista), etc.). With Vista, things like "My Documents" can be located on network drives. And users can move them, so you don't want to be tied to specific coding.

I'm sure you know all of that, so pardon my suggestion. I tried to be brief (therefore incomplete), and there are lots of other viable alternatives.

HTH

Edgar 01-21-2009 01:09 PM

The other problem that we have to think of is the uninstalling of the screensaver. Just using the User folder makes it more difficult to remove all the files that is created by MA3. Like I said, this will require a deeper study of the situation.
There is also the habit of Windows changing the rules for each new version. That is another headache to think about.