Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Configuration issue with MA3 under Windows 8.1 (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21341)

Splashy 10-31-2013 01:01 PM

Configuration issue with MA3 under Windows 8.1

I updated my Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and now MA3 doesn't work.
When launched I can hear the sound but there's a black flickering screen and then MA3 exits after several seconds.
Is there anyone here that has it working with Windows 8.1?
Your help would be appreciated.
TIA.

Jim Sachs 10-31-2013 09:28 PM

I don't know anyone who's tried 8.1 yet, but maybe it requires an update to the video drivers.

Nicki 10-31-2013 10:08 PM

From what I've heard, DON'T update to 8.1. It's fraught with problems. Last weekend I tried Internet Explorer 11 which I believe comes with 8.1 ignoring all the advice online not to go there. This was on my W7 laptop of course. IE 11 is terrible. Nothing works properly.

And then there's my brother's experience. He bought a W8 laptop 2 weeks ago. Within 24 hours the hard drive was dead due to a forced BIOS update. He took it back for a refund. 4 days later he bought another W8 laptop. Catastrophic failure on the second day requiring a factory reset. Catastrophic failure on the 4th day requiring a factory reset. W8 seems really fragile.

cjmaddy 11-01-2013 02:09 AM

I can second that. - I was recommended, (foolishly), to update to IE 11. It was a disaster! - I eventually got things back to normal with IE 9.

I would keep away from IE 11 at all costs, - and personally I would also avoid Windows 8, if at all possible.

Splashy 11-01-2013 06:18 AM

My GPU's drivers are updated.
As for Windows 8, my experience has been good, I don't use Internet Explorer, I mostly use Firefox, and sometimes Chrome.

Splashy 11-01-2013 07:08 AM

Good news, I went to the screen savers panel on Windows 8.1, configured MA3's settings and it works now.

Jim Sachs 11-01-2013 08:34 AM

That's great news, Splashy.

feldon34 11-01-2013 11:57 AM

Changed thread title since MA3 clearly does work under Windows 8.1. ;)

jimkraz 11-02-2013 08:59 AM

I have run MA3 under preview 8.1 and now 8.1, all my programs have worked no problem, I run Links Golf 2003, a ten year old game, runs better than ever, I have never had a problem under Windows 8, 8.1 preview or Windows 8.1 RTM, I also have a surface tablet which has run as sweet as a nut since the day I took it out of the box, and I ran the 8.1 preview on that too, the update to 8.1 RTM went fine, no problems, Windows 8.1, in my opinion, is the best yet, I know there are a lot of people who don't like it, but to say it is "fragile" is utter nonsense, I look after 12 family computers, 8 of these Windows 8.1, and never a problem, I put in MA3, did nothing in settings, run great, as usual. Jim

hclarkjr 11-02-2013 10:52 AM

i am running it under windows 8.1 with no trouble at all. 8.1 is not " fraught with troubles " like is mentioned. far from it in fact, people bash it because it is somethng different instead of trying for themselves.

Nicki 11-07-2013 08:33 PM

As a matter of fact I do like Windows 8 and would never be so shallow to judge something before trying it just because it is different. I was simply reporting facts from mine and my brother's experiences as well as what I had read online (which I always take with a pinch of salt). My experience has differed from other people's but that does not invalidate it. After some initial hurdles our Windows 8 laptop seems to be running perfectly. Would I buy a Windows 8 computer for myself? Yes. Would I wholeheartedly recommend a friend to buy one? Not quite there yet.