Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Flickering sunlight effect through water on migraine sufferers (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4879)

guppy 04-24-2009 03:36 AM

Flickering sunlight effect through water on migraine sufferers

Just upgraded to Aquarium 3 and it's still the best one yet.
Unfortunately I suffer from migraine attacks brought on by flickering florescent and strobe lighting and immediately have a problem with this version with the flickering sun light effect through the water.
Am I the only one? Can I turn this off?

Jav400 04-24-2009 06:03 AM

guppy,

It sounds like you are talking about the lightplay that is going over the interior of the tank. So far in almost 10 years of being here and running this forum with Morgan that is the first time I have heard of anyone saying that.

The lightplay is one of the things that has always made Jim's work standout from the rest. Unfortunately, there is no way to "turn it off." I'm not sure Jim has ever considered this aspect before.

harris 04-24-2009 06:54 AM

The "lightplay" doesn't cause headachs for me, but there is a very noticable increase in the effect (intensified) since version 2.6. Maybe in the future Jim could add a "lightplay" intensity adjustment in the options menu. Perhaps this could be another "wish list" addition? :silent: :D

Yellow Tang 04-24-2009 09:51 AM

Yes, I did also notice the increased strength in the lightplay right at the first time I started version 3 (compared to the previous version 2.6). A slider in the options would be great!

rctneil 04-24-2009 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow Tang (Post 112898)
A slider in the options would be great!

Agreed!

Ralph 04-24-2009 08:06 PM

Evidently flickering lights can bring on a epileptic attack.. http://www.bcepilepsy.com/files/PDF/Triggers.pdf

Not so sure Jim needs to program for every ailment known to man... but if a slider to control the intensity is "easy"... and in his spare time.....:D

harris 04-25-2009 08:46 PM

Ralph,

Although reducing the "lightplay" effect (version 2.6 was perfect) would as you say reduce or eliminate guppy's ailment, it would also be an aesthetic enhancement that all of us would benefit from. ;)

Ralph 04-25-2009 10:31 PM

I agree.. and personally think the light play is too aggressive myself.. but in my attempt at sarcastic wit....Jim has been trying to please everyone, too much me thinks.

These "features", noble as they are, introduce bugs that then demand time to resolve.....all at the expense of time spent expressing his artistic magic.

Jim Sachs 04-26-2009 11:29 AM

It's near the bottom of a very long list.

Yellow Tang 04-27-2009 10:08 AM

This is great news!
I thought it is at the bottom of a very long list. :D

Ralph 04-27-2009 12:14 PM

Hmmmm I wonder what feature has the honor of being at very bottom of this very long list... or perhaps.. the bottom is somewhat like the bottom of a swamp:D... not easily defined

Jim Sachs 04-27-2009 12:32 PM

Yes, the bottom is very murky. It's hard to tell what's at the bottom, and what's past the bottom - into the realm of mermaids and sea serpents.

Jav400 04-27-2009 12:34 PM

Hehe,

Reminds me of old time maps........

"Passed here there be monsters" :)

Dale 04-27-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph (Post 112988)
Hmmmm I wonder what feature has the honor of being at very bottom of this very long list... or perhaps.. the bottom is somewhat like the bottom of a swamp:D... not easily defined

I'm betting on "documentation".

vochore 04-27-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 112990)
Yes, the bottom is very murky. It's hard to tell what's at the bottom, and what's past the bottom - into the realm of mermaids and sea serpents.

so there is a small chance of getting mermaids and sea serpents then ;)

harris 04-27-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 112990)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vochore (Post 112999)
so there is a small chance of getting mermaids and sea serpents then ;)

It sounds like the beginning of a great "Creature Pack" :silent: :)

Just kidding...

Jim Sachs 04-27-2009 03:23 PM

Those were examples of items which are past the bottom. Way past.

BUZZIN_NICE 04-28-2009 09:21 AM

i agree with what has been said but in terms of the intensity of it would a slider be required for the speed of the feature or the actual visability of it or both?

guppy 04-29-2009 05:44 AM

A slider would help

I've had previous versions of Aquarium and the "lightplay" has never bothered me in the past. The intensity is now much higher than before, so looks like this is the problem. A slider would certainly help me . . .

Ralph 04-29-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 112998)
I'm betting on "documentation".

Given that this is a subject all of us are keen on.. and that Jim is working on features that "sell"

What about "us" making a document section... Morgan or Jav could eventually add it to the heading bar of this forum.. "settings; Arcade; Calendar... Documentation; Members;... etc.

Clicking on "Documents" could open into a web page kind of thingme where there would be info on.. active keys.. registry hacks..coral types.. how to make and use alternate logo images..

Any thoughts...:loco: