Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sharks: Terrors of the Deep (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Slight glitch found (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2444)

Jav400 06-15-2004 08:20 PM

Slight glitch found

Edgar,

This is a very slight glitch and probably doesn't affect many people. I have been sitting watching sharks in 3d using my shutter glasses, and have found a slight problem for viewing in stereo 3d. I'm not sure if this is how you would explain it, but here it goes.

Set up:
The best analogy I can come up with is that the front limit of the tank is slightly off. I am assuming that programing sets a front limit and a back limit for the depth to be used. I have seen 3d images work in several different ways. The test stereo image that comes with the nvidia stereo drivers looks like it is coming out of the front of the screen and floating in air. Since I have IR glasses as well as wired glasses I can stand all the way across the room and look if I wish. The farther away I stand, the farther it looks like the image is coming out of the screen. Jim's aquarium on the other hand looks like it goes deeper into the screen and doesn't have fish floating in the air at all, so I assume he set a limit to keep this from happening.

Problem:
In watching sharks, when one swims directly towards the front of the screen and grows larger and larger at the very end when it is at its largest it looks like it is sticking ever so slightly out of the front of the screen for a few seconds and then it "snaps" back and turns in a different direction and either reverses course or swims to one side or the other and leaves the screen momentarily. That "snap" is very noticable, like someone jerked it back by its tail. So I am guessing that the front limit is slightly off from what should be allowed. I'm not sure how important this is in the "grand scheme" of things, if you are considering stereo 3d as part of the product options or just a "bonus" so to speak. But if you are considering it, it needs looking into. :)

Addition:
As far as stereo 3d goes, if you are considering it in your product line, I would like a check box to allow sharks to swim out from the screen a short amount. Not enough to make it look totally unreal or stupid, but just enough to get a true outwards 3d effect. To keep problems like this from happening, I would suggest that any fish past the "front line" of the screen if the box is checked be forced to reverse course and swim back behind the "front line" before turning off the screen. It might be a draw that brings attention to your screen saver over others, because I can't think of any that market "true stereo 3d" along with their product.

Just a thought. :)

FYI:
For whats its worth, sharks looks pretty good in 3D. :)

Edgar 06-16-2004 08:08 AM

Stereo 3D is just a bonus for now. We really did not think what it would look like in Stereo 3D.

By the way, there is Sharks MD available if you want to run it in letterbox mode or multi monitor. Note that there is no extra art made yet just for widescreen so the view will be the smaller area of the background.

drfish 06-16-2004 08:16 AM

I haven't been following sharks too much, so the fact that there's a MD version it a total surprise to me! Where can you get it?

Is the widescreen GA coming anytime soon?

cjmaddy 06-16-2004 10:17 AM

Ctrl-W has always been there, - hasn't it?

drfish 06-16-2004 11:30 AM

In which one? I actually haven't bought Sharks yet... If it can do widescreen I probably would though because the living room could use a water change... Though I'd rather have widescreen goldfish...

cjmaddy 06-16-2004 11:45 AM

Sorry, - hadn't realised you had mentioned GA also! ..... Sharks has [Ctrl]=[W] for wide mode, but as Edgar has pointed out, it's widescreen view is only a smaller area of the background.

drfish 06-16-2004 11:48 AM

So Sharks MD really only adds multi-monitor then?

feldon34 06-16-2004 03:09 PM

MD = Multi-Display

drfish 06-16-2004 05:38 PM

Right, but MA2/MD merged the widescreen and added the MD... Since I didn't know sharks had widescreen from the beginning I wanted to make sure...

cjmaddy 06-16-2004 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go, .......... Sharks [Ctrl]+[W] :)

Tiny Turtle 06-17-2004 01:01 AM

Um, so what does "Open Water" look like in wide mode? :dunce:

Jav400 06-17-2004 05:42 AM

Saints preserve us.

cjmaddy 06-17-2004 09:56 AM

Don't worry Michael, - I've resisted the temptation! :)

I have an appointment with England now! :rolleyes: - must dash!

Wizwad 07-06-2004 05:19 PM

Sniffle. Ctrl + W doesn't seem to work with my copy. I downloaded it from the Lifeglobe site a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed to find that nothing seemed to have changed since the beta except that Ctrl + W was missing! As my laptop is now widescreen (res 1440 x 900) that's very sad!

Edgar 07-07-2004 03:27 AM

Try downloading the MD version of Sharks:Terros of the Deep here. Scroll to the bottom.

Wizwad 07-07-2004 01:42 PM

Wahay! Sorted! Thanks Edgar.

Is there any news on any updates to come? Anything we can look forward to "soon"? :D

Edgar 07-07-2004 05:10 PM

We are planning to be improving version 1.0 soon. We are used the list of features accumulated from this forum and prioritized it. When depends on other projects that we are working on.

As usual it is hard to estimate these things.

Digital Lungfish 07-08-2004 12:08 AM

Quote:

Um, so what does "Open Water" look like in wide mode?
Quite the belated response by me and Tiny was almost certainly joking, but for anyone that hasn't seen Sharks in wide screen format, see a picture I posted a while back here -> Sharks in Wide Screen Mode