Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Letterbox and A Few Days Off (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4702)

harris 01-01-2009 07:30 AM

Letterbox and A Few Days Off

I'm not sure which tread this question should be asked in as the "MA3 comments" thread hasn't been active for almost a month, and there are so many other threads it's a little confusing. I'll try here first.

I searched and could not find any discussion about this. I do not use multi-monitors and still use a 4.3 ratio CRT monitor. Will the final version of MA3 have a widescreen capability (using black bars) on a 4.3 monitor like version 2.6 has?

I really miss seeing most of MA3's fantastic background without having to use the panning option. I've been a registered user since the .99 days and it has been very interesting and enjoyable to watch its development through the years.

Thanks.

P.S. Happy New Year!

cjmaddy 01-01-2009 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
harris,

I think I can safely say that there won't be an option to see the full width as in 2.6. - The problem is that MA3 is so wide!

You can recreate the effect of seeing the full width by changing to windowed mode, then sizing the window to full screen width and adjusting the height until the whole of MA3 is visible. - The window size will be remembered, and you can also choose the 'Start In Windowed Mode' from the settings panel. - That way you may have what you are looking for! - But it will be a very small, (in height), MA3!

.............. Happy New Year! ... Everyone!

ps, ... Perhaps a compromise is the answer? - something like this...

harris 01-01-2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjmaddy (Post 108917)
harris,

I think I can safely say that there won't be an option to see the full width as in 2.6. - The problem is that MA3 is so wide!

You can recreate the effect of seeing the full width by changing to windowed mode, then sizing the window to full screen width and adjusting the height until the whole of MA3 is visible. - The window size will be remembered, and you can also choose the 'Start In Windowed Mode' from the settings panel. - That way you may have what you are looking for! - But it will be a very small, (in height), MA3!

.............. Happy New Year! ... Everyone!

ps, ... Perhaps a compromise is the answer? - something like this...

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that causes the effect Jim dreads - desktop icons appearing with his masterpiece! It destroys the perception of realism that he tries so hard to maintain.

Oh, well. Maybe this will cause me to buy a widesceen display. :)

harris 01-01-2009 02:15 PM

Jim;

Thank you for being so understanding. I feel bad for lengthening the wish list, but it will be a nice feature for those of us dinosaurs still using a 4.3 ratio monitor.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year!

Dale 01-01-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harris (Post 108919)
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately that causes the effect Jim dreads - desktop icons appearing with his masterpiece! It destroys the perception of realism that he tries so hard to maintain.

Dread may be eliminated - just don't produce anything.

A scientist or engineer invents something, but after it's produced, has no control over how it is used.

An artist creates something, but after it's legitimately copied, has no control over how or where they are used.

Consider "Mona Lisa" or "Scream".

Jim Sachs 01-01-2009 03:36 PM

Those works are by dead artists whose works are in the public domain. A copyright holder has a lot of control over how his creation is used. Just try opening a pre-school with Micky Mouse as its logo.

Dale 01-01-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 108942)
Those works are by dead artists whose works are in the public domain. A copyright holder has a lot of control over how his creation is used. Just try opening a pre-school with Micky Mouse as its logo.

Sure. But the pre-school can legally hang purchased Mickey merchandise. I just saw a Disney-licensed "baby changing pad" with Mickeys on it - and if someone buys one, they can do whatever they want with it.

I can buy Disney-licensed computer "wallpaper". Could Disney prevent me from running it, if I have a bunch of icons on my screen?

How much control do you have over where MA2.6 is run? Can you prevent a licensed copy from being used in a Nevada "ranch"? Can you prevent someone from adding an obscene logo?

It's possible to grab a screen-shot of MA, and use it as computer "wallpaper". Perhaps that's contrary to the license? But you can't prevent it. If somebody figures out how to use MA3 as Vista DreamScene, you can't prevent it.

I understand your artistic objection to having MA "corrupted" (pick your own words) by having icons pasted on it, or whatever else might change the really great results of your years of work.

My point was, that after you sell something, you have very little control over how the purchaser uses it. If the purchaser finds a "misuse" that you never envisioned, and that you don't like -- nothing practical can be done.

So, do great art, release it to appreciative fans, and don't worry about the results.

harris 01-01-2009 06:39 PM

:(

Jim Sachs 01-01-2009 06:47 PM

I'm taking a couple of days off.

feldon34 01-01-2009 07:52 PM

Good job Dale.

Tiny Turtle 01-01-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon32 (Post 108950)
Good job Dale.

I was thinking the same.

feldon34 01-01-2009 09:26 PM

I think Dale thinks this is the customer service department and he can just say anything he wants and the service rep is just supposed to take it.

Dale 01-01-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon32 (Post 108955)
I think Dale thinks this is the customer service department and he can just say anything he wants and the service rep is just supposed to take it.

I thought this was a forum. SereneScreen Forum > > Marine Aquarium 3 Beta Test Forum. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum

I think I should speak the truth, and/or state my opinion (clearly identified as opinion).

If I do otherwise, please tell me.

I thought this was a place for discussion of issues pertaining to MA3. If discussion is not allowed, please tell me.

If I have presented a truth, and that hurts, ......... in my opinion, it's better to discuss the truth, than to ignore it.

Note: I did not mistake this for the customer service department.

Oh, and my intended point was that Jim should just continue satisfying himself as an artist, without worrying about how people will view or display his art.

feldon34 01-01-2009 10:40 PM

You will find that you do not have a unique license on the truth.

Dale 01-01-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon32 (Post 108957)
Are you prepared for the truth to flow both ways?

I believe so, but I might be mistaken.

Note that a previous criticism in this forum (as I recall, by you), resulted in me dropping a subject totally.

I recognize the truth that this is your forum, and you can kick me off at any time.

Dale 01-01-2009 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon32 (Post 108957)
You will find that you do not have a unique license on the truth.

Huh?

patscarr 01-02-2009 08:14 AM

Don't worry about it, Dale. I think Jim was just joking about taking a couple days off.

Dale 01-02-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patscarr (Post 108963)
Don't worry about it, Dale. I think Jim was just joking about taking a couple days off.

Hey, if anybody deserves to take some time off, it's Jim. It seems to me that he has been working at least 12+ hours, 7 days per week, on MA3. And doing it out here where everybody can watch (but not see the difficulties).

And in his spare time, discussing things with us.

But I did not take Jim's comment negatively.

Thanks.

Mith 01-04-2009 02:27 AM

(Mith walks around to each member and slaps the back of their head)

Enough! lol

Nicki 01-04-2009 11:14 AM

I agree with Mith . It seems Jim has the patience of a saint , but even saints have their breaking point . We should always treat him with the utmost respect .