Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Future: Freshwater Aquarium (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Freshwater aquarium water filters (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1298)

winset 02-27-2003 07:17 PM

Freshwater aquarium water filters

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I wonder id a water filter will be visible in the freshwater aquarium. It seems like every one I have owned had one either inside the tank or outside. Also, I love the bubble sound feature and wonder if it would be realistic to have a seperate "filtration" sound made by the pump. It is unmistakable and perhaps a slight sound of it in the background will ad to the reality. What do you guys think?

memilm 02-28-2003 12:28 AM

Perhaps as an option to enable or disable it, like the treasure chest...

Jav400 02-28-2003 05:38 AM

The filtration system was something that I always HAD to deal with, but I would have prefered to not have it if possible. I do like the sound and the bubbles, but I don't think I would like seeing the rest of it. Thats just my opinion though.

Tiny Turtle 02-28-2003 06:20 AM

I'm with Mr. Javelin 400 on this one.

/Tiny Too

winset 02-28-2003 08:48 AM

:compute: hmmmm....I think the audio would be a great touch for added reality though. Thanks for your thoughts :)

cjmaddy 02-28-2003 11:42 AM

Sorry winset, that sounds a very strange request to me! - I've had many freshwater tanks in the past, and always did my best to hide everything. I always had under gravel filters, and I think the best pumps were Zoobeco (or something like that), - because they were the quietest, and in addition, I stood the pump on foam rubber! (out of sight of course) - The result was no visible filter, and no pump noise! :TU:

There is enough noise from the computer fans etc. - I wouldn't like to add the hum/buzz of a pump, - sorry! :(
I do like bubble sounds though! :)

feldon34 02-28-2003 02:36 PM

Actually, I e-mailed Jim about this about 3 weeks after I first got into the Aquarium. I'd hoped that the humming noise of the water pump/filtration could be integrated into the Aquarium. Maybe some day. :) Little splashing sounds and that humming/droning to go with the bubbles would bump the realism for me.

Also I have to say that the bubble sound right now is scarily relaxing. Maybe Michael should try it with the sound turned up. I know I just about end up face-first on the keyboard after 5 minutes of listening to it.

IXNAY 03-01-2003 06:42 AM

When I had a freshwatertank, I tried to hide it too. If I had the possiblity I had put it outside of the tank. So I don't want it in the screensaver, maybe sound are ok if you can switch them off.

Jim Sachs 03-01-2003 11:18 AM

Just put your ear near the computer. It sounds about like the pump motor would :)

IXNAY 03-01-2003 11:30 AM

Haha thats good :D my computer is as loud as a 747, I hate it :D

feldon34 03-01-2003 02:19 PM

IXNAY,

There are dozens of types of case fan, CPU fan, video card fan, etc. to choose from. You can spend $150 just on fans for 1 PC.

I filed the fan given to me for this PC in a drawer and used an older, quieter fan. It runs a bit warmer but I can sleep in the same room with this PC.

IXNAY 03-04-2003 10:48 AM

Well I don't want to spend money for new vans, I don't like the noise but beer is better than new vans :D

You can buy a lot of other things for 150$, it's the same with that people who make a disco out of their PC Tower. It's so expensive.
A: I don't like it
B: why?
A: because it's not mine :D

feldon34 03-04-2003 02:14 PM

Looks like you've spent plenty on beer. :)

cjmaddy 03-04-2003 03:40 PM

I hope you don't try to drive that van whilst you're in that state! ;) ;)

Tiny Turtle 03-04-2003 04:08 PM

Sorry Ixnay, Those poor English people don't know about the German pronounciation of "v" – that's why they can't say "van Beethoven" and such in a proper way... :)

/Tiny Deutsch

cjmaddy 03-04-2003 05:22 PM

Ah ..... German! ......... Now what was it Basil Fawlty said ? ;);)

Digital Lungfish 03-05-2003 12:17 AM

Count me in, my vote is for no "visible" filtration hardware. I agree that all it should have is the sound for bubbles, water splashes (if any), and maybe the humming of the pump.

Another nice addition this time around would be to have a toggle for users to be able to select either a bubble column or bubble wall. I requested this for the SSA earlier on in it's life, but Jim opted not to include it, how about this time Jim?

Tiny Turtle 03-05-2003 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by cjmaddy
. . . Now what was it Basil Fawlty said ? ;);)
I'll ruin you! You'll never waitress in Torquay again!

/Tiny Basil

Jim Sachs 03-05-2003 10:12 AM

Jav - In experimenting with a "bubble wall", I've found it to be a huge resource-eater. Filling the entire screen with polygons can easily cut the frame rate in half.

IXNAY 03-05-2003 10:15 AM

hehe make bubbles of one triangel :D maybe this helps *g*