Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   M, B, and P keys - suggested behavior (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5352)

Dale 05-16-2010 11:33 AM

M, B, and P keys - suggested behavior

In looking at consistence of behavior for stuff in the "About" panel:

I suggest that the effect of the M, B, and P keys be temporary (per execution).

Those keys currently result in a permanent change being saved, for settings in the Program Settings panel. That's different from most other things in "About".

Footnote: label for "B" should be "Bubble Sound on/off"

Footnote 2: I apologize for multiple threads - but they are slightly different topics, and I'm doing "incremental discovery".

Footnoet 3: Yes, Jim, I do suspect that this would probably be a more complex change than it might appear to some folks.

Jim Sachs 05-16-2010 11:57 AM

The reason I made these permanent is that some people hate one or more of those items so much that they want to permanently disable them with one keystroke, then never have to deal with them again. Yet the features have to default to ON the first time the program is ever started, or many people wouldn't even know they were available.

Change made to bubble sound On/Off.

Dale 05-16-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Sachs (Post 121575)
The reason I made these permanent is that some people hate one or more of those items so much that they want to permanently disable them with one keystroke, then never have to deal with them again. Yet the features have to default to ON the first time the program is ever started, or many people wouldn't even know they were available.

Jim, they can't be disabled with one keystroke. Here's what it takes:

0. Find out how to get to the settings screen - assume....
1. Press space
2. Click About - and read.
3. Click Cancel
4. Click OK
5. Press M, B, P

After step 1 above, it's easier and faster to satisfy hate by:

2. Click "Program Settings"
3. Uncheck 3 boxes (same effort as 5. above)
4. Click OK Twice.

Well, OK - it's the same number of "keystrokes". But my thinking was:

A. It's inconsistent. For instance, why wouldn't "W", "F", "S" work the same way? [Although I do see the "F2" seems to be "permanent"]

B. If it's a "permanent" change, then the legend needs tweaking. For instance: "Pause Automatic Scrolling" should be "Permanently Pause Automatic Scrolling" - or "Automatic Scrolling On/Off" or something.

C. Ideally, from a user interface perspective, a "permanent toggle" should have its current setting displayed. That would apply to the "About" screen, in this case. [The "Program Settings" screen of course displays that information]

The largest consideration, in my opinion, is that key behavior should be consistent. That's (in my opinion) particularly important because of (shortage of) documentation.

But - in the scheme of things like background colors, it's not a big deal. Let's see what other folks think.

Jim Sachs 05-16-2010 01:13 PM

Sure thay can be disabled with one keystroke:

Cliff starts the program for the first time.
Cliff hits M.
Cliff never has to listen to music again, as I promised him.

feldon34 05-16-2010 03:29 PM

Customers contact us by e-mail asking how to disable those items permanently. Being able to tell them one key to press (and never again) makes answering these e-mails quick.

Dale 05-16-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon34 (Post 121592)
Customers contact us by e-mail asking how to disable those items permanently. Being able to tell them one key to press (and never again) makes answering these e-mails quick.

I do appreciate that enabling customer service to give quick answers, is a big plus for those who are answering the e-mail.

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime”

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon34 (Post 121591)
Most users aren't even aware of the keyboard shortcuts and just let the Aquarium run at default settings. Most users have never even seen the Settings panel..

Does tech support (customer service) take the time to tell the users about any of that stuff, like how to get to the settings panel?

feldon34 05-16-2010 11:47 PM

It's in the Help file, but I don't think this information is imparted in the installation or order receipt e-mails that go out.

JohnWho 05-17-2010 07:18 AM

It is in the "readme.txt" file that I have.

Dale 05-17-2010 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon34 (Post 121603)
It's in the Help file, but I don't think this information is imparted in the installation or order receipt e-mails that go out.

Where do I find the Help file? (It's certainly not accessed by pressing F1)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWho (Post 121606)
It is in the "readme.txt" file that I have.

How would the normal user find the readme.txt file?

JohnWho 05-17-2010 02:47 PM

I can't recall exactly, but isn't viewing the "readme" file an option at the end of the installation process?

If so, then the readme file is no more difficult to find on a system than any other program's readme file.

Dale 05-17-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWho (Post 121621)
I can't recall exactly,

JohnWho 05-17-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale (Post 121623)

Hey Dale -

are you having your "period"?

:lol:

Dale 05-17-2010 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWho (Post 121625)
Hey Dale -

are you having your "period"?

:lol:

No, I've had a hystericallectomy. :) I was just glad you got my "point".

Wizwad 05-18-2010 05:30 AM

You're all dotty.

Dale 05-18-2010 10:13 AM

Apparent decision by Jim: no change to current behavior.

cjmaddy 05-18-2010 10:31 AM

Good.

Dale 05-20-2010 02:54 PM

Just for the record:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWho (Post 121621)
I can't recall exactly, but isn't viewing the "readme" file an option at the end of the installation process?

Apparently not.

I took a test system (W7-64 if it matters), uninstalled MA3, used Regedit to remove all mentions of SereneScreen from the registry.

Rebooted to make sure, verified that there was nothing in the Programs, or in my Appdata.

Downloaded a fresh copy of the .exe from SereneScreen.com, and installed it.

It did require me to enter my registration code (presumably demonstrating that it was a fresh install).

There was no display of the readme.txt file, and no question asking if I wanted to see it, nor any indication of where it might be found.

JohnWho 05-20-2010 03:16 PM

Ah, thanks for doing that. Many "installs" have that option to open/read the readme file.

Don't know if it is possible, but perhaps it should be suggested to Prolific that they add that feature to their installation procedure?

Dale 05-20-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnWho (Post 121740)
Ah, thanks for doing that.

Glad to help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon34 (Post 121733)
Dale does not have a patent on testing ...

As he said, anybody could have done it.