Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Jim, where do we go from here! (Redux) (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7661)

nicksteel 12-29-2010 06:50 PM

Could you send an URL of a 3D Utube video that works ok?

I may can mimic the codec, etc.

Jim Sachs 12-29-2010 08:53 PM

I just got off the phone with Will and Edgar from Prolific. They will modify a version of MA3 to save left-eye, right-eye streams with no missed frames.

nicksteel 12-29-2010 09:06 PM

Way to go!

Lots better than patching and you should also be able to post a working trailer on Utube.

nicksteel 12-29-2010 09:57 PM

And do let us know how you capture and build the DVD.

Jim Sachs 12-30-2010 02:12 AM

Will do. I found a free 3D Blu-Ray encoder (MVC) from Nokia. It runs from a Command Line Interface only, with MANY variables and no instructions, but the price is right.

At the moment, Edgar and Will are modifying the MA3 code to allow me to set a frame rate and left-right eyepoint offset. When Capture is activated, the program will save a series of raw, bmp, or tga frames to a file. The frame rate will be allowed to go as low as 24, but I'll run it at 3 or 4 times that, then combine the stills to simulate motion blur at 24fps, just like movies do.

Jim Sachs 12-30-2010 10:13 PM

Update: Edgar has completed the frame-capture utility for MA3. There are still several things I need to change in the source code, but it DOES work. I can set the desired frame rate and output sequential BMP pictures to a hard drive. The utility stops the clock as it switches the viewpoint and saves the file, so no frames are lost. Of course, as uncompressed bitmaps, these files are huge. Each frame (left-eye / right-eye pair) is 10 megs. So, I went to Costco and bought a 2-terabyte external hard drive to hold all those bytes (only $99).

Racer57 01-13-2011 04:15 PM

Jim, are your spirits not bouyed up at all by Verizons announcement? You know analysts predict sales this year of 13 million new IPhone users.

Jim Sachs 01-13-2011 06:50 PM

It couldn't hurt. We've tuned up the Aquarium to look very good on the hi-def iPhone4 screen, plus we've got Japanese and German menus, in addition to English. The majority of our sales are coming from Japan. Germany seems not to have noticed our efforts on their behalf.

Personally, I've been very happy with my AT&T iPhone. Signal strength is great here, which was never the case with other carriers.

Spottedfeather 01-15-2011 03:32 AM

I'd love to see some choice in creatres. Jellyfish, sharks, sea turtles, moving anenomes, a diver and castle, and a treasure chest that opens and closes with bubbles would be great.

Wizwad 01-15-2011 07:25 PM

Spottedfeather,
You'd have to go to LifeGlobe for sharks. The treasure chest may make an appearance should Jim ever bring his Freshwater Aquarium to completion. For turtles, divers and castles, I'm afraid you'll have to look elsewhere. If you check out the Off Topic section of the forum, under the Other Screensavers subforum, you'll find a number there which should address your needs. Just not all wrapped up in a tidy package.

davethegecko 01-30-2011 06:38 PM

For what it's worth, Jim, I've been a *huge* fan of your work for years. I support the drive towards packaging a 3D version of your aquarium with the new screens. Makes sense to me. Best of luck!

davethegecko 01-30-2011 06:43 PM

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, a convincing virtual marine aquarium will be one of the *best* tools for solving the problem of commercial reef depopulation. Go JIM! Maybe someday we'll even be able to place our coral and critters wherever we like. Just like a real tank, except even larger than life, because we'll have it on our 50"+ 3D-TVs!

Jim Sachs 01-30-2011 10:22 PM

We've been looking into the idea of donating 10% of sales to reef-preservation causes.

ESHIREY 02-04-2011 01:15 PM

Sounds like a plan.

Ralph 02-04-2011 09:00 PM

Not sure if this link will work.. but if it does, an alternative to 3D without glasses.
http://windowssecrets.com/2011/02/03..._campaign=2578

I am pretty sure it would give me a headache though:)

cjmaddy 02-05-2011 03:36 AM

To miss-quote John McEnroe.... 'He cannot be serious' ... :)

Wizwad 02-05-2011 08:17 AM

Can anybody say "Mad scientist"? :eek::eek::eek:

bozpool 02-05-2011 08:21 AM

Nintendo may nail it:Nintendo Introduces Glasses-Free 3D Gaming

ESHIREY 02-05-2011 09:45 AM

That was one of the dumbest things I have ever seen. As for the 3ds, I plan on getting it when it gets out. A friend of mine was at E3 and saw it in person and said it was great. Small but great.

sunny 02-05-2011 10:49 PM

i nearly falloff my chair laughing when i saw the guy eye's blinking at that fast rate. hmm...wonder any side effect eg nerves system breakdown if using it too long.