Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Wishlist for Marine Aquarium 3 and Future (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8)

Digital Lungfish 03-21-2001 03:30 AM

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST (3D Background)

It's true that paralax isn't necessary for a 3D background such as this, but it could only improve upon it if anything. No big deal, it was just a passing thought anyway. :)

- DL

feldon34 03-21-2001 03:52 AM

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST (3D Background)

Parallax is multiple 2D sprite "strips" at varying vertical heights which move at different speeds to simulate 3D. The new background will be *completely* 3D including the gravel floor. It will have infinite degrees of parallax because there's nothing fake.

Lostboy 03-23-2001 08:25 PM

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST

May I suggest a few colourful wrasses?

http://www.aquarist.net/photo/gallery/wrasse2.jpgCheckerboard Wrasse
http://www.flyingfishexpress.com/fis.../christmas.jpgChristmas Wrasse
http://www.flyingfishexpress.com/fis...lime_coris.jpgLime Coris Wrasse
http://www.flyingfishexpress.com/fis.../hardwicki.jpgHardwicki Wrasse

ajlaban 03-27-2001 12:14 PM

Moorish Idol

Hi Folks,

I'm only a week or so into this forum and I have read maybe 50% of what has been posted so forgive me if the following has been addressed.

Any idea if Jim has plans to include the Moorish Idol? I know it is on the wishlist but I've read no comments about it. It is my fav fish of all. I realize that the length of the "thingies" would pose programing problems and that the Wimplefish with similar coloration is already in the tank but it is not nearly as majestic.

Jim Sachs 03-27-2001 12:37 PM

Re: Moorish Idol

Probably not. The Wimplefish, also known as the "Poor man's Moorish Idol", looks so similar that most people wouldn't know the difference.

ajlaban 03-27-2001 07:53 PM

Jim,

Sad but understandable. To me the Wimplefish looks much more like a fresh water angel than a Moorish Idol. The "face" on the Moorish Idol is incredibly unique and it is much better proportioned, by comparison the Wimple looks like in was in a wreck.

Oh well, can't have everything!

ajlaban 03-27-2001 08:01 PM

My revised picture of the Moorish Idol did not show up on the last post because I forgot to check "use photo" when I changed it.

feldon34 03-31-2001 12:26 AM

From an e-mail...

Quote:

I would like Jim to include this good-looking invertebrate.

Name: Biscuit Starfish

https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...iscuitstar.jpg

Thank you in advance
Alex

Digital Lungfish 03-31-2001 03:35 AM

I have to say, that's a very unique looking starfish. Sure wouldn't mind seeing that in the aquarium.

- DL

Tiny Turtle 03-31-2001 03:10 PM

Fish swimming diagonally

The forums have had lots of ideas about fish swimming further into the tank, but what I just noticed is that no fish swim diagonally in or out. It's either along the X-, Y- or Z-axis. Can't we have 'em in combinations?

Jim Sachs 04-01-2001 01:24 AM

Re: Fish swimming diagonally

Maybe, when the background becomes 3D.

Tiny Turtle 04-01-2001 06:06 AM

Oh, guess I didn't think that through enough...

Tiny Turtle 04-01-2001 06:49 AM

Another round of side scrolling ideas

In a future version side-scrolling could become an option if I'm reading the forum posts correctly. I have three ideas on this:

1. Make the scrolling optional

2. Make the scrolling speed user-defineable (sp?)

3. Since side-scrolling would indicate a larger tank, wouldn't we (Jim) have circumvented the "seven is the maximum number of fish a tank the size of the screen would hold without looking unrealistic"-rule?

Then all those people who dream about showing off their video cards could have more fish to play with, even though they/you don't see the whole tank (and most likely not all of the fish) at the same time.

Digital Lungfish 04-01-2001 07:03 AM

Hey Turtle,

Where did you get that image next to your name? It looks familiar to me, it resembles an image used in Native American myth.

It's been a while and I could be slightly off base (probably because I've become a bit disconnected from my Mohawk/Iroquois roots over the years), but I think it resembles the Great Turtle. Let me see, if I remember correctly, the story goes something like this -

"There was only the limitless vault of sky and the infinite waters of ocean. Above the sky there was a Sky World where living gods existed. In this Sky World there was a couple. While the pregnant woman was gathering food beneath a tremendous tree, she broke a hole down into the sky and fell, grasping at the plants which grew among the roots of the sky tree. A long way did she fall. Sea birds flying in the sky saw the woman falling. They circled together and formed a flying raft which caught the woman and kept her from falling into the vast sea below. Some of the sea birds called to the ocean creatures below to help save the woman. A Great Turtle emerged from the vast sea and agreed that he could take the woman upon his back. There she existed. The sky above and the sea all around. Finally a muskrat appeared, he dove to the bottom of the sea and retrieved a small amount of dirt within the grasp of his paws. With this soil, the woman grew the plants which remained in her hands and in time the Great Turtle became the earth."

Then again, you could have just downloaded that image and had no idea what it meant, but I was curious just the same. :)

- DL

Tiny Turtle 04-01-2001 11:41 AM

Tiny Turtle logo

Hey DL!

The logo is an original design by myself, created about four years ago.

I'm really into turtles so your story was interesting to read. Did you now that Chinese mythology also has a "Great Turtle" as a fundamental part of the world?

Because I have a snapping turtle myself the logo turtle had to have the caracteristic long tail of the snapper, and at least when I got him, he was tiny...

/Calle Soderberg, Borlange Sweden

Digital Lungfish 04-01-2001 11:11 PM

Re: Tiny Turtle logo

A snapping turtle eh? I just saw one at the San Diego Zoo today, big monster of a turtle. :) I've always thought they were interesting, where did you get yours at and how big is he/she now?

- DL

asprague 04-03-2001 12:03 PM

I apologize if this has been requested before.

I would like to have a separate volume control in the Settings for the screen saver. I prefer to have the bubble sound very low, much lower than the volume I wish for listening to CSPAN, for example.

Tiny Turtle 04-03-2001 12:51 PM

Re: Tiny Turtle logo

I know this is Off Topic, group, so please don't flame me too much (would be kinda neat to be flamed in this, the nicest of forums, though...)

Spike about four and a half year old and I've had him since he was less than an inch long (legal here in Sweden, not in the U.S...) right now he's reached a carapace length of around almost eight inches and is weighing in somewhere around 4.5 lbs...

Tiny Turtle 04-09-2001 12:34 PM

"Auto update" for the retail version

I'm thinking about all those future customers not knowing which way is up on their computers. Wouldn't it be a good feature to put a "Update the screensaver" button in the settings which would connect to the i-net and check if there's a newer version available and then proceed to automagically download the latest incarnation of mr. Sachs efforts and install (I mean replace ;-) it?

Then they wouldn't have to worry 'bout versions or URLs or any such nuiscances (sp?). Then again, this might be too automated and microsoftish for everybody else`...

04-10-2001 05:11 AM

Random Fish

Apologies if this has already been suggested.

I mostly just have all 7 fish set to random, however there a couple the of fish types I don't particularly like, and it would be good to have a way of stopping these from appearing as random fish.

I'm thinking along the lines of a set of check boxes where you could mark each of the fish types as 'active'. Taking a fish off Random and setting it to a particular type could over ride the checkboxes for that particular fish. This would allow you, for instance, to ensure that you only had one of a particular fish type, while allowing the rest to remain random.