Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Wishlist for Marine Aquarium 3 and Future (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8)

schneb 06-15-2006 12:59 PM

Love The Newcomer

I love the new Achilles Tang. Takes me back to snorkeling in Maui. Did my video help design her? A great reproduction of its color--just as I remembered it.

Quick question. Would it be possible to fake sea anemone movement by dissolving between two, three or four backgrounds? Perhaps doing this in only the areas that require movement? I have posted an example in the link below. It was made in Flash with only two images.

http://www.schneblin.com/misc/anemone.html

Could this help create movement without taxing the CPU?

johnblommers 06-15-2006 01:44 PM

What resolution?

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wombat
I've just got Marine Aquarium V2.6, and it is great. I send the output from my computer to my widescreen LCD TV via a TV Out S1-video connection, and it is magic. ...

Hey Wombat, what resolution do you have your HDTV set to when you display the MA screen saver on it?

480p :(
720p :|
1080p :TU:

I would expect serious pixelation because the coral and stuff is relatively low res. As we speak I am using a Dell 2405FPW 24-inch LCD panel set to millions of colors and 1920x1200 resolution. The coral and stuff is rather blocky and pixelated.

Take a look at the attached screenshot.

C'mon back ....

- John

Jim Sachs 06-15-2006 04:43 PM

Schneb - Not sure if that actually gives the impression of movement. It just looks a little blurry to me. The technique I'm working on will run an actual animation in certain areas of the screen. Waiting for my new HD videocam to arrive.

schneb 06-15-2006 06:41 PM

I guess I made it too subtle. I have my Sony HD camera and it is alot of fun! Had to buy the Intel iMac just to edit the footage!

Jim Sachs 06-15-2006 10:43 PM

Which camcorder did you get? I ordered the little HVR-A1U.

schneb 06-15-2006 10:56 PM

HD

I have the HDR-HC1 Sony. I got it off eBay. Except for a few things here and there, it does a nice job for a hobbyist like myself.

Tiny Turtle 06-16-2006 02:58 PM

Morg,
The link in the first post of this thread looks a bit flaky. Might want to edit it (minor issue).

schneb 06-16-2006 03:31 PM

Flaky? How so? What would you change?

drfish 06-16-2006 03:33 PM

Making the link work for starters... ;)

feldon34 06-16-2006 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiny Turtle
Morg,
The link in the first post of this thread looks a bit flaky. Might want to edit it (minor issue).

Fixed. Thanks!

Wombat 06-19-2006 03:46 AM

[quote=johnblommers]Hey Wombat, what resolution do you have your HDTV set to when you display the MA screen saver on it?

480p :(
720p :|
1080p :TU:

I would expect serious pixelation because the coral and stuff is relatively low res. As we speak I am using a Dell 2405FPW 24-inch LCD panel set to millions of colors and 1920x1200 resolution. The coral and stuff is rather blocky and pixelated.

Take a look at the attached screenshot.

C'mon back ....

- John

Hi John,
My LCD TV is capable of 720p/1080i but I'm not using HDTV resolution as I'm only using a standard resolution Digital set-top box for TV. For Serenescreen, I plug the S-Video TV-out connector on my laptop to the S-Video input on the TV. The normal resolution on my laptop is 1440x900 but if I set Serenescreen to that, the display on the TV is badly clipped. The TV display is 1386x768 (WXGA). So I set Serenescreen to the nearest available resolution (1024x768) and that looks OK, although not as good as it does on the computer at 1440x900. I get no blocky or pixillated pictures that you see, but perhaps that is because my S-Video cable is 20metres long, and I must suffer some high frequency attenuation.
Regards,
Wombat (That's rednosed, not hairynosed)

feldon34 06-19-2006 08:13 AM

The Aquarium is 1024 x 768.
The Aquarium set to widescreen is 1280 x 768.
Perfect for running 1280 x 720 (720p).

edaniels 06-22-2006 03:00 PM

Hey, Jim et al....

Anybody notice the nod from Jon Stewart on The Daily Show the other night? He was talking about some marine preserve off Hawaii, and said something like "the area is home to thousands of species of fish, and has inspired our most fascinating screensavers."

I know yours is not technically a screensaver, but clearly he was referring to your Marine Aquarium.

Tiny Turtle 06-22-2006 03:11 PM

Perhaps he meant the Hawaiian salt water goldfish of your tank? (at least it's fascinating :) )

johnblommers 06-22-2006 04:45 PM

Copy that

Quote:

Hi John,
My LCD TV is capable of 720p/1080i but I'm not using HDTV resolution as I'm only using a standard resolution Digital set-top box for TV. For Serenescreen, I plug the S-Video TV-out connector on my laptop to the S-Video input on the TV. The normal resolution on my laptop is 1440x900 but if I set Serenescreen to that, the display on the TV is badly clipped. The TV display is 1386x768 (WXGA). So I set Serenescreen to the nearest available resolution (1024x768) and that looks OK, although not as good as it does on the computer at 1440x900. I get no blocky or pixillated pictures that you see, but perhaps that is because my S-Video cable is 20metres long, and I must suffer some high frequency attenuation.
Regards,
Wombat (That's rednosed, not hairynosed)

Cool, thanks for sharing your video resolution setup, Wombat. The bandwidth available for S-video over your 20-foot cable will have a smoothing effect due to the low pass filtering. Plus you're not shooting for the very high 1080p resolution.

I know how nice Serenescreen can look even on a huge HD screen like 52-inches or so, though you do have to step back to appreciate the colors and composition. I saw this last year at a CompUSA where the had an HP media center PC hooked to it, and LO! they had the Serenescreen saver running.

The Serenescreen that ships with MS Media Center has the nice blue gravel - that blue gravel is not available for the Mac version, and I have not found a way to pursuade Jim Sachs to remedy that product gap :lol:

Take care!

- John

feldon34 06-22-2006 05:02 PM

Quote:

The TV display is 1386x768 (WXGA). So I set Serenescreen to the nearest available resolution (1024x768) and that looks OK, although not as good as it does on the computer at 1440x900.

The Aquarium will run at 1280 x 768 which should look better. Set the Aquarium to Widescreen.

Jim Sachs 06-23-2006 02:18 AM

Eric - Yes, my daughter and I happened to be watching Jon Stewart when he said that. We both looked at each other and laughed.

Wombat 06-26-2006 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feldon30
The Aquarium will run at 1280 x 768 which should look better. Set the Aquarium to Widescreen.

Mine won't set to 1280x768 - only to 1280x800, and when I set to that, the TV clips about 10% from the sides, and if I turn widescreen on, it still clips the sides and goes to letterbox, with black bands top and bottom.
I guess I will stick to 1024x768, which fills the TV screen nicely.
Thanks anyway.

waderobb1 07-27-2006 11:41 AM

Just a note regarding the product. Everybody, EVERYBODY!, that comes by loves the screensaver. I sent a note the other day about stuff I would enjoy seeing and thought I would add it here. On a program I use for pictures, Thumbs Plus Pro, they have a loupe that will move around the screen. My son is really into the tropical environment as we just visited Hawaii and I would love to see this feature on the screen for detailed study of the scene. It could be pulled around by the mouse or allowed to wander. The picture program allows for up to 800% magnification.

Jim Sachs 07-27-2006 01:01 PM

The only problem with a magnified view is that someone (me) would have to put in all that detail.