Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum

Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Goldfish Aquarium 2 for Windows (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What's it look like? (Snapshot of Goldfish Aquarium) (https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1314)

feldon34 03-27-2003 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by drfish
Thanks Morgan. I was hoping for an answer from Reichart too though... I thought it be interesting for all of us to know the frame rate we can expect from different system setups
Another helpful statistic might be that Reichart has a GeForce 2 MX400 in his PC and he runs FlagPride FoNA, Goldfish beta, etc. on it.

drfish 03-28-2003 05:32 AM

Ahhh... That does help, I failed to pick up on that eariler... Thanks.

Now I guess the question is what resolution does he run it at and what's his frame rate at that res... And of course his CPU speed...

...if he would be so kind...

Reichart 03-28-2003 01:45 PM

Reichart's specs

Well, lets see...

Actually I just got a new computer, I have a Toshiba S703, W2K, 2 Ghz, running a GeForce4 460 Go, at 1600x1200x32I don't screw with any of the nVidia Like Morg does, but I do use my extrernal monitor.

All of these are with or without the limit checked.

MAT 40fps.
MA2 60fps
FN 60fps

Goldfish numbers are not in yet, becuase we are still optimizing.

The driver is the defaul it came with (3.6.3.9)

drfish 04-07-2003 04:27 AM

Hey, just to let everyone know... After showing her the pictures of the Goldfish Aquarium and some fast talking I was able to convince Jennifer to let me get her a new video card! We ordered one of these so it will do all kinds of nifty stuff. :) ATI is running a promotion now so it also comes with a free Remote Wonder, not too bad of a deal... Anyway, I'm happy. :cheers:

James 04-07-2003 05:18 AM

geek, good on u....
however, for me I'll just try out the GA first to see if ym current video card is capable enough , if it's not then I'll buy a new one, this should save any risk if I over spending my money...

so when will GA become available? it's been few weeks past... :p

Jav400 04-07-2003 05:23 AM

Guess? I think maybe 2 more weeks.

top_Cat 04-07-2003 05:25 AM

2 more weeks :( I thought it would be out in a couple of days.... the wait continues. Thanks Jav400 for the update though

feldon34 04-07-2003 09:53 AM

I wonder how I can make the notice on the front page of the forum more noticeable.

drfish 04-07-2003 02:15 PM

James,
I know her's wouldn't run it... ...Intel integrated video... besides, I've always wanted an All In Wonder card anyway... :)

ewald 04-07-2003 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by feldon27
I wonder how I can make the notice on the front page of the forum more noticeable.

no don't - make the GA appear sooner instead ;)

Ralph 04-07-2003 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by feldon27
Just a thought, but perhaps 3rd or 4th week of April. In one or two weeks is rather vague if you did not note when the notice was posted or is not dated. :D

Skiadogs 04-08-2003 08:44 AM

I dont know about the rest but 3times out of four I get 'Got Flags' notice instead...

xrayspex 04-18-2003 08:24 PM

Looks and sounds like it is going to be very nice! Looking foward to the public beta release.

Reichart 04-22-2003 02:53 AM

Look no further. Get your free demo from www.LifeGlobe.com, or taking advantage of the low introductory price of $14.95.

AtomicCow 10-24-2003 10:27 PM

Goldfish Aquarium

I am a proud owner of the Marine aquarium since before 1.0. Unfortunately I don't think the golfish aquarium is ready for primetime even though it is being sold.

Either through craft of illusion by keeping the fish small Marine Aquarium creates a completely convincing environment the goldfish aquarium does not achieve.

Probably the most obvious deficiency is the goldfish like to face the screen and show off one of their most obvious shortcomings. The primitive, hinged no lip mouth. The interior reflecting too much light furthur destroys the illusion. Second there is a stiff feel to the fins as if there is a supporting fixed parent spine. Whatever is causing it, it just has a sense of falseness about it.
I am also more aware of the wrapped texture than ever before and the lack of modeling to keep the poly count down is obvious.

A goldfish is a considerably more difficult animal to model. And the larger size demands more real structure that can't be compensated for with phototexture and bump maps. It needs real geometry. Furthur the plant movement is a displacement trick and feels as such.

The caustics and bubbles are of course still exceptional. The modeling on the plants is also lovely. Without the marine aquarium to compare to, Goldfish Aquarium would have been an impressive screensaver. It is impressive compared to the majority of the junk that is out there. Its a great job but it feels more like a well developed start than meeting the amazing realistic standards & minimal magician's 'tells' that are the trademark of the marine aquarium. I am not jealous at all of the movements and behaviors. The lionfish is more convincing though it probably has some of the same issues with the mouth. The flaws are not telegraphed so obviously. My mind doesn't really question the reality of the marine fish. The goldfish read as fake right away. Oreo works a little better because of the black mouth.

Ralph 10-25-2003 06:50 AM

Very well articulated... And agree with your points and observations.