Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 10-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
jroseone
Registered

Random does not seem to be random?

I notice that the same fish are in the tank at the start of the program, even if I have random fish selected.

So even though I have 14 random fish set to show up in tank, the same 14 fish are in the tank every time I access the program.

Also if I make 5 sets of 14 fish all random and set it to cycle sets they all always have the same 14 fish.

I tried to delete the default set but it still does it.
jroseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
Jim Sachs
Developer

What are the settings you are using for a random set? If you click on a set name, then click ALL RANDOM, set the number of fish in the tank to 10, then exit the Settings boxes, don't you get 10 random fish?
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
jroseone
Registered

Once I go into the fish settings, and make changes then go back to the tank the fish are random.

But every time I exit the program and then start it again it starts with the same set of fish.

So it is random coming out of the fish settings each time, but it always starts off with the same set of fish.

Also and this may be by design, but the restore default settings command (ALT R) does not reset the fish settings to there original format.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
Jim Sachs
Developer

Try an experiment: Bring up the Fish Settings box. Delete all fish sets but one, and click on that one. Click All Random to turn off any blocked fish. Set just one total fish (one random fish), Click OK to go back into the Aquarium, and note which fish is swimming.

Now exit and restart the program. There should be a 29/30 chance that the fish will be different each time.

There is not yet any Restore Default Settings, though I'll be putting one in soon.
Jim Sachs
Old 10-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
jroseone
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Try an experiment: Bring up the Fish Settings box. Delete all fish sets but one, and click on that one. Click All Random to turn off any blocked fish. Set just one total fish (one random fish), Click OK to go back into the Aquarium, and note which fish is swimming.

Now exit and restart the program. There should be a 29/30 chance that the fish will be different each time.

There is not yet any Restore Default Settings, though I'll be putting one in soon.  
Ok I tried your suggestion and every time the saver starts it's the same fish, and he's always in the same place over by the starfish.

It's always the holacanthus tricolor, I also notice that when there is a bunch of fish they always start out in the exact same place each time I start the program.

Oh and the statistics are always displayed with each start even after you select them off.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Jim Sachs
Developer

Beta testers - Is anyone else able to duplicate this bug?

Regarding the Statisitics - during the Beta test period, the program will always start with them showing. That way you instantly know which Beta version you are running.

Jroseone - Could you upload a shot of your fish selector screen, if it looks different from this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FishSet.jpg (101.2 KB, 25 views)
Jim Sachs
Old 10-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Trying that I get different fish every time.

JRose,
Stupid question maybe, but you have all fishes set as "Nuber of fish: ?" - not "0", right?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Interesting problem.. I get the same fish "Forceps" each time I start the SS and in the same part of the tank. However each time I go to the settings box and click OK I get a new fish.. in a different part of the tank. But.. closing and re opening SS3 it goes back to "Forceps".. and in the same left side of tank
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
Jim Sachs
Developer

Does your fish settings screen look like the one I posted above?
Jim Sachs
Old 10-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Dreamster
Banned

My settings are the same as yours Jim but I am getting the same fish when I start up the saver.
Dreamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #11
Jim Sachs
Developer

Your settings screen looks identical to the one I posted? Just one fish set, which is highlighted, one fish in the tank, no chosen or disabled fish?
Jim Sachs
Old 10-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #12
Dale
Banned

Duplicated

Yes, I report duplicating this bug.

With fish settings of ?, 1, 1 - and also 0 (starfish disabled), 1, 1 MA3 always starts with the Longfin Bannerfish as the "random" fish. Picking one fish to always be there (plus enabling the starfish), settings of ?, 1, 2 MA3 always starts with the French Angelfish (plus the one I picked).

[Note: on a slightly different subject, I note that the thumbnail display in the Screen Saver window shows "lots of fish" regardless of settings. That's probably simpler, of course, so it's just "interesting"]
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #13
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

JRose/Dale,
Which OS are you guys running?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
Dale
Banned

Which OS, and additional reports.

Refer to my previous post, and call that Computer #1. Windows XP Pro SP3

Computer #2, running Windows XP Pro SP3.
Settings ?,1,1 -- random fish always starts as Addis Butterflyfish
Settings 1,1,2 -- random fish always starts as Koran Angelfish

Computer #3A, running Windows XP Pro SP3.
Settings ?,1,1 -- random fish always starts as Redfin Butterflyfish
Settings 1,1,2 -- random fish always starts as Flame Angelfish

Computer #3B - same computer as 3A, but running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
Settings ?,1,1 -- random fish always starts as Clearfin Lionfish
Settings 1,1,2 -- random fish always starts as Royal Gramma

Footnote: "always starts" means, regardless of whether I'm starting it as a "preview", or setting the time to 1 minute and letting it start that way - several times.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:31 PM   #15
Jim Sachs
Developer

It sounds like the Random Seed might not be getting set properly. I'll do some research.
Jim Sachs
Old 10-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Does your fish settings screen look like the one I posted above?  
Yes.. but I did not have the cycle fish tanks selected. At the time I had two tanks. When selected the tanks cycle... with one odd behavior.. it would come up with NO fish on the third.
So... I deleted all tanks. Now... same ish kind of problem.. every alternate tank is empty.. the fish count goes to "0" as well. cycling through... many times this alternation is present.. and the same fish shows up.

Strangely.. doing the same on my Vista notebook I get a different fish..(clown fish) but never randomized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fish settings.JPG (157.5 KB, 9 views)
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #17
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, the bug which causes an empty tank each time the cycle repeats was reported in another thread. That was an easy one to fix - I was just mis-counting.
Jim Sachs
Old 10-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #18
jroseone
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
Trying that I get different fish every time.

JRose,
Stupid question maybe, but you have all fishes set as "Nuber of fish: ?" - not "0", right?  
Yes the number of each fish is set to ?

Setting it to 0 disables the fish.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #19
jroseone
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
JRose/Dale,
Which OS are you guys running?  
I am running it on Windos Vista 32 bit.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:39 AM   #20
Jim Sachs
Developer

OK, I think I've got it fixed. I'm seeding the random generator a little differently.

Beta2 will have the fix.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows